This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Everyone lied to me about Dragon's Dogma

#1xKaimPosted 7/13/2013 7:24:26 PM
I feel like everyone had nice things to say about Dragon's Dogma, whether it be critic reviews, or just users on here. After putting in about 10 hours of frustration/restarting, I'm not sure I can hold on to it much longer. Here are a few reasons as to why I can't stand the game at the moment.

The travel system blows. The sudo-fast travel system is just a pain. Areas are too large and too empty to keep me interested. Everything in the game is lifeless, including NPCs in town and those who walk the roads. The quest system seems to bug out on me more than it should. 90% of the time it won't show me where to go to complete the quest, and the remaining 10% leads me to an NPC who won't help me advance in my quest. I've never played a game with such little direction when it comes to following a quest line. The game is ugly, I feel like it was pointless to install the HD texture pack when the game just leaves a bland taste on my tv. Everything in the game is brown, including the enemies, characters, the main city.

So tell me Gfaqs. Why does this game get such praise ? Am I missing something ? Maybe I have a bad character ? Maybe the game isn't that good ?

Please let me know what you think so I can sleep well tonight. Thanks.
---
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
#2SunDevil77Posted 7/13/2013 7:27:16 PM(edited)
A lot of people like something you don't? Sounds like it just isn't your thing. It happens.
No one "lied"
---
Justice...is what I seek, Kemosabe.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#3velvet_hammerPosted 7/13/2013 7:29:04 PM
dark arisen is a top 5 rpg this gen.. get a clue
---
"Ignorance is venomous, and it murders the soul
Spreading like a virus running rampant, but out of control" Immortal Technique
#4HandGodPosted 7/13/2013 7:32:02 PM
It's not like everyone had nothing but nice things to say about it. I see praise, sure, but I've seen a lot of criticism targeted at the game, and for some of the very reasons you listed. It's in the 70's over at Metacritic, so it's not like this game is just universally loved by critics, either. You just happen to have an opinion that falls into what I see as normal for a game that has come off, to me, as love or hate. Nothing to lose sleep over dude, really.
#5xKaim(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 7:36:41 PM
I just thought it would be a game that I enjoyed playing. Everything I read about it sounded like something I would enjoy playing.

I've played and loved Monster Hunter and Dark Souls and I get that vibe from this game, I just don't see how so many players can get so 'in' to this game. Hundreds of hours and playthroughs, multiple characters, people farming for top tier weapons.

I just don't see it.
---
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
#6pitt12177Posted 7/13/2013 7:48:41 PM
The standards have lowered for this generation. Too many people sings songs of praise for mediocre games. A lot of this stems from borderline cult culture where gamers defend these broken / lifeless mechanics to their grave.
#7SunDevil77Posted 7/13/2013 7:50:32 PM
xKaim posted...
I just thought it would be a game that I enjoyed playing. Everything I read about it sounded like something I would enjoy playing.

I've played and loved Monster Hunter and Dark Souls and I get that vibe from this game, I just don't see how so many players can get so 'in' to this game. Hundreds of hours and playthroughs, multiple characters, people farming for top tier weapons.

I just don't see it.


I just loved the epic scale battles. Climbing on mythical creatures, exploring deep underground dungeons.

The world wasn't all that interesting, but the mechanics were the thing that sold me.

Have you tried the Pawn system? It's a lot of fun to play around with, too
---
Justice...is what I seek, Kemosabe.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#8DarkSymbiotePosted 7/13/2013 7:58:16 PM
From: pitt12177
The standards have lowered for this generation. Too many people sings songs of praise for mediocre games. A lot of this stems from borderline cult culture where gamers defend these broken / lifeless mechanics to their grave.


Very much true. Also, TC, I'm sorry you've been told DD was fun.
---
Go watch Pacific Rim now!
#9WinternovaPosted 7/13/2013 7:59:48 PM
xKaim posted...
The sudo-fast travel system


pseudo
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#10xKaim(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 8:03:51 PM
I don't think I've done much with the pawn system because the game doesn't thoroughly explain what you can do and what each item is capable of.

I made my main pawn a healer because I figured I would need that help on my journey, I created an assassin myself so I can climb upon monsters and pretend I'm playing SotC.
---
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.