This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fallout 3 GOTY or Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition?

#1Fishman24Posted 6/26/2013 7:49:08 AM
I have played both games in the past, but I have not played the dlc for either game. Is it worth getting both, r should I just get one of the two?
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 6/26/2013 7:52:58 AM
I personally preferred Fallout 3, but New Vegas is a superior game in a lot of ways. Still more technically flaky, though, even with fixes in place. If you like the formula they're both worth picking up, IMO.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#3KabtheMentatPosted 6/26/2013 7:58:52 AM
Both are excellent games, but as a long time Fallout fan (I'm talking the original games 1 and 2 way back in the late 90s) I believe New Vegas is the superior game and fits in line with the overall theme of the Fallout series better.

That's not to say Fallout 3 is a bad game, because it's not. It's actually a pretty damn good game and I believe it had the better soundtrack, but it's not as good as FNV.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Hey whassup, it's ya boy Cowboy, AKA Too Young...to be havin' diabetes.
#4BahamutBBobPosted 6/26/2013 8:10:19 AM
I'd go for Fallout 3 personally.

New Vegas tried to change a bunch of things, which isn't necessarily bad, but it was a bit much.

Why do I need to be particularly strong to get the full accuracy of my Hunting Rifle? Sure, firing quickly in succession might be less accurate with a lower strength, but the first shot should be just as accurate with 1 strength as it would be with 10.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#5KabtheMentatPosted 6/26/2013 8:12:53 AM
BahamutBBob posted...
I'd go for Fallout 3 personally.

New Vegas tried to change a bunch of things, which isn't necessarily bad, but it was a bit much.

Why do I need to be particularly strong to get the full accuracy of my Hunting Rifle? Sure, firing quickly in succession might be less accurate with a lower strength, but the first shot should be just as accurate with 1 strength as it would be with 10.

Because that's how it originally worked in F1 and 2. The weight of the weapon and your STR affects performance.
---
#6NUKER002Posted 6/26/2013 8:15:32 AM
Fallout 3 has a better story, NPC's, radio music (ok, I like Big Iron in NV, but that is about it), Companions, Perks, ect ect! The only thing the NV has over 3 is Iron Sight, Ammo types and you can put Mods in you guns (like bigger clips)!
#7alexismynamexxPosted 6/26/2013 8:24:52 AM
I'd say fallout 3 has a more survivalist feel with a far superior atmosphere whilst New Vegas has a more robust weapons system and many MANY more things to do, but it does lack the desolate and desperate feel of 3, which I missed very much.

Plus I personally felt the characters in 3 were more interesting making the morality system and branching narrative that bit more engaging.
#8KabtheMentatPosted 6/26/2013 8:28:16 AM
alexismynamexx posted...
I'd say fallout 3 has a more survivalist feel with a far superior atmosphere whilst New Vegas has a more robust weapons system and many MANY more things to do, but it does lack the desolate and desperate feel of 3, which I missed very much.

Plus I personally felt the characters in 3 were more interesting making the morality system and branching narrative that bit more engaging.

It's not suppose to be about that. The game is about the struggle for civilizing the wasteland again, humanity (well, the humanity on the West Coast) is on the rebound after the events of Fallout 1 and 2.
---
#9Spidey555Posted 6/26/2013 8:31:41 AM
Play both, both games have their strengths and weaknesses. I loved both for what they were, although I did enjoy Vegas more and its DLC a ton more than Fallout 3
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#10frater_davidPosted 6/26/2013 8:34:13 AM
It seems everyone missed the part where TC said he already played the games but not the DLC.
To answer your question I would say NV has the better DLCs FO3 had some good ones (Point Lookout, The Pitt) but the others aren't too impressive.
If you have the money I'd say get them both, I just picked up FO3 GOTY two weeks ago for less than $10 and NV Ultimate is about $20. Either way you can't go wrong, I just liked the DLCs in NV more.