This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I have a dilemma...(xbox live/xbone related...)

#1kungfuj0Posted 6/12/2013 8:10:28 PM
I HATE what MS is doing with the xbone, and I'm not going to buy it unless and until they change their policies to something that I can live with.

However, I still have my 360 and I still enjoy playing it. I also still have my xbox live subscription for said 360. It won't expire until October, so I am good for now, but what then? Do I continue to pay a company for a service when I am vehemently opposed to some of that company's policies, or do I cut ties all together?

I also have my nephew's subscription to think about, and that one ends next month. I really don't know what I want to do. On one hand, it bugs me to be giving money to a company that is doing what MS is doing, but on the other hand, I enjoy playing games online with my friends, and in the coming months, games like GTA and Saint's Row will be out, and both of those games that I've spent some time online with.

How do you plan to handle it? Assuming you feel as I do about the xbone, will you re-up your Live subscription when it runs out, or will you let it expire and why?
---
And to think...people laughed at me when I said MS could out-EA EA any day of the week.
Who's laughing now, *****es???
#2MertensCWPosted 6/12/2013 8:16:38 PM
Play. Sure the offspring is an abomination but the 360 is still a good console.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#3IIICE_COLDPosted 6/12/2013 8:27:16 PM
Another word for money is "currency", and it's sortof like saying you promise to give back some level of energy for some that (someone or something else) gave to you... Like if you provide currency to a baker, you are RETURNING the energy (in the form of money, via SYMBOL) for a loaf of bread... So it's certainly fine to think of Xbox Live in the same sense...

Do you enjoy the Xbox Live service of which many people are providing their energy to uphold and maintain? If so, then there's no reason why you should feel GUILTY or confused about getting a new Xbox Live subscription (for the 360), for you and/or your nephew, REGARDLESS of how you feel about the next console...

People like me do lots of research... And then we ask lots of questions, so I know all about the various levels of SNOOPING and spying going on all through America --- and I've known about it for a while now... So as far as the Xbox One is concerned, I'm not interested in exchanging energy and/or currency for a console (that has a mandatory attached camera on it, if that's what the Xbox One has) because of the POSSIBILITY of the camera being accessed by digital predators... It has nothing to do with being paranoid --- it's simply based on my own EXPERIENCE with these type of online predators, that are a very real and NOT imagined threat... So I'm not at all going to exchange energy and/or physical money for someone to possibly RETURN the energy back to me via digital stalking, harassment, etcetera... That's just not something I'm going to do, and it has nothing to do with a gripe with Microsoft --- I'd hold the same exact opinion with a laptop, or a calculator, or a toaster (with a camera in it) because I do not believe the manufacturer of the product is the one doing the snooping --- I think it's digital hackers/predators/criminals taking advantage of the security loopholes somehow...

So it's really just a matter of whether or not you think you're getting a fair energetic exchange in the process... If you enjoy Xbox Live, and have fun interacting with friends, etcetera --- then regardless of what happens with the next system you still WIN --- and that's the point... I, on the other hand, am receiving too much harassment, predatorial stalking (from apparently jealous psychopaths) so I'm going to PASS on inviting things into my home that could INCREASE the problem --- if that makes sense... Again, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Microsoft or any particular company in any way whatsoever... I'm a huge fan of the Gears of War series, and the 360 itself is my most played console of all time across (approximately) 19 different consoles --- which says alot for me... But (apparently) the system seems to have some security issues that some people (like me) tend to overlook in a naive fashion...
---
XBL GT: IIICE KOLD (Formerly known as IIICE COLD)
#4IIICE_COLDPosted 6/12/2013 8:28:09 PM
MertensCW posted...
Play. Sure the offspring is an abomination but the 360 is still a good console.

Agreed, I think it looks like total crap, but that certainly doesn't NEGATE the 360 (or the original Xbox's) success in any way shape or fashion...
---
#5kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 9:09:03 PM
I was just sitting here thinking about it, and it just bothered me all of a sudden. I feel like I'm giving money to a drug dealer, even though I KNOW he's a drug dealer. It just doesn't sit well with me at the moment.

