This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is replay value really that important?

#1Halochief6Posted 6/26/2013 7:54:18 AM
A recent topic reminded me of something that I may even have asked before, but nonetheless it's something I'm curious about.

Exactly how important is replay value? Not everyone will have the same answer of course, but I'm sure the board will lean one way or the other.

To me personally replay value is a non factor. I'd prefer not to have to replay games a handful of times to accomplish everything. I think it gets a bit out of hand sometimes the way people complain about games lacking replay value as if it's some sort of necessity. Why can't a single play through be enough? I understand enjoying something so much you want to redo it, but it's almost always never as good the 2nd time around (generally speaking, not just for games).

Now I understand some people feel they get more value for their dollar if there is some form of replay value. That's totally reasonable. Money is tight and you want a worthwhile purchase, which is respectable. But games do go on sale and drop in price eventually.

There are also people then who replay games, but comment about their huge backlog. There are too many games out there to try to be concerning yourself with replay value.

So what are your thoughts on replay value and it's importance?

Note: I'm not trying to knock anybody who feels it's important or who often replay their games. It's your time and at least it's still spent gaming.
---
"You haven't lived till you play fruit ninja with your wang." - cashedout_69
#2dark_shardPosted 6/26/2013 8:02:24 AM
When I was younger, replay was EVERYTHING. The number of games I was able to acquire each year was under 5, meaning I needed to make them last. Now that I'm self-sufficient, I find that I buy WAY too many games than I can possibly play, so replay is a non-factor.

So, my answer is that replay value is extremely important to some consumers, whereas it is not an issue whatsoever for others.
---
http://amuletsandale.blogspot.com/ - Games and Beer
GT: darkshardx
#3vigorm0rtisPosted 6/26/2013 8:06:26 AM
I like replaying games, but I'm likely to replay a game regardless of what a lot of gamers call 'replay value' if it's good. I'll get back to Tomb Raider... eventually.

My general feeling is that it's not worth replaying it's not worth buying, but replay value doesn't necessarily need to be built into games, although I do prefer it.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#4joegt123Posted 6/26/2013 8:11:31 AM
"Have to" play things over is utter ****. I hate achievements that do that crap.

"Want to" is an ENTIRELY different matter, and is very important. Are you really going to pay 40-60 bucks for something you're only going to run through once and never touch again? Certainly you'll find games like that, and it's unfortunate that it happensc, but if that's actually your aim, rather than finding a game you want to play over and over again because you enjoy it that much, then you're a moron.

Admittedly if you only buy bargain bin/old/used games and never pay more than $30 for a game, it's not so bad, but, still.
---
"Nothin' to see here. Nope. Nobody special. Ignore the mick with the bomb."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#5glassghost0Posted 6/26/2013 8:16:34 AM
Yes and no, just depends on the game.

There are several games that were amazing but after I beat it had no interest going back anytime soon.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#6Halochief6(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2013 8:22:33 AM
joegt123 posted...
"Want to" is an ENTIRELY different matter, and is very important. Are you really going to pay 40-60 bucks for something you're only going to run through once and never touch again? Certainly you'll find games like that, and it's unfortunate that it happensc, but if that's actually your aim, rather than finding a game you want to play over and over again because you enjoy it that much, then you're a moron.

I guess I'm a bit of a moron then.
---
"You haven't lived till you play fruit ninja with your wang." - cashedout_69
#7Dragon NexusPosted 6/26/2013 8:25:30 AM
Depends also what someone means by replay value.
Xenoblade had replay value for me in the sense I'd always want to go back to it after turning it off.
But replaying the entire story? I'm not so sure. I enjoyed the "first time" playthrough too much, and by knowing the story and such I'd feel like everything would be predictable and samey.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#8TheBlueStigPosted 6/26/2013 8:28:39 AM
Yes, replay value is massively important.

Games cost too f***ing much for me to buy one-time play-through games, I want something that's good enough to play through multiple times before I either shelve the game myself, or sell it, or give it away.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#9pothocketPosted 6/26/2013 8:36:55 AM
If a game isn't worth playing twice, what makes you think it's worth playing once?

I think this generation has gotten confused about what replayable really means. It doesn't mean that you need to play through at least twice to get all the achievements, it means the gameplay is fun enough that you want to experience more of it even after "beating" the game.

If you feel like you need to replay the game to unlock stuff, that games has no replay value.

If you feel like you want to replay the game despite not earning anything for doing so, that game has replay value.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#10vigorm0rtisPosted 6/26/2013 8:37:09 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
I want something that's good enough to play through multiple times before I either shelve the game myself, or sell it, or give it away.

'Good enough to play through multiple times' is different than replay value, though. In most gamer's eyes replay value is something built into games, not just an experience of high enough quality that it's worth experiencing twice. I think that's more to the spirit of what TC is asking.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF