This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Eurogamer: AAA devs too focused on cinematic games

#51Optimal-FitnessPosted 6/25/2013 12:55:05 AM
MrMikeMa posted...
And throwing a guy over the balcony to save yourself is stupid when many games have senseless killing even when they wherent surviving?

See, again, this is what I am talking about. Read before you reply.

5 minutes BEFORE Drake throws a guy off the balcony, he is handed a gun by his partner, and Drakes makes a comment that he does not think killing is necessary for what they were doing. His partner has to make him feel better by telling him the gun is tranquilizer darts, no killing. How nice.

So, the same Drake throws a guy to his death 5 minutes later.

It's STUPID. It's not consistent. If you want to try to make it seem like Drake is a nice guy with a hint of a conscience, don't have him killing a guy senselessly 2 seconds later.

We are just agreeing to disagree.

I know this is a cinematic game. I just agree with Eurogamer thatthis is a bad focus, especially when these AAA games have such glaring problems when telling them. They either need better writers or smarter people directing them. I consider Uncharted more like a cheesy B movie. It does not deserve to be called a AAA game.

I didn't even get into the financial aspect. Game companies are going out of business because they either

(a) going way over budget to try to make a cinematic game and not selling enough copies
(b) game companies who make smaller budget, better playing games are being muscled out of the market when reviewers slam them for not having state of the art cinematics and story.

And I not not a Naughty Dog hater, for the record. I would just play the Crash Bandicoot games over Uncharted because those games are more fun to play

You, my friend, think just the way I do. Crash>>>Uncharted/Last of Us. I miss the way games used to be. Less about realism and over the top effects, more about not so serious, genuinely interesting gameplay. Yes please.
#52vigorm0rtisPosted 6/25/2013 1:54:24 AM
Optimal-Fitness posted...

You, my friend, think just the way I do. Crash>>>Uncharted/Last of Us. I miss the way games used to be. Less about realism and over the top effects, more about not so serious, genuinely interesting gameplay. Yes please.

I find a lot of younger gamers feel this way while older ones come down more evenly on both sides. First of all, old games (like Crash) weren't so heavy on 'interesting gameplay,' it was just the only element of the game. The 'story' of Crash is like the story of Mario, no one cares.

There are still a lot of games that focus solely on gameplay. Play them and leave games that are, by intent, focused narratives alone. Like I said earlier, there's plenty of room in both for gaming.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#53ChipChippersonPosted 6/25/2013 3:37:02 AM
MrMikeMa posted...

these cinematic games, much like summer popcorn flicks, are one and done with me. The replay value is NEVER there for me. I don't play these kinds of games again when the gameplay is mediocre or subpar. I'm not playing for the story.

That's why I refuse to pay $60 for those type of games. I just beat Tomb Raider; great game but not something I'd have paid full price for because the replay value really isn't there.

Pretty much the only games I'm willing to pay full price for anymore are WRPGs, games like Far Cry and first party Nintendo stuff, games that I know I'll play the bejeezus out of due to either their sheer scale (and getting my money's worth) or compelling pure gameplay that I know I'd go back to.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#54Optimal-FitnessPosted 6/25/2013 7:22:32 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
Optimal-Fitness posted...

I find a lot of younger gamers feel this way while older ones come down more evenly on both sides. First of all, old games (like Crash) weren't so heavy on 'interesting gameplay,' it was just the only element of the game. The 'story' of Crash is like the story of Mario, no one cares.

There are still a lot of games that focus solely on gameplay. Play them and leave games that are, by intent, focused narratives alone. Like I said earlier, there's plenty of room in both for gaming.

Well what constitutes an older gamer? I'm nearly 23 and I've played since I was about 6. I wouldn't consider myself old, but maybe a gaming vet in a way. Not like I was born in the late 90's.

It's obviously all subjective, but I grew up with those silly, fun games that didn't have a deep story line. I don't hate all deep games, of course. Just because it has a deeper meaning, it's not like it goes over my head. I just feel like it can get in the way of gameplay.

Since I don't own a PS3 anymore, I've watched entire game series on Youtube for games like Journey, Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, The Last of Us. I've also played Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted 2 (though I never got past the beginning due to boredom).

Honestly, I really liked every game I just listed besides UC2, and I think most of those have pretty deep stories, save Journey. So it isn't like I think that style can't be done, I just feel like it has over saturated the gaming industry and it is extremely difficult to find these crazy cinematic games that don't ruin the whole point of playing games.

Either way, there's only a VERY few select amount of current gen. games that I'll ever consider playing again, much less keeping as a classic to play for years to come. Bring me back to several gen's ago and I don't have that problem. Anyone here played Tales of Symphonia? Deep story, excellent gameplay, 10/10 game for me. Feels like a game, plays great, perfect.