This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Eurogamer: AAA devs too focused on cinematic games

#1MoonBoundPosted 6/24/2013 1:19:18 AM
What a bunch of crap those people on the wii boarda are crazy.
---
I used to be an adventurer like you until I took an arrow in the knee, microsoft said deal with it!
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 6/24/2013 1:40:33 AM
Eurogamer.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#3alexismynamexxPosted 6/24/2013 2:20:46 AM
Eurogamer : AAA devs too focused on cinematic games, gives the last of us tenoutaten...

...I WONDER WHY.
#4Dragon NexusPosted 6/24/2013 4:41:16 AM
Well I agree with this sentiment. Gaming is trying so hard to be like movies...when the mediums are completely different.
You don't see movies trying to be like books, do you?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#5vigorm0rtisPosted 6/24/2013 4:47:01 AM
The written word is a lot farther from movies than movies are from games.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#6Dragon NexusPosted 6/24/2013 5:57:24 AM
The written word is a lot farther from movies than movies are from games.

Perhaps, but still games are an interactive medium for story telling, but increasingly developers are trying to take control away from the player with overuse of cutscenes, QTEs and set pieces, which are basically QTEs by another method.

So many games are so laden with set pieces they might as well be simply movies. You run down a coridor while things blow up when you reach a certain point, and you know in your head there's no danger from any of these explosions because if there was you'd just randomly die every third or so trip down this coridor or whatever. And they'll make you jump a gap or something to make you feel like you're in control when really it could just play out automatically in a cutscene with QTEs and you'd have the same result.

I'm not saying set pieces and cutscenes and the like should be removed completely, but an overreliance on them just makes me feel like the developers didn't really want a player playing their game. Like if I was allowed to play properly I might mess up their plans or not be looking in the right direction when the thing the animator spent so many months creating happens.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#7pothocketPosted 6/24/2013 6:10:48 AM
There's nothing wrong with "cinematic games" as long as they're done right. As in the player experiencing the narrative rather than just passively watching/reading it.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#8DarkSymbiotePosted 6/24/2013 6:42:25 AM
Eurogamer : AAA devs too focused on cinematic games, gives the last of us tenoutaten...

...I WONDER WHY.

Probably because they're ginormous hypocrites.
---
My Resident Evil: Revelations Review:
gamefaqs.com/xbox360/700996-resident-evil-revelations/reviews/review-154461
#9bossk5Posted 6/24/2013 6:52:05 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Well I agree with this sentiment. Gaming is trying so hard to be like movies...when the mediums are completely different.
You don't see movies trying to be like books, do you?

---
I buy used games. If you're a MGS fanboy and want to argue....don't bother, I assure you your opinions mean nothing to me. Just a heads up.
#10MrMikeMaPosted 6/24/2013 6:57:39 AM
They are correct, of course.

I'm FINALLY getting around to playing Uncharted 2 because of the acclaim, and I must say I am completely underwhelmed by the GAMEPLAY. The first two chapters have left me bored to tears. I realize this is sort of the training levels, but the gameplay is already shaping up to be beyond mediocre, and it's not like the story is that great. Already rolling my eyes at some of the dialog. It seems better tha Uncharted, so I will keep playing for now.

But, yeah....the graphics are really good, and the cinematics are over the top like the movies, and just as ridiculous as a Michael Bay flick.

But yeah - then they go give Last of Us a 10....

these cinematic games, much like summer popcorn flicks, are one and done with me. The replay value is NEVER there for me. I don't play these kinds of games again when the gameplay is mediocre or subpar. I'm not playing for the story.