This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone list the main complaints people had about GTA IV?

#21VlayerPosted 7/11/2013 12:57:57 AM(edited)
Car controls were fine, great even. The only "bad" thing about it is that it's more difficult than the other GTA games, and in that case, it's more dependant on your skill whether you like it or not.

Complaining about the shooting is silly, especially when compared to the previous GTA's, the shooting was good for a Sandbox/Open-World game and the Euphoria engine made it better with the realistic ragdoll.

The addition of Multiplayer(rarely mentioned in topics like these) was a huge plus, especially if you had friends to play with. Free Roam may not have had a lot of content, but you could do a lot in the city. Modes like Cops 'n' Crooks and the Co-Op missions were also fun.

EDIT: Also, "Wrong Side of the Track" is far from the worst/hardest mission in San Andreas. Anyone that has played the Zero missions knows that.
---
Now the story of a family whose future was abruptly cancelled, and the one fan who had no desire, but for it to keep going. It's S4 of Arrested Development!
#22Aadrian1234Posted 7/11/2013 3:00:31 AM
One thing I hate is car handling. It's nearly impossible to drift into a turn without spinning out. Just give us a way to drift without spinning back the way I was originally facing in GTAV
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#23Dragon NexusPosted 7/11/2013 3:06:27 AM
I know how to drive a car in real life and in games.
I'm not a master of Forza or GT or anything close, but I'm pretty good and I can hold my own.

The driving controls for GTA were awful. They don't need to be slippy and slidey like GTA3 and on, but for what the game demanded of you, the driving didn't fit the bill. I know to slow down before a corner and take it slow before accellerating, but driving realistically in an open world game *is not fun*. Especially when the game throws chases and escapes at you frequently as part of the story missions.

Your prey turns a corner way more tightly and a lot faster than you can, if you try you either spin out or crash into something. So you have to take it slow and they get away from you. But it seems R* realised this and made the chases almost scripted where you simply cannot catch up to them before you're allowed to.

Escaping is the same thing, you slow down for the corner and your enemy catches up to you and rams you. Before I could handbreak turn around the corner and be away. In Saints Row I've played co-op and donw a J-turn mid drive, reversed down the road while my partner gets a better shot at the vehicle chasing us, J-turned back and driven away. (Another reason I disliked SR3, the driving just wasn't as responsive). Can't do anything like that in GTA4. It's just not as agile and responsive as the situations seem to demand of you.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#24DarkSymbiotePosted 7/11/2013 4:16:35 AM
mtjormitch posted...
The Car handling was beyond horrid and the fact that GTA5 is said to have better driving fills me with great joy. The fact is that the driving was HORRENDOUS. I literally took a Taxi through 70% of the game and whenever I was forced to drive I freaking hated the game says something.

It wasn't THAT bad, geez. It just takes some getting used to.

They were awful.
---
My The Last of Us Review:
gamefaqs.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/reviews/review-154646
#25grimmdaddyPosted 7/11/2013 4:19:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#26LiteMatterPosted 7/11/2013 4:43:44 AM
Things i couldnt stand in gta 4

Over sensitive police and way to many of them. Punch someone or run someone over and good chance you'll be running from the cops for the next 5 minutes.

Niko moves like stiff old 79 yr old. Takes forever to get up. Fights horrible.

No bicycles

No planes

No seatbelts. If your going to have me fly threw windshields i should have a seatbelt option.

Limited weapons compared to older gta

No garages

No buying safe houses

No buying property businesses

No gambling

No gangs or gang territories

No tanks or military

Not as many mini games

No sky diving

No duel wielding

No body changes

No hairstyles

Poor clothing options

Vehicles damage to easily

No diving

No change in scenery like country side or forest.

No tatoos

No vehicle customization

Probably more im forgetting. I hated it at first but got into it eventually. I enjoyed the dlc way more than the main game though.
#27JKSonicPosted 7/11/2013 4:44:22 AM
"Complaining about the shooting is silly, especially when compared to the previous GTA's, the shooting was good for a Sandbox/Open-World game and the Euphoria engine made it better with the realistic ragdoll."

Good for GTA yes, but as I already mentioned...good for a modern sandbox game? NO!

Nearly every other modern sandbox game has done shooting better, including even R*'s own Red Dead (though in that game it still wasn't ideal).
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
#28Jas_PataPosted 7/11/2013 5:16:29 AM
JKSonic posted...
"Complaining about the shooting is silly, especially when compared to the previous GTA's, the shooting was good for a Sandbox/Open-World game and the Euphoria engine made it better with the realistic ragdoll."

Good for GTA yes, but as I already mentioned...good for a modern sandbox game? NO!

Nearly every other modern sandbox game has done shooting better, including even R*'s own Red Dead (though in that game it still wasn't ideal).

Well yeah... IV ISN'T modern...
---
aka - Nah Tso Gud
#29JJroootPosted 7/11/2013 5:19:27 AM
The missions got kinda boring imo.

Go here kill him, Go there pick up that, Go there drop him off, Go to the strip club...etc...

After i beat the game i never touched it again... for me it had no replayability.

I do admit to buying both DLC's and beating them within a day... but still afterwards... never touched the game again.

Overall a great experience but left me with "meh"

Multiplayer was fun for about 20 mins.
---
If alcohol is a crutch, Jack Daniels is a wheelchair
Xbox Live GT: Saynt614
#30SolidStryderPosted 7/11/2013 5:32:11 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
mtjormitch posted...
The Car handling was beyond horrid and the fact that GTA5 is said to have better driving fills me with great joy. The fact is that the driving was HORRENDOUS. I literally took a Taxi through 70% of the game and whenever I was forced to drive I freaking hated the game says something.

It wasn't THAT bad, geez. It just takes some getting used to.

They were awful.

You probably just needed to get better at gaming.