This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gameplay vs Story

#1Bac0n01Posted 7/6/2013 2:06:23 PM
Which do you think is the more important aspect of a game? I personally think gameplay is more important. I am not going to play a game just for the story if it is a chore to play, but if a game has a crappy story it can still be fun (Just Cause 2, every FPS ever, etc.).
What do you think?
---
Michael: "What was the most inspiring thing I ever said to you?"
Dwight: "Don't be an idiot. Changed my life."
#2kwarantinePosted 7/6/2013 2:10:15 PM
It depends on what the game is trying to do. For instance, I prefer story-driven games (Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc) but I'm not gonna go to Call of Duty expecting a great story. I would play something like that for the gameplay and competitive nature of it. Granted, I would like it if they put a little more effort into the stories of games like that. However, if you look at something like Assassin's Creed 2, it has a pretty good story and really fun gameplay as well.
---
GT: Menace 117 PSN: Menace117
I would've liked to run tests on those seashells. - Mordin Solus
#3velvet_hammerPosted 7/6/2013 2:15:52 PM
why is this always brought up? this isnt even a discussion..

gameplay > every thing else

If you want a good story I promise you there is more then plenty of other mediums that blow video game stories to pieces
---
"Ignorance is venomous, and it murders the soul
Spreading like a virus running rampant, but out of control" Immortal Technique
#4SoloPosted 7/6/2013 2:18:00 PM
I am with velvelt here.

You may want an awesome story, but you will not go through it if the gameplay isn't good.

You will play through a crappy story if the gameplay is good.
---
getting moderated builds character
#5Bac0n01(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 2:20:06 PM
Solo posted...
I am with velvelt here.

You may want an awesome story, but you will not go through it if the gameplay isn't good.

Agreed.
---
Michael: "What was the most inspiring thing I ever said to you?"
Dwight: "Don't be an idiot. Changed my life."
#6seankimberley42Posted 7/6/2013 3:00:48 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I don't even consider the story when choosing a game, but many do. And to velvet; yes, the stories in games are mostly horrible, but we're only in the beginning stages. Have you seen any movies from before 1930? Have you read any books from centuries ago? Not too many literary classics. Not only that, but to some the immersion the media offers is worth the sacrifice of some complexity.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#7NIN_tendoPosted 7/6/2013 3:10:56 PM
Solo posted...
I am with velvelt here.

Yes I will. I will play a game with a crappy story if it's fun as well. As long as a game is good in some form I will play and enjoy it. I have no preference. Why would I? Do I want to try and seem better than someone else just because I prefer a certain aspect of games? No, I enjoy good games. Period.
---
Wii FC 3756-1965-4560-5571
360 GT xX NIN tendo
#8jakisthePosted 7/6/2013 3:12:24 PM(edited)
why is this always brought up? this isnt even a discussion..

gameplay > every thing else

If you want a good story I promise you there is more then plenty of other mediums that blow video game stories to pieces

This. If you're here for the story, you are severely limiting yourself by going with a medium which, so far, has had absolutely terrible stories.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#9Nova_CastingsPosted 7/6/2013 3:13:24 PM
Gameplay, 100%

I couldn't care less about the story most of the time. It's nice when you do get some good writing in a game, but far from necessary.
---
~Nova Castings
Relax and enjoy a haiku.
#10BingSanpaoPosted 7/6/2013 3:14:59 PM
Graphics. I can play games with terrible stories and horrendous game play as long as they are pretty.