This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need an honest opinion on Tales of Vesperia

#21gabriusPosted 7/7/2013 6:59:40 AM
Winternova is a xenophobe - the fact that this game wasn't made by white men is reason enough for him to hate it.

He's also Phil Fish's cousin.

...and I heard he kicks puppies.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#22WinternovaPosted 7/7/2013 7:51:56 AM
I'm in no way a xenophobe. How one can be labeled as such for disliking a style of game is beyond me. Whenever anyone makes a game that appeals to my sensibilities, I'll play it...no matter who programmed it. Dragon's Dogma is great, as is EDF, the Katamari series, and others.

The problem is that, for the most part, I despise anime and its tropes. Excepting the anime I watched as a kid (Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets), it holds no appeal to me.

I also dislike some of the design choices they use...the same bland menu systems that have been around for 30 years, the same menu selection sound, etc.

Disliking aspects of a culture does not mean one fears it. I dislike aspects of American culture too, it didn't mean I fear Americans...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#23Ratlank02RPosted 7/7/2013 7:58:41 AM
Winternova posted...
I dislike aspects of American culture too, it didn't mean I fear Americans...

I always become incredibly excited when I see Winternova make a mistake.
---
It irritates me when people say "RPG games".
#24WinternovaPosted 7/7/2013 8:04:38 AM
I need to be more careful when I'm posting from a phone, especially when in a car.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#25rockyoumonkeysPosted 7/7/2013 8:24:19 AM
As you can see, people are sharply divided on ToV.

I loved it, though at the same time I haven't finished it. That's true of most JRPGs...since they're just too long, I always need a lengthy break, and I never go back and finish.

Yeah, the story is a string of cliches, and your tolerance for annoying anime stereotypes will need to be pretty high (mine is) for you to like the characters, but the gameplay is typical Tales, so it's fun.

Vesperia was FAR better than Graces f, anyway.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Playing: The Last Of Us
#26Gandalf the IstariPosted 7/7/2013 9:13:09 AM
Muchaman posted...
Is it worth $30 at this point? I bought Lost Odyssey and DA:O and was just not impressed at all. LO was nice but the characters and loading times have really put me off. The " short stories" don't really appeal to me much either. After playing for about 10 hours I have given up on it. The battle system in DA:O is also not for me at all. I really have no idea what I am doing gameplay wise in that game it just feels so unorganized and messy. The graphics also put me off.

Now having said that, is ToV good fun? I loved Tales of Symphonia. I can get it for $25 (will take 10 days to get here) or just pay $30 via Games on Demand. Would like some opinions. I don't want to buy another game and end up regretting it!

It's definitely worth it, especially if you're a Tales fan. I think it's one fo the best entries in the series and one of the better JRPGs this generation. It sort of suffers the classic Tales syndrome - interesting/lovable characters that are part of only a so-so plot. That being said the graphics look great and gameplay is top notch.
#27vgsrulePosted 7/7/2013 4:18:57 PM
It's a fairly generic anime style JRPG. If you enjoy games like that, you'll probably like it.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't my favorite. I haven't really cared for what I played of Symphonia, though either, so I might just not like Tales all that much.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#28GGearXPosted 7/7/2013 4:29:48 PM
It has a fairly good Story.

But the gameplay is REALLY good
As a symphonia lover (top rpg of all time)
vesperia manages to beat it in certain things like the combat system. Not to mention way more side missions . Voiced skits are lovely as well. Also you get A VOICED OPENING BOTH ENGLISH AND JAPANESE!
Definitely a win.

Also if you gave a Ps3. Keep an EYE OUT FOR

TALES OF SYNPHONIA HD COLLECTION. I'm going to buy it and I don't even have a PS3 :D
---
Gt-KryDamoure (Cryoflove)
..........I-I'm a very shyyy guy, I-I'm sorry ....... *blushes *
#29NeoGeoXSegaPosted 7/7/2013 6:21:50 PM(edited)
Muchaman posted...

Now having said that, is ToV good fun? I loved Tales of Symphonia. I can get it for $25 (will take 10 days to get here) or just pay $30 via Games on Demand. Would like some opinions. I don't want to buy another game and end up regretting it!

Vesperia craps on Symphonia in every way.
Bigger & better.
---
"gone are the days of creativity, and playing japanese games because you secretly wish you were japanese" -CinisterX
#30Killah PriestPosted 7/7/2013 6:22:45 PM
Symphonia was so terrible.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.