This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Auto-save in games today

#1Dr JackalPosted 6/6/2013 10:32:58 PM
It seems like every game I play anymore outside of RPGs has auto-save. I'm talking about pure auto-save, and not games that do it while also allowing you to save manually.

I think auto-save is one of the worst features in video games. It makes it so frustrating when you miss something in a game without mission/chapter selection, and you can't go back.

It also makes games more prone to save issues that can only be solved by starting the entire game over.

What's the deal? Is it so hard to include manual saving? I doubt that is something that would be really an annoyance on the developers where it takes a lot of work to put into a game.
---
Undefeated lifetime.
Currently playing: White Knight Chronicles, Metal Gear Rising, Far Cry 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Ni no Kuni, Pandoras Tower
#2Blast_ProcessorPosted 6/6/2013 10:47:16 PM
Saving done right: Fallouts, Elder Scrolls
#3TheRobPosted 6/6/2013 10:50:41 PM
Blast_Processor posted...
Saving done right: Fallouts, Elder Scrolls

Yeah, and they pretty much perfected it in Skyrim by having three separate auto-saves to fall back on in the case of something going terribly wrong.
---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#4LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 6/7/2013 4:09:12 AM
I definitely agree. I can't stand autosave-only games, because they're too prone to corruption. What if the power goes out during one of the ten thousand times its saving? Not to mention game-breaking glitches and such.

I usually end up making pseudo-manual saves with autosave games anyways, occasionally quitting out and copying the saves to another memory device before continuing on. But it's extra work that the player shouldn't have to do.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#5NellytheHoofPosted 6/7/2013 4:34:14 AM
Yeah I don't like it. There's so many variations of it as well so you never really know how it's going to work. Some games save you exactly where you are, others autosave but send you back to a safe point/checkpoint area if you die, others save your inventory/collectables but not other progress etc.

Then you get games like Silent Hill Downpour that tell you it is autosaving but really isn't. Or Dead Space 3/Bioshock Infinite where you sometimes have to wait ages for the next autosave, and if you happen to be looking away from the screen at the time it can end up in another half an hour playing unsure of where the last save was.

I get that some games don't want you to be able to save anywhere, but I'd definitely prefer save points, rather than just a spinning symbol that may or may not indicate that it has saved.
---
YNWA
#6DarkSymbiotePosted 6/7/2013 4:43:09 AM(edited)
I despise autosaves. The game shouldn't save without my permission. Metro 2033 saved once just when I was near death so I always died when I loaded it up. Then Metro: Last Light saved DURING a crash. Unbelievable. Seriously, game design has gone down the gutter.
---
My Metro: Last Light Review
gamefaqs.com/xbox360/632306-metro-last-light/reviews/review-154303
#7Dante729Posted 6/7/2013 5:33:55 AM
One of the worst things about Bioshock Infinite. Manual saving is definitely something that shouldn't become a thing of the past.
---
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
#8Dr Jackal(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 11:52:21 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's a joke how so many games are using this now.
---
Undefeated lifetime.
Currently playing: White Knight Chronicles, Metal Gear Rising, Far Cry 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Ni no Kuni, Pandoras Tower
#9master_gamr1231Posted 6/7/2013 12:03:08 PM
I always prefer blends of the two. I do think Skyrim does it the best, with manual saves anywhere and 3 autosaves. I also hate when games just have specific places you can save, like GTA. It's always annoying when you have to return to one of a few specific places to actually save and quit the game.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#10MR_SorenPosted 6/7/2013 12:08:58 PM
I always liked auto-save in strategy games. Prevents save/load abuse, but I don't see why it would to be in a game like Bioshock infinite.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com