This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games like the new Devil May Cry?

#1glassghost0Posted 6/30/2013 12:57:37 AM(edited)
I had a free redbox rental so I gave DMC a shot, I really enjoyed it, I'm no master of these type of games by any means but I had a good time with it, I've gone about halfway through Bayonetta and enjoy it as well.

My main question would be, the HD collection, are the previous games basically the same thing? If so I might pick it up.

For fans of the series, was it just how Dante looked that got the game some hate? Or was it different?

I also know of Ninja Gaiden and MGR
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#2joegt123Posted 6/30/2013 12:58:19 AM
If you consider bayonetta, ng, and mgr to be the same as dante may cry then you're severely generalizing your comparison as "hacknslash", which is the basic genre.

In that case, yes, the hd collection is a hack and slash in a similar vein.

So is dmc4, deadpool, anarchy reigns, and numerous others I dont feel like trying to name.
---
"Nothin' to see here. Nope. Nobody special. Ignore the mick with the bomb."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#3glassghost0(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 1:01:22 AM
joegt123 posted...
If you consider bayonetta, ng, and mgr to be the same as dante may cry then you're severely generalizing your comparison as "hacknslash", which is the basic genre.

In that case, yes, the hd collection is a hack and slash in a similar vein.

So is dmc4, deadpool, anarchy reigns, and numerous others I dont feel like trying to name.

Like I said, I'm no master or expert of the genre. But I played the new DMC and played Bayonetta, they are very similar.

I wanna know what fans of the series think of the new game compared to the previous ones because I enjoyed the new one quite a bit but it's my first DMC game
---
No Thanks
#4glassghost0(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 1:09:45 AM
I can tell my topic title is going to be very misleading. It's 4 am and I'm basically falling asleep as I type this stuff. I'm rambling.

I know of games from the genre. (LoS, MGR, Bayonetta, NG, etc..)

But I never played DMC until now. I had a good time with the new one and it's one of the first games I've actually finished in a while.

I want to know how true it stayed to the previous ones? I'm gonna take a guess and say not much, I doubt the others had all the dubstep crap and flashy graphics or whatever.

But is the basic gameplay the same? Unlock the new weapons and being able to switch between them all on the fly?

How much differs between the new and the old? Will I even enjoy going back to the old ones?
---
No Thanks
#5joegt123Posted 6/30/2013 1:38:35 AM(edited)
It really didn't stay very true to the series at all, hence all the hate. The action is similar but that "hold x for x mode" pish never existed. And, until dmc4, the weapon switching had never been so free form. While it existed, it was in a much more limited capacity.

The first one came out in 02 I think so obviously it's going to play a LOT slower than the new one with much less sophistication.

Jump into mgs4, then go play mgs1.
Play ac3, then grab ac1.

Same concept. Ergo, you might like them or you may completely despise them due to their age.

There's no way to gauge.

Edit: as for the music, no. No wubwub or tripstep or wetf they want to call it. It was metal in 3 and 4. Not sure about 1 and 2.
---
#6Dyno_StormPosted 6/30/2013 1:38:40 AM
Afro Samurai
Anarchy Reigns
Batman Arkham Asylum/City
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
Deadpool
Devil May Cry 4
Dynasty Warriors
God of War
Lollipop Chainsaw
Ninety Nine Nights
Ninja Gaiden II/III/Razor's Edge/Black
No More Heroes
Samurai Warriors
Vanquish
Warriors Orochi
X-Men Origins Wolverine

Similar hack n slash/beat em up games. Keep an eye out for Killer is Dead.
---
GT: DynoStorm
#7joegt123Posted 6/30/2013 1:48:31 AM
Dyno_Storm posted...
Afro Samurai
Anarchy Reigns
Batman Arkham Asylum/City
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
Deadpool
Devil May Cry 4
Dynasty Warriors
God of War
Lollipop Chainsaw
Ninety Nine Night
Ninja Gaiden II/III/Razor's Edge/Black
No More Heroes
Samurai Warriors

Vanquish
Warriors Orochi
X-Men Origins Wolverine

Similar hack n slash/beat em up games. Keep an eye out for Killer is Dead.

Fixed, to my experience. The bolded games are so very different from the dmc format. ESPECIALLY the arkham games... I don't even know how drunk you'd have to be to make that connotation.
---
#8majinbuu58Posted 6/30/2013 1:50:17 AM
joegt123 posted...

I have no idea what he's going on about but bayonetta, mgr, and ninja gaiden are what you want. The dmc hd collection was great as well.
#9glassghost0(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 1:50:41 AM
He did say hack n slash and beat em up
---
No Thanks
#10Dyno_StormPosted 6/30/2013 1:56:03 AM
Meh, true. Still you do string combos and utilize different weapons/tools against dozens upon dozens enemies.
---
GT: DynoStorm