This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Been thinking of series that gets hated for being the same

#1flame030191Posted 7/9/2013 8:49:37 PM
've noticed this hate starts AS SOON as the series starts actually changing.

CoD, for example. Everyone hated MW2 and Black Ops first stating that they were just reskins of last year's games. However, MW2 added in customizable kill streaks, the ability to destroy killstreaks, new loadout system, new challenges, new unlock system, more customization, and co-op mode, among other features. Black Ops added in CoD points, yet another unlock system, theatre mode, wager mode, dolphin dive, contracts, changed the pace and core gameplay, and split-screen, among other features. Each of these did change from their previous additions in multiple ways.

God of War: Ascension is hated for "being too similar". Yet they added a momentum meter to punish you for taking damage (forcing you to do more than mash square on easy mode), a new magic system, it added special moves, dynamic puzzles, an optional, yet fitting, MP mode, and more.

There's obviously more series out there that gets hated for the same reason, and all the time it reduces their critics score and makes people like them less, yet again, it starts as soon as changes are actually made. Why is it this way?
---
PSN ID: armyflame (formerly Troll_Face_Flame) X360 gamertag: That Guy Flame
MLG: because skill is determined by what you use, not how you play.
#2glassghost0Posted 7/9/2013 9:12:18 PM
The hate is never going to go away no matter what happens.

Things mostly just get hate because it's "fun"

I play CoD and none of them are the same other than the basic gameplay, which doesn't need to change.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#3GuideToTheDarkPosted 7/9/2013 9:15:03 PM
Popular things get hate because it's cool to hate popular things.

Well, okay, a lot of popular things suck. But unlike the radio, no one is blaring CoD down main street to annoy everyone.
---
My X-box One will be like God, in that it doesn't exist and I'll feel sorry for people who have one.
#4BrazenMDPosted 7/9/2013 10:24:56 PM
Pokemon
#5Halo_ForeverPosted 7/9/2013 11:47:48 PM
The sort of people who complain about stuff being the same don't count incremental change as change. I don't think that they can be satisfied as they will complain about it changing too much when the series start to change their fundamental mechanics.

Of course this doesn't mean that two games in a series couldn't been too much alike, Warriors Orochi 1 and 2 had that problem for me.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#6OmegaFlare18Posted 7/10/2013 1:07:08 AM
I don't really hate for being too similar, I hate for the frequency at which I see it. It's like one food you always eat or one song that's always on the radio; yeah they're good and all but when you see it so much it's like "god, enough".

GoW: A though is just straight up expansion pack, even if it's got an MP
---
Steam ID: mystr_E
http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=Z11U9T0Q
#7NazanirPosted 7/10/2013 1:19:25 AM
glassghost0 posted...
The hate is never going to go away no matter what happens.

Things mostly just get hate because it's "fun"

I play CoD and none of them are the same other than the basic gameplay, which doesn't need to change.

While I can understand and apreciate the thought: Don't fix it if it isn't broken, how does that justify having to buy a new game each and every year for 60 bucks just to be able to keep playing? Everyone moves on, so if you want to keep playing, you'll have to buy the latest installment or else you are missing out on your multiplayer. (Oh and that's not even including all the money you'll spend on DLCs).

Though I don't play Halo nor CoD, the product cycle of a Halo game is far more useful in that regard, because you don't have to upgrade every year, seems alot more consumer friendly, specially on their wallet.
---
XboX GT - Nazanir
#8NemerlightPosted 7/10/2013 2:59:32 AM
Everyone moves on, so if you want to keep playing, you'll have to buy the latest installment or else you are missing out on your multiplayer

Completely wrong. Older games still have plenty of people playing.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
Ever get lonely? Remember, the NSA is right there with you - Internet.
#9ACHEEKSMALLOYPosted 7/10/2013 7:13:54 AM
GuideToTheDark posted...
Popular things get hate because it's cool to hate popular things.

Well, okay, a lot of popular things suck. But unlike the radio, no one is blaring CoD down main street to annoy everyone.

because ads all over already do that
---
R.I.P. Ryan Davis
http://www.youtube.com/ALMIGHTYCHEEKS
#10ChipChippersonPosted 7/10/2013 7:14:52 AM
OmegaFlare18 posted...
I don't really hate for being too similar, I hate for the frequency at which I see it. It's like one food you always eat or one song that's always on the radio; yeah they're good and all but when you see it so much it's like "god, enough".

GoW: A though is just straight up expansion pack, even if it's got an MP

Same here. I don't hate CoD per se but I hate the fact that I can never get away from it whether it be countless stories on game news sites or even ads plastered on Amazon. I'm simply sick of hearing about the bloody series every day of my life. There's almost never a moment when it isn't being ram-rodded down my throat. It's like if every time you turn on a tv or go to a web site there's Justin Bieber; after a few days you'd be sick to your core of his very existence.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.