This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Adventures games seen as Interactive Movies

#1Bloodlines1191Posted 7/9/2013 4:39:06 PM
It's a genre that recently had a revival with Heavy Rain and people called it that in another topic while defending Uncharted. People also hate TWD for that same reason. What changed in the recent years that made people hate the genre so much? I'm the only one on these boards who calls it an Adventure game so I'm wondering

It's like calling games like 999/Hotel Dusk/Phoenix Wright Visual Novels/Books.

Looking for SERIOUS answers only. This is like my question on how GoW popularized QTEs yet people still remember Shenmue and want the trilogy to end. It's almost as bad as Bronies and Pegasisters liking all things My Little Pony yet hates G3 with a passion. It's valid to taunt Sports games but Adventure games deserve full hatred.

IMO the reality of it is Heavy Rain and TWD is an Adventure game. Uncharted is just a game with QTEs and cinematic platforming. If cinematic platforming and moments like that makes an Interactive Movie, then all those Youtube comments about 1313 being an Uncharted clone just for the platforming are wrong.

I posted this on the PS3 boards (ugh) and no replies.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#2VeryDarkSoulPosted 7/9/2013 4:42:33 PM
games like 999/Hotel Dusk/Phoenix Wright Visual Novels/Books. ARE visual novels
---
Ron Paul 2012
#3Bloodlines1191(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 4:50:36 PM
VeryDarkSoul posted...
games like 999/Hotel Dusk/Phoenix Wright Visual Novels/Books. ARE visual novels

Fine. I screwed up. But what about the rest of the examples?
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#4BlueJester007Posted 7/9/2013 4:51:39 PM
I consider them games. I don't care about the genre (as long as it is not Sports), if you have engaging gameplay, you got a good game on your hands. And Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead have engaging gameplay; therefore, I consider them good games.
---
If everyone keeps blindly buying into the hype and praising stuff like Bioshock Infinite, then we'll all be stuck playing Space Invaders forever.
#5master_gamr1231Posted 7/9/2013 4:52:55 PM
I dunno. In my opinion, all that is necessary for a game to be a game is interactivity. I think an interactive movie is a game.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#6TheBlueStigPosted 7/9/2013 4:55:48 PM
There's ways to make adventure games so they're NOT anything like the crap that is The Walking Dead, that point and click crap needs to die and stay dead, Myst killed it but now it's a f***ing zombie that just won't die (pun intended).
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#7singhellotakuPosted 7/9/2013 7:29:04 PM
I just wish people would realize that survival horror games were basically just dark adventure games with a bit of combat thrown in to keep them interesting. If capcom would only just realize that we could get another good RE game.
#8ssjgohhkuPosted 7/10/2013 1:19:45 AM
Shenmue 2 is still my most favourite interactive movie.
#9howdyneighbor25Posted 7/10/2013 1:22:10 AM
indie films = indie trash
---
A new man
Paladin of the Brotherhood of Toeh
#10scoobydoobydontPosted 7/10/2013 1:53:01 AM
Most people loved TWD and Heavy Rain, it's only the "gameplay is all that matters" self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamers who troll adventure games.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png