This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel achievement points have ruined the video game experience

#1VeryDarkSoulPosted 6/24/2013 1:58:12 PM
Ya they add some fun doing the achievements throughout many games so it links all your game experiences together, but I find myself sometimes judging a game based on how much gamerscore I can get out of them, when essentially gamerscore means absolutely nothing. Then there's elements added into games with achievements in mind, like collecting 100 stupid things for the 100 stupid thing achievement. They only really add to shallow games IMO. A game like Fallout 3 i didn't care about achievements, since the game was that fun, but other games? I used achievements as a way of getting some value out of a crappy, soulless game.
---
Ron Paul 2012
#2overlordlaharl0Posted 6/24/2013 2:07:22 PM
I like achievements, i like to think of them as in most games if you get 100% of the achievements that means you have beaten everything and unlocked most all things and seen all movies, Ect. Ect. Helps you keep track of your 100% progress. Unlike the old days of gaming where i just used guides to 100% lol.
---
"I'm the chaos that always crawls up to you with a smile" - Nyarlathotep...Tuu tu Ruu.
Lol mods on this site are a joke.
#3WinternovaPosted 6/24/2013 2:07:57 PM
VeryDarkSoul posted...
I feel achievement points have ruined the video game experience

Then ignore them. Problem solved.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#4SunDevil77Posted 6/24/2013 2:11:45 PM
Then I feel like you're very irrational
---
Look. I'm not a very good shot, but this American, here....uses really big bullets.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#5JascoDPosted 6/24/2013 2:14:45 PM
I don't care. I don't need them all. I still enjoy my games.

When you spend a lot of time grinding and doing something tedious, you're not enjoy the game, you're having a problem.
---
Fear makes the wolf look bigger.
#6TheBlueStigPosted 6/24/2013 2:16:16 PM
VeryDarkSoul posted...
Ya they add some fun doing the achievements throughout many games so it links all your game experiences together, but I find myself sometimes judging a game based on how much gamerscore I can get out of them, when essentially gamerscore means absolutely nothing. Then there's elements added into games with achievements in mind, like collecting 100 stupid things for the 100 stupid thing achievement. They only really add to shallow games IMO. A game like Fallout 3 i didn't care about achievements, since the game was that fun, but other games? I used achievements as a way of getting some value out of a crappy, soulless game.

You can see a full achievements list BEFORE games come out, so do yourself a favor, look through the lists and don't buy the games if you can't handle doing the achievements.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#7C810Posted 6/24/2013 2:17:06 PM
One of my biggest problems with achievements is that they have replaced collectibles in games. Yes, collectibles still exist but they aren't the same as they used to be. Before this gen, collecting stuff was a fun side activity that you could either do or ignore. But if you did it, you would be rewarded with a new item or something. Now there just isn't that same philosophy. In games like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 3, the collectibles unlock some small bonuses, but nothing really awesome. But in Nintendo games like Mario Kart or Zelda, you unlock new karts or useful upgrades.

I also think achievements have stripped some of the fun out of gaming. I admit I'm guilty of this, but too often will people put up with infuriating difficulty or a glitchy game just for an achievement whereas before we would have just left it alone. Now we just force ourselves through maddening sections just for a meaningless reward. It seems like bragging rights have mostly disappeared among gamers and their friends because of achievements. Also, I think achievements have prevented most people from replaying a game for fun since they can't earn as many achievements from a second playthrough or they already completes the game so it is relegated to the shelf for the rest of the time you own it
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
#8GenjoPosted 6/24/2013 2:17:58 PM
So if the game is good, you ignore the achievements.

And if the game is bad, you are entertained by completing them.

But you... don't... like them? Make up your mind TC.
---
"The ground is my ocean, I'm the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim."
#9darkharePosted 6/24/2013 3:34:24 PM
C810 posted...
One of my biggest problems with achievements is that they have replaced collectibles in games. Yes, collectibles still exist but they aren't the same as they used to be. Before this gen, collecting stuff was a fun side activity that you could either do or ignore. But if you did it, you would be rewarded with a new item or something.

you collect something or do something in the game, you still get something. the something you get is a achievement.
---
The future of Console Gaming, are the gamers. vote with your $!
#10VeryDarkSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 3:41:39 PM
darkhare posted...
C810 posted...
One of my biggest problems with achievements is that they have replaced collectibles in games. Yes, collectibles still exist but they aren't the same as they used to be. Before this gen, collecting stuff was a fun side activity that you could either do or ignore. But if you did it, you would be rewarded with a new item or something.

you collect something or do something in the game, you still get something. the something you get is a achievement.

but an achievement is nothing, you aren't unlocking a new character, weapon,etc. FOr that, you have to pay for DLC!
LOL
---
Ron Paul 2012