This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTA5 to have mandatory install; comes on 2 DVDs

#1PolishCockatielPosted 7/11/2013 9:16:37 AM
Taken from the amazon product page

In order to provide the best possible experience for such a massive and detailed world, the game will have installation requirements on the PS3 and Xbox 360. For PS3, GTAV ships on one disc and will install content as soon as you insert the game - the install is roughly 8GB, and players will be able to play as soon as the install is complete. For Xbox 360, GTAV will ship on two discs; Disc 1 will be used for a one-time mandatory install and Disc 2 will be used to play the game. After the install, players will be able to enjoy both Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online without any need to switch discs.

So its a pretty hefty 8 gig install and apparently the 360 version comes on 2 discs. Good thing MS is giving the XB1 a blu ray drive. Speaking of which, if the install is 8 gig on 360 as well, does that mean the people who have a 4 gig HD 360 will be screwed when they attempt to install GTA5? Man, it'd suck to hard to be in that position.
#2MrMikeMaPosted 7/11/2013 9:19:53 AM
*** cancels pre-order ***

Oh wait, I didn't pre-order this game. Not interested.
#3DarthvadePosted 7/11/2013 9:21:30 AM
Yeah i would assume that the 4GB HDD would not work for this, then again the 4GB was designed and marketed just like the old Core (no HDD). People that have them should be aware that it has limitations. Most of the people that would buy one either replaced the HDD or are not really the target demographic for GTA.
---
- Everybody Lies -
#4DieMyBridePosted 7/11/2013 9:24:34 AM
Buy a 16gb usb drive for $10...
#5SheepinatorPosted 7/11/2013 9:24:35 AM
It should install to a USB stick? $10 solution right there, unless you have a spare lying around, in which case free.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#6EvilDeadAlivePosted 7/11/2013 9:25:33 AM
People with 4 GB units can still play the game. They'll just need a USB.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ASX2Y5S.png
This thing reads like stereo instructions.
#7flame030191Posted 7/11/2013 9:27:29 AM
Darthvade posted...
Yeah i would assume that the 4GB HDD would not work for this, then again the 4GB was designed and marketed just like the old Core (no HDD). People that have them should be aware that it has limitations. Most of the people that would buy one either replaced the HDD or are not really the target demographic for GTA.

I'm pretty sure people knew of the regular limitations: no original Xbox games, not much data, limited on DLC usage.

However, I can't think of a single full retail game before that required you to have an HDD to play the game. Bethesda's games *kinda* required it if you wanted to use the DLC, but it wasn't required to play. I'm pretty sure that anyone with a 4GB system who pre-ordered this game will probably be upset to know they gotta spend more money now.
---
PSN ID: armyflame (formerly Troll_Face_Flame) X360 gamertag: That Guy Flame
MLG: because skill is determined by what you use, not how you play.
#8MrMikeMaPosted 7/11/2013 9:28:40 AM(edited)
I needs to a USB drive. I had the 120 gig drive and running out of space.
#9EvilDeadAlivePosted 7/11/2013 9:31:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that anyone with a 4GB system who pre-ordered this game will probably be upset to know they gotta spend more money now.

And? Rockstar has made it pretty clear that there is a mandatory install. Maybe the uninformed should have spent two seconds researching a game before they pre-order it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ASX2Y5S.png
This thing reads like stereo instructions.
#10flame030191Posted 7/11/2013 9:32:55 AM
EvilDeadAlive posted...
I'm pretty sure that anyone with a 4GB system who pre-ordered this game will probably be upset to know they gotta spend more money now.

And? Rockstar has made it pretty clear that there is a mandatory install. Maybe the uninformed should have spent two seconds researching a game before they pre-order it.

ITT: Everyone always does tons of research before buying a game.
---
PSN ID: armyflame (formerly Troll_Face_Flame) X360 gamertag: That Guy Flame
MLG: because skill is determined by what you use, not how you play.