This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We Have 1 Year Before Our Microsoft Points Expire

#71GawdDawgsPosted 6/13/2013 6:28:21 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
GawdDawgs posted...
Gillian Seed posted...

But the amount we're going to pay in tax is bound to be more than whatever MSP we had in our balance that we couldn't easily spend. In the past three mionths I saved at least $10 because purchases made with MSP aren't taxed. That outweighs any straggler points sitting in my balance.

Has it been confirmed that they are going to tax everyone? Or is it going to be state based like Amazon?

PSN charges tax for online purchases.

Then some retailers are also charging tax for the PSN cards.

Double taxing is a BAD THING.

Steam also charges tax, and very soon it will no longer be state by state, there's legislation being pushed through that would make it mandatory at a Federal level to tax all online purchases in every state.

So basically you're saying despite the currency change, MS will be charging tax regardless, making the whole taxation argument irrelevant.

Unless, of course, its all double taxed, which I agree is terrible.
---
It does not matter where we go. It is not the destination that matters...it is the journey.
#72TheBlueStigPosted 6/13/2013 6:43:00 PM
GawdDawgs posted...
So basically you're saying despite the currency change, MS will be charging tax regardless, making the whole taxation argument irrelevant.

Unless, of course, its all double taxed, which I agree is terrible.

Get a clue, they're ALREADY charging tax for CC purchases but NOT for points purchases, once the switch to currency is done they will be charging tax for BOTH options.

Do you get it yet?
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#73Gillian SeedPosted 6/13/2013 7:09:59 PM
GawdDawgs posted...
Gillian Seed posted...

But the amount we're going to pay in tax is bound to be more than whatever MSP we had in our balance that we couldn't easily spend. In the past three months I saved at least $10 because purchases made with MSP aren't taxed. That outweighs any straggler points sitting in my balance.

Has it been confirmed that they are going to tax everyone? Or is it going to be state based like Amazon?

In the MSP retirement FAQ they say everyone will be charged tax according to the tax rate of your ship-to address. This is when you make a purchase in the Marketplace. It doesn't matter if you use credit from a prepaid card or you use a credit card or paypal.

>> "So basically you're saying despite the currency change, MS will be charging tax regardless, making the whole taxation argument irrelevant. "

I take it you meant the mentioned possible law changes would mean taxes would eventually happen anyway. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case. The reason tax isn't applied to purchases made with MSP is because MSP isn't real money.

Which kind of makes me wonder if the switch is being made so it wouldn't seem like Microsoft is skirting tax laws. That's actually kind of what is happening. Considering all games for Xbox One will be available through the marketplace you could get all your games tax free; buy tax free MSP, then make tax free purchases with MSP. Microsoft might be dumping MSP before the government figures out what's going on.

I guess I should just be happy it lasted as long as it did.
#74Sailor AmayaPosted 6/16/2013 12:26:42 AM
Well crap, looks like I better get to spending. I was kind of expecting this to happen so I'm not too shocked.