This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need an honest opinion on Tales of Vesperia

#1MuchamanPosted 7/6/2013 5:46:52 PM
Is it worth $30 at this point? I bought Lost Odyssey and DA:O and was just not impressed at all. LO was nice but the characters and loading times have really put me off. The " short stories" don't really appeal to me much either. After playing for about 10 hours I have given up on it. The battle system in DA:O is also not for me at all. I really have no idea what I am doing gameplay wise in that game it just feels so unorganized and messy. The graphics also put me off.

Now having said that, is ToV good fun? I loved Tales of Symphonia. I can get it for $25 (will take 10 days to get here) or just pay $30 via Games on Demand. Would like some opinions. I don't want to buy another game and end up regretting it!
---
Wow Muchaman why do you have to pwn everyone you see - Typhoid Larry.
Will change this sig when 0 Person ask.
#2brunbbmercPosted 7/6/2013 5:48:40 PM
story is awful and gameplay is alright. it has co-op too which is rare for an RPG
---
Dignity. Intelligence. Class. brunbbmerc. S&R's number one Rams fan.
http://www.gif-man.com/Animatedgifs/Spinning-SkullRedEyes.gif
#3WinternovaPosted 7/6/2013 6:37:06 PM
It's painful to try and play. Horrible trope-laden story, pathetic characters, and practically non-existent gameplay.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#4Muchaman(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 6:39:01 PM
fml why is it so hard to find a good game these days. Last gen I could just find a great game in a matter of minutes. I`ve had more fun with my Wii than my ps3 and 360 which is pathetic
---
Wow Muchaman why do you have to pwn everyone you see - Typhoid Larry.
Will change this sig when 0 Person ask.
#5Luke_the_Duke15Posted 7/6/2013 7:56:39 PM(edited)
Personally, I found Tales of Vesperia to be an excellent game. The only other Tales game I played was Abyss, and I didn't find the story in Vesperia to be as good as it was in Abyss, but the main character, Yuri, was more immediately likable than Luke, the main character in Abyss. With that being said, I did find the overall cast in Abyss to be more likable and believable than in Vesperia, but that's definitely not to say the cast in Vesperia is bad, because it's very, very far from it.

As far as battle system goes, it's an upgrade to Abyss' battle system, which is an upgrade to Symphonia (I believe). It's definitely fun, although it can feel a bit sluggish at the beginning, only because of the lag time between an attack and being able to run, but you get used to that quickly. It's definitely better than DA:O's battle system. I'm playing that now and I just cannot get into it. Like you said, it really seems like one big mess.

On other aspects, the music is great, and the graphics are really pretty. Voice acting is pretty good for the most part, and I feel it really shines with Yuri. There are some moments in the story that do seem a bit too dramatic, but they're few and far in between.

Overall though, I would definitely recommend buying ToV. I bought it for $30 off of GoD, and don't regret one penny. If you loved Tales of Symphonia, then I have little doubt you'll love Tales of Vesperia.
---
The Duke has spoken!
#6overlordlaharl0Posted 7/6/2013 7:07:20 PM
Lol @ all the haters. It's worth 30$
---
"I'm the chaos that always crawls up to you with a smile" - Nyarlathotep...Tuu tu Ruu.
Lol mods on this site are a joke.
#7z1hayzePosted 7/6/2013 7:11:05 PM(edited)
Yeah it's worth the $30. I am in the middle of playing it now and It's really starting to pick up. Kind of slow at the start because you don't have many attacks but It does get a lot better. There is also an anime move that is a prequel to the game called Tales of Vesperia: First Strike. If you like the anime type style games then you will like this.

Also, look up some reviews from gamers on youtube.
---
Don't forget to activate the quantum cheese grader or the ninja monkeys will attack and drink all the root beer God put on the moon.
XBL GT - xxpurplehayzexx
#8adam101Posted 7/6/2013 7:15:39 PM
I liked Symphonia. I bought Vesperia and can't finish it. The story is just so poor. The game play is just like any other tales game. I would buy the disc copy and try that out. That way if you don't like it you can sell it.
#9Killah PriestPosted 7/6/2013 7:49:28 PM
One of the best RPGs ever.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#10NevercomingdownPosted 7/6/2013 8:32:09 PM(edited)
If you loved ToS you'll really love ToV. It's better in just about every way. Much better story, characters, battle system.
---
GT: Elesp || PSN: DestroyTheEnd