This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What seems like minor lag present in all games (AT&T Uverse)

#1PoopyMcPoopsterPosted 5/23/2013 11:21:34 PM
About 6 months ago I was using Charter and never noticed any lag in my online games. I've moved recently and got AT&T Uverse (18 Mb down, 3 Mb up). When doing speed tests, I get about this pretty consistently with a <30 ms ping to a server pretty close to me.

After not playing much online, I've tried both Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 in the past couple of months. While there isn't overt lag (stuttering, freezing, etc.), it seems like there is minor lag that seems to be throwing off my aiming, especially on Halo 4. It happens in every game...I'll put 6-7 headshots on someone (completely certain) and they won't die. Having a shootout with a friend, he actually said he was only half health after 5 seemingly perfect headshots.

Another thing - when playing Spartan Ops or cooperative single player online, no matter whether I'm hosting the game or I'm in my friend's game, there seems to be input lag (as in, I push A to jump and it jumps a split second later instead of right when I push it). My friends says this doesn't happen to him.

Can anyone explain what is happening here and how to fix it?
---
GT: Adamantus
#2Lucha_VillaPosted 5/23/2013 11:24:59 PM
You just suck.
#3viridislamentPosted 5/23/2013 11:28:44 PM
I used to do tech support for AT&T a few years ago and unless something has drastically changed your problem is that AT&T is your ISP
#4Super CreaturesPosted 5/24/2013 3:29:31 AM
viridislament posted...
unless something has drastically changed your problem is that AT&T is your ISP

Trust me, nothing has changed.

If you have any service from AT&T, switch, now, before they make you want to bring back their old slogan of "Reach out and touch somebody."
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#5googlerPosted 5/24/2013 5:48:33 AM
I've been having the same problem with Comcast in Boston. It really ruins my fighting games and some shooters. Its most noticeable during peak hours
#6TwinmoldPosted 5/24/2013 7:19:11 AM
It's because online gaming is truly still a thing of the future. In competitive games, a tenth of a second is the difference between your shot hitting, and completely whiffing. After going through the tubes, the protocols, the modems, the routers, you're going to see some lag. They try to hide this latency by using lag compensation, but more often than not, that just screws you up even more.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf