This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone list the main complaints people had about GTA IV?

#1warior55Posted 7/10/2013 1:01:49 PM
I'm genuinely curious, this isn't meant to incite a flame war. I didn't play GTA IV when it first came out, so I don't really remember how people felt about it at first. However, now everyone seems to think it sucks.

After finally finishing it, the only real complaints I have are:

- lack of checkpoints in missions
- getting important phone calls while going to pick up a girl for a date, and you answer it thinking its just a regular call but it initiates a huge mission in the middle of the date and you have to abandon the girl
- various bugs and glitches during missions (ties in to my first complaint, having to restart a whole mission because of a glitch is frustrating as hell)

Other than that, its a pretty good game.

Please enlighten me.
#2knives outPosted 7/10/2013 1:10:46 PM
my only complaint was the high maintenance friends and their constant phone calls. otherwise the game is 10/10.
---
Remember.... violence is NEVER the answer. Sometimes, though, it's the question... and the answer is "Yes".
#3glassghost0Posted 7/10/2013 1:14:06 PM
I think a lot of it was that there wasn't as many activities to do as the previous games.

And I never understood all the hate for Niko, I really enjoyed playing as him.

But it was a great game that spawned 2 great dlc expansions.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#4MrluzoPosted 7/10/2013 1:17:57 PM
None really. With the exception it did not have enough Brucie. Should of had him in his own story as a dlc.
#5NevercomingdownPosted 7/10/2013 1:20:56 PM(edited)
I really liked Niko, the other characters and story. But I felt the controls were a little weird when trying to be precise.. the physics were good for the most part but if you fell sometimes it took forever to get up. But my main issue was it felt like GTA took a step back, especially compared to the customization and fun of SA. It really didn't add anything new.

Still a good game, prob just my least favorite 3d gta. GTA 5 looks amazing though
---
GT: Elesp || PSN: DestroyTheEnd
#6_Pingu_Posted 7/10/2013 1:20:47 PM
"Wah it's not San Andreas" is the only real complaint besides those you mentioned.
---
Be happy and stuff
#7MrluzoPosted 7/10/2013 1:24:52 PM
What exactly was so fun about SA? I played it and found it very annoying verging on tedious. Especially the "Wrong Side of the tracks" mission.
#8JKSonicPosted 7/10/2013 1:25:08 PM
warior55 posted...
I'm genuinely curious, this isn't meant to incite a flame war. I didn't play GTA IV when it first came out, so I don't really remember how people felt about it at first. However, now everyone seems to think it sucks.

After finally finishing it, the only real complaints I have are:

- lack of checkpoints in missions
- getting important phone calls while going to pick up a girl for a date, and you answer it thinking its just a regular call but it initiates a huge mission in the middle of the date and you have to abandon the girl
- various bugs and glitches during missions (ties in to my first complaint, having to restart a whole mission because of a glitch is frustrating as hell)

Other than that, its a pretty good game.

Please enlighten me.

Yes, all that, but also: (please note I beat the game and don't HATE it, I was just disappointed in it)

- Car physics were far too realistic for such an unrealistic game

- Car camera was TERRIBLE, why in the world would they make a camera that lags behind the car instead of just following it? The amount of times I crashed due to not being able to see properly is staggering. Was also too low and too close and there was really no options/solutions that worked except constantly adjusting it.

- Felt like the overall tone was a little too serious and the attempts at humor were just way off. There was many times in the game were I was embarrassed to play it in front of my Wife. Brucie? Really?...REALLY?

- The on foot controls were atrocious and basically controlled like an early PS2 game. In fact most of the control issues from the older games carried right over despite the physics overhaul.

- Shooting controls, also terrible. (and let's be clear, when I say terrible I don't mean unplayable, but I do mean borderline unacceptable)

- There was so much in the game that was there just to extend it. I know previous games had stuff but if you wanted to unlock the friendship benefits you needed to put TONS of time into dating/man-dating.

- Much of the terrible animation from previous games also carried over, especially in cutscenes. For some reason RockStar just cannot master animating and rendering hands and wrists...
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
#9MrluzoPosted 7/10/2013 1:30:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HgIcssGTU8

So, after that horrific mission lurking in my mind, this is what is considered fun by some?
#10SoincMetalPosted 7/10/2013 1:30:10 PM
- Customization from SA was gone (Looks like it's back!)

- Not SA (..........>_>......)

- Some people don't like GTA (just not their cup of tea)
---
SonicMetal? See the error in my name! I Skate DGK All Day. Brawl FC:4511-0201-6892