I have some time to think about it before I have to do anything, so I will take that time and see how I feel when that time is up. I'll probably end up doing it grudgingly. I guess if I can still buy the occasional EA game after all the crap they pull, I can find a way to do this.
---
And to think...people laughed at me when I said MS could out-EA EA any day of the week.
#6WinternovaPosted 6/12/2013 9:10:23 PM
IIICE_COLD posted...
because of the POSSIBILITY of the camera being accessed by digital predators... It has nothing to do with being paranoid

It has EVERYTHING to do with being paranoid...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#7656stoogePosted 6/12/2013 9:21:10 PM
I felt the same way at first, and even worse because that new controller is so damn sexy that I need one, if only to look at (I'll use it on my PC), but don't cut off your nose to spite yourself.

If you have a PS3 though, then you could always do what I'm doing now and just buy everything for that.

If it still bothers you then maybe boycott LIVE for a few months at launch. I don't know? But I get where you're coming from.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#8kungfuj0(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2013 2:29:37 AM
Winternova posted...
IIICE_COLD posted...
because of the POSSIBILITY of the camera being accessed by digital predators... It has nothing to do with being paranoid

It has EVERYTHING to do with being paranoid...

Somebody I used to know once said; "It's not paranoia if there really is somebody out to get you."

Just something to think about...
---
#9TheRobPosted 6/13/2013 6:45:44 AM
Just don't pay for it anymore. Here you go:

One Month for FREE! (Silvers Only)
**Might be US Only**

Requirements
Silver membership
Valid payment method attached to your account

Go here: http://click.engage.xbox.com/?qs=94f...e5d0ff3b4d2543

It'll ask you to sign into an Xbox LIVE account. Go ahead and do so. You'll be
brought to a screen offering one month of Gold for free.

Choose it. Confirm payment. You're now Gold. Don't forget to disable automatic renewal.

Save the link and you can wait for your free month of Gold to run out and renew it again. This effectively makes XBox Live Gold completely free.
---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#10IIICE_COLDPosted 6/13/2013 7:40:47 AM
"It has EVERYTHING to do with being paranoid..."

To the contrary, what you're suggesting is actually not only false --- but also behind many of the more technologically oriented... Don't get me wrong, I'll be the FIRST to admit that I'm not exactly some sort of computer scientist --- but I'm a bit of a self educator; indeed, someone who watches alot of public educational videos and does alot of reading...

These days, EVEN IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR on mainstream television networks, you have (the world's elite of scientists) telling the public about everything from atomic rearrangement machines, to time travel, to mind control, to interfacing microchips and technology with the human brain itself... So it's not exactly some huge SECRET that digital predators have more tools than ever before in human history --- it's simply matter of the people understanding this phenomenon...

Even upon watching mainstream television programs like "The Universe" on the History channel, where they publicly discuss things like time travel, wormholes and things like that --- an intelligent person can (pretty easily) come to the conclusion that the world is NOT quite what we thought it was just a decade ago, and not only that, but that human kind is advancing VERY quickly both intellectually and technologically... People who CANNOT accept and acknowledge these new technological changes, as well as their inherent dangers, (in my personal opinion) are simply DOOMING themselves --- as well as their children --- to a perception of ignorance of which can be taken advantage of by a newer breed of technological/egghead/geek like digital stalkers that can be very dangerous... So in other words, the people who live in a fantasy land and try to pretend that many of todays advancing technologies DO NOT have seriously inherent dangers are going to wake up one day and realize that they (and/or their children) are, not only at a major disadvantage to those who DO understand the dangers, but also that they are BEHIND these same people in their understanding...

Paranoia, by exact definition, says that it is a "mental disorder marked by irrational suspicion"... So again, if you take your theory (that awareness of technologies inherent challenges) is paranoid --- that's almost a BACKPEDALING of human evolution --- whereas an acknowledgement, of which would ultimately lead to taking precautionary measures, is more of a foreward step... And awareness of this DOUBLE EDGED SWORD of technology (so to speak) is simply that; AWARENESS --- it has not a thing to do with irrational suspicion...

The only thing that I'm saying (regarding the Kinect, specifically) is that it MIGHT be possible to aid digital stalkers in the sense that they can figure out how to hack the camera and watch you... It is YOUR decision whether or not you enjoy the idea of being observed by an UNKNOWN third party for whatever possible reason --- I, for one, do not like the idea... And again, it has nothing to do with a personal gripe with this company or that one... All that I am saying is that if a camera is connected to the internet, whether it be on a video game console, laptop, toaster, cell phone or dishwasher --- it MIGHT be possible for criminals to hack into it...

^---Suggesting this idea and/or theory is not irrational; you are simply mistaken (and perhaps) a little bit behind with the times...
---