This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Multiplayer is getting old

#21majinbuu58Posted 5/19/2013 9:04:38 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
dtaylor0093 posted...
I really hope this trend comes to a complete halt, it's worrying me for next generation of consoles.

Quit gaming, then. It's not going to.

The only thing I want is for devs to take a chance with less traditional multiplayers. Asymetrical gameplay or things like Heist, L4D...
#22The Waynos BumPosted 5/19/2013 10:16:52 AM
Honestly, I was excited when I first heard that Tomb Raider was going to have multiplayer. I imagined that two or more teams would be racing to reach the treasure/out of the cave first, by solving puzzles that needed to be done with teamwork (similar to the Splinter Cell multiplayer on the OldBox).

Then I found out it was going to be normal deathmatch and capture the flag modes. What a total waste of potential.

It doesn't matter how innovative the next consoles are going to be if it's going to be the same gameplay-rut that we've been stuck in for the last 6 years or so.
---
Canya a l'Europa del capital!
#23chrcolPosted 5/19/2013 12:42:07 PM
"I don't love it, but it's a common misconception that it takes away from the single player."

you havent played fable 2/3 then especially fable 3.
#24DxZ99Posted 5/19/2013 1:55:22 PM
Not just that ''tacked on'' multiplayer that is stale, but when devs omit older MP features that made their franchise stand out. I.E Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, having zero matchmaking for its co-op features. When co-op was a STAPLE for previous GR games. -.-

Not to mention very limited customization for custom games, another staple for previous GR games.

Improve! Not omit!
#25Dragon NexusPosted 5/19/2013 3:28:27 PM
The SP was such a huge step backwards compared to the previous games.

I felt it was actually a step up from ME2.
Had a nice balance between RPG and shooter.

My only complaints had to do with the writing. But what are you gonna do when your head writer, the guy behind the story thus far, leaves part way through the project?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#26NIN_tendoPosted 5/19/2013 3:37:48 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

My only complaints had to do with the writing. But what are you gonna do when your head writer, the guy behind the story thus far, leaves part way through the project?

This, people love to put it on the MP or EA but the fact of the matter is Bioware's writing team are the ones to blame. Gameplay wise ME3 is by far the best in the series, the only problems anyone ever brings up are in regards to the story or just mindlessly bashing the MP because "it takes away from the SP!" What exactly would we have gotten had the MP not been added? Would the story have suddenly been better because of no MP?
---
Wii FC 3756-1965-4560-5571
360 GT xX NIN tendo
#27green_aboboPosted 5/19/2013 3:51:17 PM
most of the time, the problem is that roughly half of a development budget goes towards the MP, & this takes away from the single player content.

not to mention gameplay mechanics have to be developed & balanced, with MP functionality in mind, further detracting from sp potential.

if I want social networking i'd hit up facebook.

games need to go back to their roots. just keep it simple. I say don't go in there with a plan to split the budget. just start off with the idea for a game & go with it. see where it ends up.

if mp really adds to the enjoyment of the game, then so be it. make sure there sp content is there as a priority however.

if your core gameplay is fun, there's no need to convolute it with things like mp, trophies, & other garbage that has almost nothing to do with a good gaming experience.

genre has a lot to do with the mp determination I suppose. shooters seem to be the predominant onus of MP development these days.

call me old school. I have to be in the right mood to even talk to people online let alone actually want to play a game with them, regardless of skill level.
#28IloveElitePosted 5/19/2013 4:00:32 PM
dtaylor0093 posted...
Anybody else getting tired of tacked-on multiplayer, on single player games? I think it cripples single player mode making it a mediocre product.

Agreed, better they concentrate on their game and drop multiplayer.

Would suit me fine tbh.
---
Currently playing: MH3U and Lego City Undercover
Waiting for: Elite:Dangerous, Pikmin 3, GTA V
#29Carribean_CoolPosted 5/20/2013 10:34:42 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

IMO that was the only good part, the combat.

-The squad was a huge disappointment

-The sidequests are 3 quarters of fetch quests. Eavesdrop, scan and return.

-Only one hub world. We should have had the option of exploring Earth and Thessia before they got invaded

-Temporary squadmates were supposed to be in the game, and Thane was actually revealed to be one at one point, but we all know what happened with that

-ME2 squadmates were going to have much bigger roles as well, but of course that was cut

-Remember that trail we were supposed to get at the beginning?

-Autodialogue, and most of the time only having 2 choices of it.

-The squad mostly getting Zaeed style dialogue

-The final mission was so underwhelming, and we should have seen our assets at work. Even on Youtube, there are cut dialogue from Jack, Zaeed, Jacob and Grunt fighting on Earth.

Truth is, there was a lot of cut content that was supposed to be in this game. This game should have been in 3 years dev time, just like the previous games. That extra delay was simply not enough, and needed another one, especially with all the different variables from the previous games. Don't get me wrong, its still a good game, its just wasn't to its full potential.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.