This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come this gen, Western-made games were more high quality than Japanese ones?

#1AmazingDanyPosted 6/20/2013 12:02:41 PM
Is it a trend that will continue in the next gen?
#2gabriusPosted 6/20/2013 12:10:36 PM
Thanks for the examples and compelling argument.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#3velvet_hammerPosted 6/20/2013 12:11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMyoCr2MnpM
---
"Ignorance is venomous, and it murders the soul
Spreading like a virus running rampant, but out of control" Immortal Technique
#4StarGoyPosted 6/20/2013 12:13:40 PM(edited)
The downfall of the PS3, coupled with the migration of Western PC developers to consoles, and the complacency Japanese developers developed when they were untouchable in the PS2 era.

This all coincided with the rise of the 360. For the first time, Western developers didn't have to go through Japanese channels to get their games out on consoles. So much happened.
#5alexismynamexxPosted 6/20/2013 12:15:56 PM
It depends on tastes firstly, but i would say that japanese games always seemed to be based around the tech available, whilst western games were based around a vision and then cramped into available tech. where-as this gen, western designers can get the full scope and atmosphere of their games across (fallout), and in comparison japanese games, such as turn based rpg's, feel outdated. IMO.
#6RatlankPosted 6/20/2013 12:20:57 PM
gabrius posted...

He's not making an argument, he's asking a question, and thus does not need to provide examples.

The 360 sucks for Japanese games anyway. There are plenty of Japanese games on the DS, for example, that are still better than western games.
---
It irritates me when people say RPG games.
#7SunDevil77Posted 6/20/2013 12:22:48 PM
Ratlank posted...
gabrius posted...

He's not making an argument, he's asking a question, and thus does not need to provide examples.

The 360 sucks for Japanese games anyway. There are plenty of Japanese games on the DS, for example, that are still better than western games.

RPG games?
---
Look. I'm not a very good shot, but this American, here....uses really big bullets.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#8gabriusPosted 6/20/2013 12:24:09 PM
Ratlank posted...
gabrius posted...

I have about 30 imports for the 360... so yeah, you're wrong.

Also, it's pretty transparent what you're doing here. I'll give you a pass for today.... but if you continue following me from topic to topic just to try and troll out an argument from me, I'll get this account of yours banned for harassment just like the last 2.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#9CaseyJonezPosted 6/20/2013 12:27:05 PM
I think Dark Souls stands out as a shining example against your argument. It boasts a seamless, artistic, very large world (...okay, it has one or two seams). The background music is one of my favorites this gen. The game doesn't try to shove emotions down your throat through terrible and long cut scenes; it's subtle in how it presents both background story and progression of story. There's good replay value for anyone wanting to explore the different character builds.

IMO it's the top quality game this gen.
---
I can hear it. Deeper, and deeper. Louder and louder, punctuating the silence like thunder on a calm evening. Laughter.
#10alexismynamexxPosted 6/20/2013 1:01:10 PM
CaseyJonez posted...
I think Dark Souls stands out as a shining example against your argument. It boasts a seamless, artistic, very large world (...okay, it has one or two seams). The background music is one of my favorites this gen. The game doesn't try to shove emotions down your throat through terrible and long cut scenes; it's subtle in how it presents both background story and progression of story. There's good replay value for anyone wanting to explore the different character builds.

IMO it's the top quality game this gen.

Did you somehow bypass blighttown?

It's an amazing game, but you are really stretching the definition of quality.

Plus its western styled.