This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need a new controller

#1LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 5/19/2013 10:52:57 AM
Wouldn't be an issue, usually, except I've noticed that 360 controllers usually have atrocious d-pad issues, with many of them not registering at least half of the directions unless the button is pushed down completely every time, which is impractical for most instances where it would be used.

Have the controllers gotten any better in quality lately, wih regards to the d-pad? Are there any models of the 1st party Microsoft controllers that do well with the d-pad? I saw something about a wireless controller with a "transformable" d-pad or something -- how well does that work out?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#2GaratuzoPosted 5/19/2013 10:55:19 AM
I wish they made the transformable ones in wired version. I hate wireless.
#3SnickleseedPosted 5/19/2013 11:01:22 AM
The ones with the transforming D-pad are vastly superior to the original. They're still not perfect but at least when you press LEFT the game registers that you pressed LEFT and not DOWN...

Interestingly, you can often get a game themed Limited Edition controller with the transforming pad cheaper than you can get the regular pad if you keep your eyes peeled. About a year ago I got the MW3 controller for $39 compared to $59 for the regular one.
---
i report trolls
#4LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 5/19/2013 11:08:10 AM
Snickleseed posted...
The ones with the transforming D-pad are vastly superior to the original. They're still not perfect but at least when you press LEFT the game registers that you pressed LEFT and not DOWN...

Interestingly, you can often get a game themed Limited Edition controller with the transforming pad cheaper than you can get the regular pad if you keep your eyes peeled. About a year ago I got the MW3 controller for $39 compared to $59 for the regular one.

So transforming d-pad is the way to go? My problem has usually been that the d-pads of older controllers will not register in some directions except at maximum pressure, making them extremely cumbersome to use., not that the button would register the wrong direction.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#5656stoogePosted 5/19/2013 11:19:49 AM(edited)
If you're still using an original white controller then the d-pads for all models have improved slightly. I even have one now that works in every single direction. Unfortunately the left trigger squeaks and drives me insane, and my brand new black controller has the issue where the d-pad bumps the side and of the circle housing and only registers half the time.
So, while the standard controllers have improved a little, it's still a crap shoot if your goal is to find a perfect d-pad.

The transforming ones a pretty good though, but as always, there's a downside. They break. And they break often. Not only have I seen dozens of complaints online about this, as well as a few youtube vids (just type broke 360 d-pad into google), but everyone I know that owned one has had the thing break on them.
I've even been in a game store when a guy was bringing one back to return for that reason.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#6pyrokinesis666Posted 5/19/2013 11:23:59 AM
all controllers are 20% off at best buy this week
#7LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 5/19/2013 11:34:27 AM
656stooge posted...
If you're still using an original white controller then the d-pads for all models have improved slightly. I even have one now that works in every single direction. Unfortunately the left trigger squeaks and drives me insane, and my brand new black controller has the issue where the d-pad bumps the side and of the circle housing and only registers half the time.
So, while the standard controllers have improved a little, it's still a crap shoot if your goal is to find a perfect d-pad.

The transforming ones a pretty good though, but as always, there's a downside. They break. And they break often. Not only have I seen dozens of complaints online about this, as well as a few youtube vids (just type broke 360 d-pad into google), but everyone I know that owned one has had the thing break on them.
I've even been in a game store when a guy was bringing one back to return for that reason.

Huh, good to know about the transforming ones. That could be a dealbreaker.

Most of mine were original white wireless controllers (I also have a very old white wired one I've used little, mainly because the d-pad is universally unresponsive and requires a high amount of pressure to get ANY direction to activate).

If the d-pads have improved (in general), does that apply only to black controllers, or do more recently manufactured white controllers have the same improvement?

pyrokinesis666 posted...
all controllers are 20% off at best buy this week

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.
---
Lost, but not forgotten.
#8656stoogePosted 5/19/2013 11:53:12 AM(edited)
To be honest I don't think I've seen a white controller over here in Australia since the slim came out, so I couldn't tell you. But I think it's safe to assume that they'd be the same.

Do you know anyone with a newer controller that you could try out? I don't want talk you into getting a regular controller with the expectation that it's improved, only for you to be disappointed, as I'm only going off my personal experience here.

I had three launch white controller and always had problems with the d-pad. I even spent days trying to file one of them down so it wouldn't rub against the side of the housing so much.
Anyway, when I tried my brothers new black controller I noticed it felt a bit nicer. It didn't require as much pressure to press down, and it seemed to register directions consistently, so I bought one of my own and it was perfect.
That's pretty much all the research I've done into the matter though, and as I said, the most recent controller of mine (the one that came with my new slim), has the issue where it rubs against the side. Only very slightly though, and only the UP direction.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#9LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 5/19/2013 12:04:59 PM
Well, the only issue I've had with 360 controllers has been unresponsiveness with the d-pad, where one or more directions require an excessive amount of force to make the input register (more than a normal press of the button in most gameplay). If a controller doesn't have that problem, it's good in my eyes. If it does... then I return it. I've returned more than twice as many controllers as I've kept over the years, because I refuse to deal with that sort of issue.

As it is now, I have one more white wireless controller that has a fully-functional d-pad (from what I could tell from testing it earlier). I'm gonna get a new wired and wireless controller to replace the old not-working-well ones I have (2 wireless and 1 wired), and hopefully sell the old ones to recoup some of the cost (I'll note the problems the have, so potential buyers aren't deceived).

I'll also return as many controllers as it takes until I get one that works properly.
---
Lost, but not forgotten.
#10TantrumBullPosted 5/19/2013 12:17:47 PM
I actually like this controller since the d-pad is better than the one on the standard controller:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ref=sr_1_129?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1358313551&sr=1-129
---
For what ever reason G_gglypuff completely forgot Ninja Gaiden Black is an Xbox game even though I told him it is and even told him I have it. >_<