This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Souls 2. Be worried. Be very...worried.

#1Dragon NexusPosted 5/20/2013 1:10:54 PM
So Namco;s head of marketting has gone on record saying perhaps the most depressing thing he could have said about Dark Souls 2's development. They're aiming to make it a AAA game, going in guns blazing and hoping to God that this tactic will work.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7340-Guns-Blazing

Take a watch. See if you can understand why this is god awful news.

It's so tiresome watching publishers demand AAA status from all games. There doesn't seem to be a thng called "Good enough" these days, all games seem designed with one goal in mind; to be the best in the genre.

Why? Why is that a requirement? Can't something simply be good by itself? Does a game need millions poured into marketting based on an assumption that THIS will be the next Call of duty. The next Halo. The next Gran Turismo or Skyrim or whatever? Why can't a game have a reasonable budget with reasonable expectations and simply be good on its own merits, making a tidy profit and moving on from there?

Why is 5 million sales for Resident Evil 5 considered a flop? Can you even fathom how perverse that is? Some developers would sell their genitals to medical science for 5 million sales and Capcom considers that a failure? Based only on their unrealistic expectations of the Resident Evil brand name, I can only assume.

So yeah, let the debate begin.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#2ACHEEKSMALLOYPosted 5/20/2013 1:13:15 PM
cant get much worse than the first two games
---
http://www.youtube.com/ALMIGHTYCHEEKS
#3drointhewindPosted 5/20/2013 1:14:26 PM
Well thats just great, What AAA games mean to me

1. Dumbed to so casuals can play

2. Short and cinematic, 30% of the game will be QTE

3. Day 1 dlc

Everything that Dark souls is not
---
On DLC: ""You know what would make this better? Paying more money."- Cracked.com
#4drointhewindPosted 5/20/2013 1:16:30 PM
Theres what I wanted to see, "Widening the net a little" lets dumb it down and make it "Accessible" ARG!!!!!!
---
On DLC: ""You know what would make this better? Paying more money."- Cracked.com
#5darkphoenix181Posted 5/20/2013 1:17:57 PM
Hipster game is now made mainsteam. This will go over well.
---
proud owner of Pikanips
#6WhitGameR44Posted 5/20/2013 1:19:13 PM
I actually hope this isn't true because the Dark Souls troll fanboys are the worst on this site. It would get 100x worse if they were all now completely butthurt about their "gaming perfection".
---
Last Game: Tomb Raider [360]
Next Game: Metro Last Light [360]
#7ElusiveOneXPosted 5/20/2013 1:19:36 PM
Is this where I make wild assumptions about the quality of this game prior to playing it?
#8moondog84Posted 5/20/2013 1:24:21 PM
Online Pass maybe?
---
Spaceballs the Signature
#9Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2013 1:24:42 PM
Precisely.
I'll clarify, I'm not against the Easy Mode. That doesn't bother me one jot. I wouldn't use it...but if others want to then fine, they're not taking away from my enjoyment.

What worries me is there's the potential for a paradigm shift here in terms of gameplay. Things getting shoe horned in that no-one wanted or asked for because, hey, everyone else does it.

There's a fear in the gaming industry of trying anything new. I do sort of understand it, but come on without new stuff we'd never get anywhere. People often don't realise they want something new until you give it to them. If you're doing somethig new, approach it cautiously. Don't barrel in with a $500,000,000 budget and then cry when it fails.

If you attempt to appeal to everyone you'll just get a bland game that only kinda appeals to people.
It's especially moronic they're apparently aiming for the Skyrim audience. What kind of thinking is that? Dark Souls worked because it knew what it wanted to be and appealed to the audience that enjoys it. I like both games, but the fanboy war between which is better is moronic. No-one argues if Gran turismo or Burn Out is better, so why this? Because they're both fantasy games with swords and monsters? Okay.

There's an overlap, sure, I live in that overlap. But to think the people who only want to play Skyrim didn't buy Dark Souls simply because it wasn't dumbed down enough for them is cretinous thinking.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#10ARsignal11Posted 5/20/2013 1:25:00 PM
I could have sworn that I read this a few weeks ago and that Namco was going to advertise it like AAA game.