This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which to play first: Dragon Age: Origins or Dark Souls?

#1metaldiggle2Posted 7/5/2013 12:32:09 PM
I have both downloaded and imagine that either one I go with will likely suck up most of my gaming time for awhile. And there's no guarantee I'll play the other game right away after finishing whichever I go with first; I might find something else on sale. So if you've played both, which do you recommend I tackle first?
---
There are times where I wish I could delete stupid threads I see.
Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions/President's Trophy Winners
#2DieMyBridePosted 7/5/2013 12:40:57 PM
Dragon Age. I really have no reason other than I like it more than Dark Souls.
---
XboxLive GT:JoeStillLife
#3Just_The_TipPosted 7/5/2013 12:41:37 PM
I prefer Dark Souls.

You want a good story and great characters with poor graphics and fairly old-school RPG mechanics. Want a little romancin?

Do you want better, more stylish graphics, actiony combat and a steep (though never really cheap) learning curve? Also the story, though subtle is rather nice in DS too.
---
Seattle Seahawks 2014 Superbowl Champions
#4vigorm0rtisPosted 7/5/2013 12:42:20 PM
Eh... depending on how you like Dark Souls, you might well spend hundreds of hours on it. I'd play DA:O first, or you might not get to it in the foreseeable future.

Note, I like DA:O a lot more than Dark Souls, I'm just saying DS really jives with some people and they spend a lot of time with subsequent playthroughs and PvP.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#5master_gamr1231Posted 7/5/2013 12:47:09 PM
Well, I much prefer DA:O. It felt more refined and in-depth. Dark Souls was a bit bland. Nice environments and exploring, though.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#6foodeater4Posted 7/5/2013 1:20:05 PM
There both quite different games besides having a fantasy setting. I've also logged 100's of hours on each, I couldn't pick a favorite.

If you just wanna lay back and enjoy a good story go with Dragon Age.

If you wanna game and take down huge bosses, have an old school challenge that involves a lot lf dying and learning boss patterns and stuff then maybe DS.

OVerall though Id think one playthough of DA:O will be shorter then one of DS. Dragon AGe is like 30ish hours, maybe more if your slow or do adbosluletly everything. DS took me about 70 the first time though, but of course a lot of that was grinding for souls, side exploration and such, prolly some pvp too.
#7metaldiggle2(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 5:23:41 PM
Thanks for the input, all. I think I'll start with DA:O, largely because it appears that I'll be able to fully experience it a lot quicker, and that's key to me right now in my current situation. Thanks again!
---
There are times where I wish I could delete stupid threads I see.
Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions/President's Trophy Winners
#8JJroootPosted 7/5/2013 6:42:04 PM
Played both... Dark Souls consumed me.... just overall one of the best gaming experiences this gen
---
If alcohol is a crutch, Jack Daniels is a wheelchair
Xbox Live GT: Saynt614
#9GGearXPosted 7/5/2013 6:48:43 PM
That's a simple decision TC.

Dark souls= hardcore

Dragon age= casual.

Which type of gamer are you?
---
Gt-KryDamoure (Cryoflove)
..........I-I'm a very shyyy guy, I-I'm sorry ....... *blushes *
#10TearsfoUniversePosted 7/5/2013 6:54:41 PM
GGearX posted...
Dark souls= hardcore

Dragon age= casual.

casual

that is just malarkey
---
Completed Nuzlocke, Fire Red. Pokemon: Charizard, Shiny Tangela, Venomoth, Zapdos. RIP Gyarados, Hitmonchan