This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Difference between HDMI audio and Toslink audio?

#1TheMuffinPosted 6/18/2013 6:08:16 PM
It's something that's never been an issue for me but I always wondered if Toslink is able to provide a better signal than HDMI when it comes to audio. Where's Capwnd?!
---
SnowFox7 ~I heard him use the term 'tarantula downpour', which would actually have been significantly worse than the rain we had that day.
#2TheMuffin(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 8:14:52 AM
Bump.
---
JascoD~ He said black ops 2, not Battlefield 3. CoD can be played at the same time you're making a sandwich.
#3KenRobertPosted 6/19/2013 8:25:05 AM
If I understand it correctly. Neither is better except when listening to TrueHD as Toslink doesnt carry those high resolution codecs.
#4Hucast9Posted 6/19/2013 9:11:48 AM
The difference is that the maximum bandwidth allowed by optical cable is about 1.5 megabytes per second. The best that optical allows is regular DTS audio. Compressed Dolby Digital like what is found in most dvds are around 700 kilobytes persecond.

HDMI allows for 5+ megabytes per second bandwidth, which allows for the best audio formats such as lossless Dolby True HD and and DTS HD Master Audio. The difference between DTS/DD and Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio is massive.
#5Hucast9Posted 6/19/2013 9:18:48 AM(edited)
Also, Blu Ray is required if Dolby Digital True HD and DTS HD Master audio is included in a game or movie. HDMI alone wont do it.