This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do the older 120GB 360 Model Hard Drives work in the Slims?

#11Super CreaturesPosted 5/26/2013 12:09:47 AM
jakethenoob posted...
Lol how do they do that huh?

Serial number.

jakethenoob posted...
Magic?

Yes, also known as technology.

jakethenoob posted...
They can't tell if you have or not.

Just like the government can't tell where you posted that message from, including the physical address of your network adapter, right?
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#12IWUPosted 5/26/2013 3:31:35 AM
I think the real question here is, can they tell that you are using an HD from an older (fat) 360 model in your new (slim) model if you send it in for repairs even if you removed the HD from the console.
---
Irregardless, for all intensive purposes I could care less if you take me for granite. If given free reign I'll continue to tow the line like a bold face liar.
#13sailormacrossPosted 5/26/2013 5:56:56 AM
i used an old 20 gb in slim
---
anime and jpop and pretty japanese girls fan ::::::::::::::::::::perhaps there was an age where people dreamed of the possibilites of outer space (gundam wing)
#14TheBlueStigPosted 5/26/2013 7:14:37 AM
IWU posted...
I think the real question here is, can they tell that you are using an HD from an older (fat) 360 model in your new (slim) model if you send it in for repairs even if you removed the HD from the console.

Yes, serial numbers combined with total space check. If you're using a smaller older drive less than 250GB they can instantly tell just by the drive space alone.

Or they can run a serial number check, if it doesn't match the serial number range from the official HDD's, you're done.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#15TrugamerPosted 5/26/2013 10:30:32 AM
Anyone can use an old official HDD in a new slim case they don't make 20gb for the 360 either but my official 20gb works fine no ban and everyone and their brother myself included has bought a unofficial 120gb slim and not been banned for it either.

And if people were actually getting banned for it then it would be all over these forums but never see not a single post of anyone claiming that.
#16bigpoppapatPosted 5/26/2013 10:36:47 AM
tc u don't really need the enclosure. yes, it makes it more stable and easier to put in, but not necessary, unless you move your console around a lot. remove the 120 from the casing, shine a flashlight into the slim hdd port and you will see how it plugs in. the enclosure just holds it snug in there. it's not like the fat 360 where the enclosure is necessary.
---
Sent via PowerFAQs
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/patoons/f5gif.gif http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/patoons/clap2.gif
#17TheBlueStigPosted 5/26/2013 10:40:49 AM
Trugamer posted...
Anyone can use an old official HDD in a new slim case they don't make 20gb for the 360 either but my official 20gb works fine no ban and everyone and their brother myself included has bought a unofficial 120gb slim and not been banned for it either.

And if people were actually getting banned for it then it would be all over these forums but never see not a single post of anyone claiming that.

It falls under the Hardware Tampering section of the ToS, and if you ever send your 360 into M$ for repairs, they WILL void your warranty, it happened to someone else on this board a couple months ago.

You're better off just saving your money and getting an official HDD.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#18bigpoppapatPosted 5/26/2013 10:55:42 AM
^ when you send ur console in, don't they ask you to remove the hdd?
---
Sent via PowerFAQs
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/patoons/f5gif.gif http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/patoons/clap2.gif
#19TheBlueStigPosted 5/26/2013 11:01:07 AM
bigpoppapat posted...

They can tell what kind of HDD was in the console even when it's not there.
---
Ben Franklin
#20TrugamerPosted 5/26/2013 11:18:26 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
bigpoppapat posted...

They can tell what kind of HDD was in the console even when it's not there.

You are just making stuff up now.