This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ever been put off by a game that you really wanted to enjoy but couldn't?

#1levyjl1988Posted 7/6/2013 11:13:31 AM
If so what what game was it and why? It could anything from gameplay mechanics, game design, frustrating moments, etc that made you put your controller down and couldn't pass a certain segment.
---
Now I'll have to buy all next gen consoles, sigh. :(
#2Kreeping DeathPosted 7/6/2013 11:16:35 AM
Anarchy Reigns.

I love Platinum Games, and I really wanted to like it, but having to earn enough points to unlock the next story mission is pretty irritating.
---
Da doy dought da dasketdall.
http://www.last.fm/user/CommodoreKD
#3joegt123Posted 7/6/2013 11:17:01 AM
Repeatedly and often.

Most currently: MGS3. The control scheme is terrible. Makes the game very difficult to play even though Ialready know I love the story.

I'm forcing myself through it, but...
---
"Nothin' to see here. Nope. Nobody special. Ignore the mick with the bomb."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#4SunDevil77Posted 7/6/2013 11:17:20 AM
Dishonored. Just wasn't fun, to me. And I was quite excited when they first announced it. Love the art style, too.
---
Justice...is what I seek, Kemosabe.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#5GGearXPosted 7/6/2013 11:21:48 AM
Tomb Raider.

Combat was weird for me
TOMB RAIDED after doing some dumb puzzle (wtf)
Shaky Cam overdrive
The open worldness felt too linear. I expected more.
Combat skills ARE LOCKED , I don't even know why , the perks didn't look overpowered at all.
Some of the puzzles are simple as heck.

WHERE ARE MUH TOMBS?!?!?!?

I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. Love the new laura, but the game felt too meh.
---
Gt-KryDamoure (Cryoflove)
..........I-I'm a very shyyy guy, I-I'm sorry ....... *blushes *
#6pothocketPosted 7/6/2013 11:24:02 AM
Far Cry 3 - it just felt so generic. Like it had crafting and hunting gameplay because that is what's trendy in game design now or something. And, oh look, vantage points I climb up and survey the area to reveal all the open world side quest points of interest! Jeez, Ubisoft, where have I seen that before?!
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#7Matt_256Posted 7/6/2013 11:25:58 AM
Dark Souls/Demon Souls

Good games and I appreciate them. I just can't bring myself to ever complete them.. I always just lose touch and move onto something else. Something about putting hours into something and accomplishing nothing doesn't sit with me too well..
#8casedawgzPosted 7/6/2013 11:32:31 AM
I really want to like State of Decay but it forces me to put up with insane amounts of BS.
---
Official Justin Gabriel mark of the PWB
#9levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 11:33:54 AM
For me it was:

Mass Effect:
Just not as good as ME2. Crappy character customization options. Decrypting, hacking and etc fell limited to a couple characters, can be roadblocks. Areas felt recycled and interface is complicated. You can spend more time in the menu than playing the game.

Oblivion:
Missing two story based achievements but can't pull myself through those copy and pasted oblivion gates.

American McGee's Alice:
Stuck and too lazy to progress. Place feels like a damn maze. Immediately lost interest.
---
Now I'll have to buy all next gen consoles, sigh. :(
#10Dragon NexusPosted 7/6/2013 11:34:04 AM
GGearX posted...
Love the new laura

Not enough to get her name right, though.

For me, perhaps Kingdoms of Amalur. I wasn't expecting anything ground breaking but I hoped for a world I could care about, a story that was compelling...the usual stuff you'd want from an RPG.
Didn't get it. I struggled to listen to any of the characters as they dumped exposition on me, the fighting was okay but I was tiring of it by the end of the demo and overall I just felt like I was wasting my time.

I suppose I could add DA2 to the list, after playing DA:O so many times with several characters, getting every achievements and having two finalised characters that had been everywhere and done everything I was set for DA2 to deliver at least the same quality of game as DA:O. I was enjoying myself at first, the new combat engine felt more involving, I felt like I was actually controlling my character rather than issuing commands by remote, but as time went on the game felt more and more unfinished. Recycling areas isn't an instant negative for me, but when it's done to this extent it becomes almost comical. The world felt small, the story felt like it was always building up to something but fizzled out only to build up to something else and fizzle out...

Eh, I was just really disappointed with it.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde