This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is replay value really that important?

#31Dragon NexusPosted 6/26/2013 12:40:32 PM
You just described every single audio log from Crysis 3.

The Prototype games were full of those as well. You don't really learn anything from these, it's just some guy talking and being miserable, or someone talking about how great/terrible things are before something murders them. I don't know who these characters are, they're not telling me anything relevent to the plot, I'll never hear of them again, so why should I care?

bioshock did it right because they used maybe a half dozen characters you followed around to get some story from and maybe grow attached to in some way while also littering around a few one-off characters to give a "how it went to hell" commentary.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#32dannyaqPosted 6/26/2013 12:43:53 PM
even when prices drop and games go on sale, that still costs money. why buy more games (even if they are cheap) when you can have one game that contines to provide entertainment? a penny saved is a penny earned.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#33vigorm0rtisPosted 6/26/2013 3:12:26 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

The Prototype games were full of those as well. You don't really learn anything from these, it's just some guy talking and being miserable, or someone talking about how great/terrible things are before something murders them.

Yeah, but at least in Prototype 2 they unlocked abilities. I'm willing to hunt for collectibles that do that. Same with Spiderman: WoS.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#34Dragon NexusPosted 6/26/2013 3:19:16 PM
Yeah, but at least in Prototype 2 they unlocked abilities. I'm willing to hunt for collectibles that do that. Same with Spiderman: WoS.

Or Spiderman 2 that had possibly the greatest payoff joke to a collect-a-thon I've seen in gaming.
"If you collect all of the hint icons, they'll ALL say something different!"
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#35vigorm0rtisPosted 6/26/2013 3:24:34 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Or Spiderman 2 that had possibly the greatest payoff joke to a collect-a-thon I've seen in gaming.
"If you collect all of the hint icons, they'll ALL say something different!"

Seriously? I either didn't know that or forgot it. That's cool.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#36Silent Sniper IVPosted 6/26/2013 3:36:24 PM
Replay is basically everything for me, because a game I replay a lot will have to have astounding gameplay. I'm not into the "cinematic, amazing story" kind of games, because video game storytelling is boring and predictable to me, and as a prolific reader, I find almost nothing of value in video game stories. There are a few exceptions, and a few "decent" games, but by and large a games story usually fails to impress me.

The type of games I love are ones that focus on pure gameplay and I sink hundreds of hours into. Killing Floor, Dungeons of Dredmore, Dark Souls, FTL, Civ5, Counterstrike, starcraft, minecraft, and so on are games where gameplay is king and I'm likely to replay countless hours.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#37C810Posted 6/26/2013 3:55:21 PM
dark_shard posted...
When I was younger, replay was EVERYTHING. The number of games I was able to acquire each year was under 5, meaning I needed to make them last. Now that I'm self-sufficient, I find that I buy WAY too many games than I can possibly play, so replay is a non-factor.

So, my answer is that replay value is extremely important to some consumers, whereas it is not an issue whatsoever for others.

I think basically sums up the argument of replay value. If you can't buy a lot of games then it is way more important to get every bit of fun you can get out of a game since they are few and far between.

Halochief6 posted...
joegt123 posted...
"Want to" is an ENTIRELY different matter, and is very important. Are you really going to pay 40-60 bucks for something you're only going to run through once and never touch again? Certainly you'll find games like that, and it's unfortunate that it happensc, but if that's actually your aim, rather than finding a game you want to play over and over again because you enjoy it that much, then you're a moron.

I guess I'm a bit of a moron then.

I don't think that makes you a moron, it's just an odd philosophy because most don't understand why you would purposefully do that. Much in the same way you wouldn't buy a movie just to watch it one time. You could do that, but it just seems like a waste.

Personally, I just want a game to make me want to replay it like joegt. The Witcher 2 is a prime example of this for me. I've played through about 1/3 - 1/2 of it before I stopped due to personal problems. But I'm going to restart playing it soon and I'm already stoked to do a Dark playthrough and probably another one after that. The Assassin's Creed games are another game series that hold a lot of replay value since I want to replay the games since I thought they were really fun even though the games are pretty linear
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
#38C810Posted 6/26/2013 3:58:50 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Replay is basically everything for me, because a game I replay a lot will have to have astounding gameplay. I'm not into the "cinematic, amazing story" kind of games, because video game storytelling is boring and predictable to me, and as a prolific reader, I find almost nothing of value in video game stories. There are a few exceptions, and a few "decent" games, but by and large a games story usually fails to impress me.

The type of games I love are ones that focus on pure gameplay and I sink hundreds of hours into. Killing Floor, Dungeons of Dredmore, Dark Souls, FTL, Civ5, Counterstrike, starcraft, minecraft, and so on are games where gameplay is king and I'm likely to replay countless hours.

You should really try The Witcher 2. The story isn't predictable like most game stories and has a lot of grey in it in terms of the choices you make
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
#39shawnmckPosted 6/26/2013 4:05:03 PM(edited)
If you are a Developer, and you want your game to be traded in less at places like gamestop, then YES, you want a game to have high replay, because it equates to more people keeping the game instead of trading it in or getting rid of it.

Games with low to no replay value get traded in used the most.
#40RetroFanGirlPosted 6/26/2013 4:27:28 PM
I'll buy a game with replay value over a game without every time.
---
Warning: My opinions are mod-able.