This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Love it, hate it, let's face it- unless the Price is Wrong, this will reign.

#1TheApd_ReturnsPosted 5/21/2013 10:39:24 AM
As long as they market it (hint hint, Nintendo) and it's reasonably priced, I think this will be household/casual console of choice. It has so much value-added home media features that will make it a shoe-in holiday tech purchase. Plus, it will have the presumably preferable (console) versions of CoD and sports games, and Forza at launch, so it already hits the largest market group of gamers.

Of course, whether this success will have an impact on "hardcore" game development is yet to be seen. It could honestly go either way, the way of the Wii 1 or they could use the success and momentum much better than Nintendo did and use it to cultivate and market the more core game developers. One example of this is is Oblviion/Skyrim (ignoring arguments of them being casualized compared to previous entries in the series). They used the mainstream momentum of the 360 to propel them into a mainstream franchise, something previously unheard of for Western RPGs.
#2CronoDynePosted 5/21/2013 11:15:43 AM
It adds nothing that other consoles don't already have beyond cable based TV. Very few people are going to buy a brand new console to watch TV when they already have a cable box.

No backwards compatibility, anti consumer with restricting preowned, so far only catering to one subgroup of casual non gamers, requiring a peripheral that doesn't even work properly in most rooms of most people's homes.. this is not going to reign. The gaming world doesn't just comprise of ESPN fans and sport gamers.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#3IloveElitePosted 5/21/2013 11:17:08 AM
Those of us who want a games console and not a media center say.. NO thank you, Microsoft.
---
Currently playing: MH3U and Lego City Undercover
Waiting for: Elite:Dangerous, Pikmin 3, GTA V
#4MinamoPosted 5/21/2013 11:18:25 AM(edited)
The used games fee and Kinect requirement will kill it in the middle-class and lower sector. You know, the people who buy consoles.
#5Revival125Posted 5/21/2013 11:18:59 AM
It caters to Americans who like COD and the NFL.

WOOWWWWWWWW
---
Spread Your Wings And Fly Away With Me
#6BOBBYJOBE1433Posted 5/21/2013 11:20:23 AM
Casual gaming was a fad. Many Wii's gathered dust after a few weeks or months and in my opinion the same could happen to the X1 if they continue to focus so much on the casual market.
---
i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz - Z77 Sabertooth - Sapphire 7970 GHZ - 16gb Vengeance - X-fi Titanium HD - Noctua NH-D14 - Antec 902 - AX750 Corsair PSU - Sennheiser HD598
#7CaptainLukaPosted 5/21/2013 11:43:05 AM
Used games fee, required Kinect connection, too much focus on social aspects and tons of apps I don't need make the X1 a likely no-buy for me. I may buy it after a hefty price drop down the road. So far, it's PS4 and Wii U for me. I've also got my 3DS and have been wanting a Vita.

So I'll have plenty to play. The only thing that would get me to buy the X1 sooner than I want to at the moment, would be an astounding line up of exclusives.
---
GT/PSN - Tyrannikos
#8beautifuldreamsPosted 5/21/2013 11:48:40 AM
what's the price for the console?
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#9AaronPHughesPosted 5/21/2013 11:53:59 AM
If you saw the presentation you would have seen, "The Price. Is. Right." YAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
---
Systems Owned - 2600, 5200, NES, NES2, Gameboy, SNES, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Color, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, GBA, DS, DSLite, GBM, Wii, 360, 3DS, Wii U