This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The ONE most absurb fact in Halo that is never explained and I never get

#1MackorovPosted 6/11/2013 12:15:04 AM
I don't know if I'm the only one who's ever been bothered or took notice of this but for the Halo universe to be set in the year 2552 or near there, I couldn't help realizing how the weapons the humans use look way too outdated. The year is in the 2500s, which is over 5 very long centuries from today, or half a freaking millenium but what the humans use look vastly similiar to today's technology, if not worse.

Gunpowder ballistic gas-operated guns, marines that dresses and equips no better than an average modern day US soldier. mobile diesel powered vehicles with little to no shielding from enemy fire that make them all sitting ducks, shotguns and rifles that are ridiculously inaccurate and scorpion tanks that have very unprotected drvier seats that scream "I'm here! Shoot me!" to enemies -- just to name a few.

I created a topic about this a few years back on the Halo board but surprisingly no one replied. So if this goes with no response as well, I'm assuming this is too controversial or fans are just too daunted to accept the one hard truth that makes the entire Halo universe a freaking joke. And before you say it is just a game or anything, I have to say it can be forgivable for a simple small game but this is a huge franchise I'm talking about here that has spawned animes, comics, books and an upcoming Spielberg TV show but lacks one major logical link to realism.
#2JascoDPosted 6/11/2013 12:24:44 AM
What the hell is wrong with the weapons? How do you know that they use Diesel?

Should they all shoot lasers and float just above the air a la Star Wars, a future where the wheel is not invented yet.

A lot of sci fi movies have the same aspect. Look at Aliens, Starship Troopers and Avatar.

Besides, like its nothing wrong with the equipment. They still do their job right. Killing Aliens is just as easy as shooting humans with the same tools.
---
Itchy Tasty!
#3redkingPosted 6/11/2013 12:42:34 AM
Why would you need a wheel when your vehicle can float?
#4OverburdenedPosted 6/11/2013 1:27:58 AM
the covenant have all these things, flying vehicles, plasma/laser weapons.

maybe Bungie/343 kept these "diesel" powered vehicles and non sci fi weapons etc to remind us that the characters are still human and want to use their own means of transport and firearms, they still get the job done.

they need to keep some "realism" to the humans weapons and stuff so that you can relate to them, they still look more futuristic than todays vehicles and weapons, and then if you decide you want to use a plasma weapon of sorts or use a hovering vehicle, then you can smash an elites head in and nick all of his gear :).
---
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
I..am..Kolos, the great Leviathan._
#5Mackorov(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 1:28:00 AM
JascoD posted...

Should they all shoot lasers and float just above the air a la Star Wars, a future where the wheel is not invented yet.

A lot of sci fi movies have the same aspect. Look at Aliens, Starship Troopers and Avatar.

Besides, like its nothing wrong with the equipment. They still do their job right. Killing Aliens is just as easy as shooting humans with the same tools.

Except like I specifically mentioned, Halo is set in the 2500s. What other sane sci-fi creator would want something set in a time period so darn far away but the technology is no better than modern techonlogy? 5 centuries ago from today, technology leaped to great heights. But in the game, it looked like the humans didn't do **** in their weaponry for 500 straight years and nothing makes sense by having a huge outerspace spaceship but a Warthog that looks worse than a WWII jeep. Maybe it'd be more reasonable if they said something a disaster like global warming nearly ended the world and stalled technological advancement for hundreds of years but no.
#6TheStarlightPosted 6/11/2013 1:37:22 AM
People will laught when they look at it in the next 30 years.
It's like watching a sci-fi movie produced in 1980 about an event in 2013 but the big fat SD TV is still presented in a buidling that supposed to be high-tech and the wired telephone are still used, no touch screen devise is to be seen.
---
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time
#7JascoDPosted 6/11/2013 3:42:41 AM(edited)
Mackorov posted...
JascoD posted...

Except like I specifically mentioned, Halo is set in the 2500s. What other sane sci-fi creator would want something set in a time period so darn far away but the technology is no better than modern techonlogy? 5 centuries ago from today, technology leaped to great heights. But in the game, it looked like the humans didn't do **** in their weaponry for 500 straight years and nothing makes sense by having a huge outerspace spaceship but a Warthog that looks worse than a WWII jeep. Maybe it'd be more reasonable if they said something a disaster like global warming nearly ended the world and stalled technological advancement for hundreds of years but no.

Avatar takes place around year 2500 ish. And some things are very high tech and some other things arent. Have you seen After Earth? Also a "primitive future" but still cool and advanced. Besides. No one knows how the economy looks like in the Halo verse. Humans build epic scale spaceships and invest a lot in the Spartans and other equipments. Maybe they dont need to invest so much in awesome advanced guns. Like the AK47. It will exist forever and ever. Because it still does what its suppose to do with no need for new expansive versions.

In the 80s, everybody thought that cars would fly year 2000. Technology moves maybe slower than we think. Everything costs.

Star Trek is the best version. In the future money doesnt exist at all. All humans work for honor and for each others. No war exist between humans. That is what is needed for them to build wast spaceships and explore the universe. With money, everything slows down. Its the main reason for every corruption. And its what makes humans backstab eachothers.
---
Itchy Tasty!
#8TwinmoldPosted 6/11/2013 4:10:39 AM
ITT: How realistic a sci-fi game is determines how good or interesting it is.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#9Halo_ForeverPosted 6/11/2013 4:10:52 AM
Mackorov posted...
I don't know if I'm the only one who's ever been bothered or took notice of this but for the Halo universe to be set in the year 2552 or near there, I couldn't help realizing how the weapons the humans use look way too outdated. The year is in the 2500s, which is over 5 very long centuries from today, or half a freaking millenium but what the humans use look vastly similiar to today's technology, if not worse.

Gunpowder ballistic gas-operated guns, marines that dresses and equips no better than an average modern day US soldier. mobile diesel powered vehicles with little to no shielding from enemy fire that make them all sitting ducks, shotguns and rifles that are ridiculously inaccurate and scorpion tanks that have very unprotected drvier seats that scream "I'm here! Shoot me!" to enemies -- just to name a few.

I created a topic about this a few years back on the Halo board but surprisingly no one replied. So if this goes with no response as well, I'm assuming this is too controversial or fans are just too daunted to accept the one hard truth that makes the entire Halo universe a freaking joke. And before you say it is just a game or anything, I have to say it can be forgivable for a simple small game but this is a huge franchise I'm talking about here that has spawned animes, comics, books and an upcoming Spielberg TV show but lacks one major logical link to realism.

I don't know how much attention you have paid to the history of Halo, but in it the 21st to 23rd century was pretty much factional warfare with dwindling resources, followed by the UNSC unification.

Additionally the traditional bullet weapons are preferential on space ships, lesser chance on accidentally breaching the hull or something similar. Notably the Covenant war and the rebel insurrections that preceeded it do create the need for more advanced weaponry and such is produced (the Gauss cannons, Spartan Laser, Rail Gun).

Energy shielding is something that humanity only learned from the Covenant.

Additionally in the books the UNSC firearms have the sort of firepower that you'd expect from their description (The Halo CE pistol shoots freaking 12.7mm armor piercing explosive rounds, the MAB5 shoots 7.62 rounds at 900 RPM while remaining controllable and so forth).

Otherwise it is mainly due to Halo stealing its visual from Aliens.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#10DarkSymbiotePosted 6/11/2013 4:23:40 AM
redking posted...
Why would you need a wheel when your vehicle can float?

Traction.
---
My Metro: Last Light Review
gamefaqs.com/xbox360/632306-metro-last-light/reviews/review-154303