This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tomb Raider or Borderlands 2?

#1Purp_N_YellowPosted 5/23/2013 2:20:29 PM
Both are on sale this week, $40 for Tomb Raider at Target and Borderlands 2 for $30 at Gamestop. (just fyi) As long as TB is an epic adventure game I don't care if Borderlands 2 has more replay value which it does cause it's an rpg type game.
#2Mason_CainPosted 5/23/2013 2:23:13 PM
I'm one of the biggest TR fans ever, but the new one was an average cover shooter with lame child's puzzles and pointless collectibles for artificial length.

BL2 is simply better.
---
GT: Ancient Daemon
PSN: Ancient_Daemon
#3velvet_hammerPosted 5/23/2013 7:49:07 PM
TR is highly overrated.. I'm going with peoples infatuation with Lara, and especially her new look is the cause.. guardian of light is a better TR game.. Get BL2 even though the dlc has been crap
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#4natevinesPosted 5/23/2013 7:56:38 PM
velvet_hammer posted...
TR is highly overrated.. I'm going with peoples infatuation with Lara, and especially her new look is the cause.

Not really, in fact I read very little about it. Forget the fact that the gameplay is immensely satisfying and the graphics are amongst the best on the console....

I've never been a TR fan but this is my GOTY so far. BL2 is great also, but it's really no different from the first. TR feels a lot fresher. Granted, BL2 will give you a lot more playtime but a good portion of that is just grinding. TR is a much tighter experience.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#5DarkSymbiotePosted 5/23/2013 8:04:46 PM
Tomb Raider. BL2's "humour" is for children.
---
"Saying that the Xbox is the next water cooler is MUCH nicer than being more accurate and saying something like 'The Eye of Sauron'." - facetioussage
#6plus1zeroPosted 5/23/2013 8:42:42 PM
I kinda thought borderlands 2 was overrated.

TC the Microsoft store was/may still be giving away a $10 promo for signing up for XBOX one news and TR is 29.99 this weekend. I was about to order it for 19.99 after that coupon but I keep hoping MG Rising comes back in stock.
#7kel25Posted 5/23/2013 9:02:28 PM
I own both games.

Tomb Raider - I've been trying to force myself to finish this game since I bought it two months ago but I've still barely scratched the surface. The game looks amazing but there is no substance. It's just another set piece heavy TPS.

Borderlands 2 - The humor is the lowest of the low. Some people like it but I'm hard pressed to name a single time that I even cracked a smile. I also had to mute my TV every time Tiny Tina was on screen and would skip any scenes involving her. I find it is best to play this game on mute while listening to music or playing a movie on a laptop.

Despite having some of the worst writing I've ever seen in a game, Borderlands 2 is a ton of fun to play. Leveling up the characters, picking what skills I want, and the insane amount of loot gives this game an insane amount of replay value. I've lost count of how many times I've beaten it but I know it is well over 10 times.

Between these two games I would go with Borderlands 2.
#8Hudsucker20XXPosted 5/23/2013 10:24:31 PM
It's sooooo subjective. I love Borderlands 2 and hate the new Tomb Raider but they're both well-crafted examples of their genre gameplay-wise.

I think BL2 has the best writing in any video game ever, and I think the whole thing's hilarious. And I love the grind for new cool guns. Obviously not everyone agrees.

I think the reboot of Lara Croft's character is every bit as awful as Metroid Other M, and I am baffled by the shift from quiet grand-scale platforming to desperate survival gunplay. Obviously not everyone agrees.

Both rely on their presentation to transcend the gameplay, so I'd watch a couple trailers and see which world appeals more to you.
---
"Grumble grumble..." (level 7)
#9oasisbeyondPosted 5/23/2013 11:08:39 PM
TR has the best production from gameplay. sound, graphics... So worth $60. Yes, I want the next one to be a little more Tomb Raiderish :) But this was about survival.
Took me 20+ hours, really looked for everything.