This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come this gen, Western-made games were more high quality than Japanese ones?

#21Deathx113Posted 6/23/2013 3:51:14 AM
Dark Souls

/topic
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#22Deathx113Posted 6/23/2013 3:52:37 AM
Ratlank posted...
gabrius posted...
Thanks for the examples and compelling argument.

He's not making an argument, he's asking a question, and thus does not need to provide examples.

The 360 sucks for Japanese games anyway. There are plenty of Japanese games on the DS, for example, that are still better than western games.

No, he is clearly making an argument.

If I walk up to someone and say, "How come our president sucks." I am clearly saying the president sucks, whereas tc is clearly saying western games > japanese games.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#23SunDevil77Posted 6/23/2013 5:07:55 AM
creep50 posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Ratlank posted...
gabrius posted...
Thanks for the examples and compelling argument.

He's not making an argument, he's asking a question, and thus does not need to provide examples.

The 360 sucks for Japanese games anyway. There are plenty of Japanese games on the DS, for example, that are still better than western games.

RPG games?

ATM machine.....PIN number

----------------------------------------------------

on topic

i have not seen anything that indicates that western games are better overall the Japanese games....it just depends on the game

Whooooosh
---
Look. I'm not a very good shot, but this American, here....uses really big bullets.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#24FFTHEWINNERPosted 6/23/2013 5:29:31 AM
alexismynamexx posted...
It depends on tastes firstly, but i would say that japanese games always seemed to be based around the tech available, whilst western games were based around a vision and then cramped into available tech. where-as this gen, western designers can get the full scope and atmosphere of their games across (fallout), and in comparison japanese games, such as turn based rpg's, feel outdated. IMO.

this. also...

SunDevil77 posted...
Ratlank posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
The only person you humiliated is yourself.

I never humiliated myself. I humiliated gabrius twice, an achievement I am very proud of.

Even if that were true...
You admitted you were not even an adult.

You proved the point of insanity by PMing a user on GameFAQs in a harassing manner

You think that is a life achievement. That in and of itself is humorous to say the least.

what were his previous usernames? i am curious.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#25stargazer1981Posted 6/23/2013 7:32:11 AM
I got more enjoyment out of Skyrim than I did Dark Souls. But that's just personal experience and not indicative of a worldwide trend.
---
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi
#26DWB1982Posted 6/23/2013 7:45:16 AM
Man, if you want to see what happened to JRPG games.. Take a look at Enchanted Arms.. 15 minutes into that game and I'm convinced that it is the WORST game I have ever played... It has the most blatant, flamboyant, annoying, homosexual character ever in the game... The Japanese are obviously trolling everyone.. They released this garbage just to watch all the Japanophiles in America praise it just because it's Japanese...

HORRIBLE!!!
---
PSN=MWB1982
360 Live=InterceptorGT
#27CSplitterPosted 6/23/2013 8:12:18 AM
Are we pretending that Nintendo and handheld games don't exist?
---
TakayaNoriko: Back in my day, we pressed buttons that didn't do anything because we thought it would give us special power-ups. And that's the way we liked it!
#28JDGFootman1234Posted 6/23/2013 8:34:14 AM
I would strongly disagree with the topic and its implications overall but part of the decline in some Japanese games can be attributed to a lack of play testing. Western games usually have a huge emphasis on play testing as a way to provide feedback for developers. If you ever get the time to listen to the audio commentary for the Valve games (which are really insightful btw) you'll hear them go on and one about the importance of playtesting and player feedback. Bungie has in house game testing every two weeks for their games.

(Also playtesting isnt focus-testing. Focus-testing is what usually leads to the homogenization of games that has proliferated this gen. Play testing is to ensure the game is fun and the player can understand the systems at work)

Heres a great article on it:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134582/japanese_game_development_the_.php?print=1
---
I suppose you could never explain to the most ingenious mollusk that such a creature as a whale existed-Emerson
#29VeryDarkSoulPosted 6/23/2013 8:37:42 AM
CSplitter posted...

But that would go against the OP's argument!
---
Ron Paul 2012
#30SunDevil77Posted 6/23/2013 8:42:05 AM
VeryDarkSoul posted...
CSplitter posted...

But that would go against the OP's argument!

Luigi's Mansion 2 alone makes this topic Nutter Butters.
---
Look. I'm not a very good shot, but this American, here....uses really big bullets.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539