This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games worth getting today? (and mini HL2 rant)

#1deadpigs101Posted 7/5/2013 1:17:55 PM(edited)
So I got Bioshock Infinity. Thinking about XCOM too. Any other games I should consider getting today? Don't really know much about the others so hopefully someone here has experience

EDIT: I should elaborate; I already have Tomb Raider and GoW is still too expensive to warrant me picking up a game in a series I never played

also off topic but I got the orange box; already played TF and Portal, but I figured for the price I might as well try HL2 . . holy crap is it good!! I really wish I would of tried these games out years ago. Is Half Life 1 worth checking out, or is it too dated for a newcomer?
---
GT: DonGiovanni023
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u58/DonGiovanni023/siggy-1.jpg
#2SonyHoundDawgPosted 7/5/2013 1:40:55 PM
The original half like is very dated graphically. Came out in 98 of course so its pretty old.

BUT assuming your going to play on PC, there are mods out there that really improve the graphical quality. I believe its called Half Life Black Mesa.

If you just want the official game, I know on steam they sell the original half life, and there also a remastered version called Half Life Source. It looks better then the original, but its a lot simpler then a modern game. Prolly more along the lines of the first halo or something.
#3deadpigs101(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2013 1:45:27 PM
SonyHoundDawg posted...
The original half like is very dated graphically. Came out in 98 of course so its pretty old.

BUT assuming your going to play on PC, there are mods out there that really improve the graphical quality. I believe its called Half Life Black Mesa.

If you just want the official game, I know on steam they sell the original half life, and there also a remastered version called Half Life Source. It looks better then the original, but its a lot simpler then a modern game. Prolly more along the lines of the first halo or something.

So would you recommend Black Mesa or Source? HL2 feels dated, but it's fun and I just want to learn more and more about this world they created . . and this was minutes into the game. From what you said Source may be better for me. Starting to check out the Hitman game, last ones I played were on the PS2 (it was like the first 3 in some collection) and hated all of them. I have heard they rebooted the series since and that this one plays more akin to modern shooters
---
GT: DonGiovanni023
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u58/DonGiovanni023/siggy-1.jpg
#4SonyHoundDawgPosted 7/5/2013 2:06:09 PM(edited)
http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/Black_Mesa:About_the_Mod

You can basically get black mesa and play half life 1 for free. You have to have steam to download source sdk or whatever its called. All the info is on there. Oh and last I really checked I think the entire game was not finished yet, there a cutoff where the mod ends, so if you never played it before it might not be the best place to start.

If you'd rather play the original game as the dev's made it then I'd go for Half The Source which is also on steam but its $10 at this time.
#5pothocketPosted 7/5/2013 2:04:48 PM
Glad you're able to see the greatness of HL2, TC. Most people that play it today are like, "I don't get it. It's like every other shooter out there" without realizing it was like every other shooter before every other shooter was even made. HL2 is a game from last gen, folks!
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#6fiasco86Posted 7/5/2013 2:05:35 PM
Back in 2007 when I played HL2, I wanted to try out HL as well. I'd recommend you don't. It's extremely dated both graphically and in gameplay design. There really isn't much backstory that you're missing out on by starting with HL2. I would just read a Wikipedia article or watch a Youtube video to catch up on what you missed.
---
Top 100 Games of All Time video countdown: http://goo.gl/onR6Q
#7fiasco86Posted 7/5/2013 2:08:10 PM
SonyHoundDawg posted...
It looks better then the original, but its a lot simpler then a modern game. Prolly more along the lines of the first halo or something.

The first Halo is the first game I would consider a modern FPS. Just about every FPS today emulates Halo in many ways.
---
Top 100 Games of All Time video countdown: http://goo.gl/onR6Q
#8foodeater4Posted 7/5/2013 2:11:03 PM
pothocket posted...
Glad you're able to see the greatness of HL2, TC. Most people that play it today are like, "I don't get it. It's like every other shooter out there" without realizing it was like every other shooter before every other shooter was even made. HL2 is a game from last gen, folks!

Im in the same boat as TC, just started HL2 for the first time. It doesn't feel like last gen to me at all, or the maybe was just so damn good is still works today. Even graphically it looks better then many 360 games, up to maybe a 2010 or 11.

Anyways. This Half Life Source sounds interesting. Is it really around Halo 1 quailtiy? I could totally enjoy that. I actually only played Halo CE for the first time in 2010 I think and I loved it, then I got anniversary and played it some more all prettied up.
#9jimm120Posted 7/5/2013 2:25:08 PM(edited)
deadpigs101 posted...
So I got Bioshock Infinity. Thinking about XCOM too. Any other games I should consider getting today? Don't really know much about the others so hopefully someone here has experience

EDIT: I should elaborate; I already have Tomb Raider and GoW is still too expensive to warrant me picking up a game in a series I never played

also off topic but I got the orange box; already played TF and Portal, but I figured for the price I might as well try HL2 . . holy crap is it good!! I really wish I would of tried these games out years ago. Is Half Life 1 worth checking out, or is it too dated for a newcomer?

I picked up The Orange Box when it came out.

I attempted to play HL2 6 different times since then. It was just SUCH a bad game. Finally, last summer, I forced and willed myself through this game and finally got to a part with "hammer of dawn" strikes coming down and a mansion. Then I stopped. It was just such an awful game. Finally, I started playing again on July 1st this year. Finished it on July 2nd.

NOT a memorable game at all. I loathed it. Its the only game that has ever given me headaches while playing it. I just can't stand it. It was complete boredom.

So yeah...4 years to finish Half Life 2. And I still got Episode 1 and 2.... :/ And from what I hear, Episode 2 deals a lot with the CraptasticularCancer driving elements. bleh! But I'll give it a shot.

Still debating if I should give Portal a shot :/ Half Life 2 has left such a bad taste in my mouth.

---
Worthy Indie: Trino - Shoot 1UP - Weapon of Choice - Your Doodles Are Bugged - Breath Of Death
Queued: You Will Die - Veks & Silence - Kaleidoscope - Olu
#10Mister_LintonPosted 7/5/2013 2:37:12 PM
jimm120 posted...
deadpigs101 posted...

I picked up The Orange Box when it came out.

I attempted to play HL2 6 different times since then. It was just SUCH a bad game. Finally, last summer, I forced and willed myself through this game and finally got to a part with "hammer of dawn" strikes coming down and a mansion. Then I stopped. It was just such an awful game. Finally, I started playing again on July 1st this year. Finished it on July 2nd.

NOT a memorable game at all. I loathed it. Its the only game that has ever given me headaches while playing it. I just can't stand it. It was complete boredom.

So yeah...4 years to finish Half Life 2. And I still got Episode 1 and 2.... :/ And from what I hear, Episode 2 deals a lot with the CraptasticularCancer driving elements. bleh! But I'll give it a shot.

Still debating if I should give Portal a shot :/ Half Life 2 has left such a bad taste in my mouth.

There is no reason to be hyperbolic about it. Don't try so hard next time. -3/10