This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about unofficial repair coosts

#1glory of power metalPosted 7/7/2013 11:49:51 AM
About 2 years ago I had an Elite model red ring out of warranty. I tried the x-clamp method to fix it, and after putting it back together (I followed the instructions perfectly and didn't have any problems during the process) the system wouldn't turn on at all anymore. I just counted my losses and packed it away.

So now here I am wondering if anyone has experience taking systems to a non-Microsoft repair shop. I'm curious what the prices would be like to get a totally non-responsive botched x-clamp system repaired. Think the repair could fall somewhere in the $100 range, or am I better off getting a new and more dependable system?
---
Now Playing: Saints Row: The Third, Sub-Terrania, Super Stardust HD
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#2pyrokinesis666Posted 7/7/2013 11:52:19 AM
just get a new system if you can and save yourself the hassle
---
live tag: XxPyRoKiNeTiCxX
#3Gaara_fan151Posted 7/7/2013 12:12:35 PM
Professional unnoficial services in the likes of a reballing or reflowing usually range from U$30,00 to U$50,00. Some of them offer warranty for their service while others don't. If service is done properly and no further damage was caused by tricks and fixes like the penny trick/towel trick, a reballed xenon or zephyr (First two revisions of xbox 360) should last at least a year.
---
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the of Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
#4glory of power metal(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2013 2:17:15 PM
Eh, last thing I want is a system that lasts about a year. Kinda sounds like a slim might be my best option.

One follow up question: do systems like mine sell for anything? Like a no longer running car could I get like $50 for parts or should I just throw it in the trash right now?
---
Now Playing: Saints Row: The Third, Sub-Terrania, Super Stardust HD
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher