This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Adventures games seen as Interactive Movies

#11Pharsti01Posted 7/10/2013 12:54:23 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
I consider them games. I don't care about the genre (as long as it is not Sports), if you have engaging gameplay, you got a good game on your hands. And Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead have engaging gameplay; therefore, I consider them good games.

Pretty much this, anyone who considers them "interactive movies" should just be dismissed. Just trolls.
---
Democracy is when 2 wolves and a sheep meet to decide who is for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has a gun.
#12ssjgohhkuPosted 7/10/2013 4:13:25 AM
Pharsti01 posted...
BlueJester007 posted...
I consider them games. I don't care about the genre (as long as it is not Sports), if you have engaging gameplay, you got a good game on your hands. And Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead have engaging gameplay; therefore, I consider them good games.

Pretty much this, anyone who considers them "interactive movies" should just be dismissed. Just trolls.

People on the PS3 board even consider TLOU, Uncharted, Gears, MGS and Bioshock interactive movies...
#13scoobydoobydontPosted 7/10/2013 4:17:53 AM
I don't think "interactive movie" is an insult, personally.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#14pothocketPosted 7/10/2013 4:23:53 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...

Agreed. I don't care if people don't think of Walking Dead as a game. I do care if they think it's an insult.

It's interactive, it's entertaining, I don't see what the problem is.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#15Ginsu VictimPosted 7/10/2013 4:38:53 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
point and click crap needs to die and stay dead, Myst killed it

I hated Myst, but what about all the excellent Lucasarts and Sierra P&C games that came after it?
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#16ssjgohhkuPosted 7/10/2013 5:56:53 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...

It normally isn't but people on gamefaqs use it as one.
#17Dragon NexusPosted 7/10/2013 6:08:16 AM
I think it's a matter of how in control the player feels.

If a player feels his actions matter, that he has control over the general outcome of a game and that what he's doing it furthering the plot to the eventual climax then it's a good feeling.

As soon as the player feels he's being railroaded and that everything is out of his control and he's really just watching a movie while playing with the remote control (and the batteries have been taken out of the remote) then they start to ask "What's the point of me being here, exactly?".

If you have a game that basically plays itself, the player is disengaged and will rebel. You can also do things like adding charaters the player wants to know more about or just generally cares about. Adding a compelling story. But in general players want gameplay that feels necessary. Nothing like a developer throwing them a bone "Oh yeah, the cutscene's over. You can do some climbing or...I dunno, maybe we'll throw some collectables around. Go hunting, whatever."
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#18AsucaHayashiPosted 7/10/2013 7:16:10 AM
Ginsu Victim posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
point and click crap needs to die and stay dead, Myst killed it

I hated Myst, but what about all the excellent Lucasarts and Sierra P&C games that came after it?

you and i know damn well he wasn't born until long after that era ended.

... XD

as for topic heavy rain and TWD are adventure-lite which seems like the only real way for the gamers of today to accept the genre.

i just wish there were the slighest hint of actual difficulty and challenge in the puzzles and exploration but no... gotta appeal to errrrybody.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#19ssjgohhkuPosted 7/10/2013 8:33:18 AM
Xbox 360 only has video games and no interactive movies.