This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 or Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus for capturing?

#1WalkingPlaguePosted 6/22/2013 6:11:37 PM
I am going to pick up an HD-PVR 2 soon, like tomorrow, and I want to know which model is the preffered one. I am new to this capturing scene and I am quite curious and figured I'd refer to the public. All help is greatly appreciated.

Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 High Definition:
http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1512-Definition-Personal-Technology/dp/B00BA4ILX8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371948119&sr=1-1&keywords=Hauppauge

Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ7KICQ

I own an LCD TV with both HDMI and Component inputs. I am aware that the PS3 cannot be captured via HDMI like the X360 can. Currently, I am running a Lenovo Y500 i5-3220 laptop if that factors into anything. Thanks in advance.
---
| g | a | m | i | n | g | my anti-drug
PSN-ID: nintendofied
#2blackhrtPosted 6/22/2013 6:26:15 PM
I've been able to capture on both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 with my Avermedia GameCapture HD and both had their HDMI connected.

I did consider the Happauge, but I needed something simple and kind of easy to break down to take to different places. When I researched, if you are recording gaming, go with with the game edition. If you are doing regular capture, just get the regular one.

See you out there in upload world!
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#3WalkingPlague(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2013 6:30:23 PM
blackhrt posted...
I've been able to capture on both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 with my Avermedia GameCapture HD and both had their HDMI connected.

I did consider the Happauge, but I needed something simple and kind of easy to break down to take to different places. When I researched, if you are recording gaming, go with with the game edition. If you are doing regular capture, just get the regular one.

See you out there in upload world!

I want to record both regular stuff and gaming stuff.
---
#4blackhrtPosted 6/22/2013 6:44:32 PM
You can capture regular and gaming stuff with either device. The gaming edition probably has hardware in the box for systems versus the regular edition which doesn't.

Also just make sure your laptop can handle the editing and capturing you will do. Again, the one I have saves in .mp4 format so I don't have to worry about conversions or anything and the format is easy to edit in different programs if I had to.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#5WalkingPlague(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2013 7:07:39 PM
blackhrt posted...
You can capture regular and gaming stuff with either device. The gaming edition probably has hardware in the box for systems versus the regular edition which doesn't.

Also just make sure your laptop can handle the editing and capturing you will do. Again, the one I have saves in .mp4 format so I don't have to worry about conversions or anything and the format is easy to edit in different programs if I had to.

I have a Lenovo Y500; i5 3220; nVIDIA 650m SLI
---
#6blackhrtPosted 6/22/2013 7:18:38 PM
WalkingPlague posted...
blackhrt posted...

I have a Lenovo Y500; i5 3220; nVIDIA 650m SLI

I don't know how much harddrive space you have. normally, video editing consumes resources a lot, so try not to have other programs running.

Other than that, theres not much to video capturing. instructions in the box when you get your happauge will help you.
---
#7Link43130Posted 6/22/2013 7:24:03 PM
dont get either cuz both the ps4 and the xb1 are gonna have built in recorders so no need to get one!!
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: Link43130