This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Everyone lied to me about Dragon's Dogma

#41joegt123Posted 7/14/2013 7:17:32 PM
You are, all of you, on the drugs.
---
"Nothin' to see here. Nope. Nobody special. Ignore the mick with the bomb."
Currently Playing: Too damn many things at the same bloody time... (25+)
#42TrugamerPosted 7/14/2013 7:39:49 PM
The game is good but not great however due to the extreme lack of quality games of this kind this gen it seems better than it really is and I think that is where most of the praise comes from, lowered standards and the proverbial cracker for the starving man.
#43velvet_hammerPosted 7/14/2013 7:44:42 PM
your opinion lied to you
---
"Ignorance is venomous, and it murders the soul
Spreading like a virus running rampant, but out of control" Immortal Technique
#44CrayCrayFishPosted 7/15/2013 2:53:40 AM
Only reason it sold a copy was because of RE6
#45CrayCrayFishPosted 7/21/2013 3:30:00 AM
CrayCrayFish posted...
Only reason it sold a copy was because of RE6
#46CyricsServantPosted 7/21/2013 5:12:52 AM
xKaim posted...
So tell me Gfaqs. Why does this game get such praise ?

Because it's awesome.

. . . But yeah, I'll agree the game really needs some form of fast travel (besides those outrageously expensive warp stones I never used) and better directions would be nice. Even Demon's/Dark Souls gave the player some viable method of fast travel. Running everywhere on foot gets old fast. Hopefully that'll be addressed in the sequel we all know is coming.

Anyway, the good aspects of this are game are:

1. Shadow of the Colossus style boss fights. You get to latch on to most bosses and slice off different limbs/appendages to cripple them, taking away their special abilities. It's really satisfying.
2. Excellent and unique class system. I mostly played the game as a holy knight, which is a fairly well rounded character with strong physical offense/defense and even better offensive magic.
3. Awesome, cinematic "final" boss.
4. Really neat twist towards the end I won't spoil, which change how the last 5-10 hours are played.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's what I liked about it.
#47simonbelmont2Posted 7/21/2013 1:01:07 PM
SixStringHero posted...
I enjoyed it enough to finish it. Put about 50 hours into it. I think a lot of that time was repeating the same roads and monster encounters. Unfortunately there's not much variation when wandering the roads. You will encounter the same Cyclops in the same spot every time regardless if you killed it and the bandits before.

The game should of had a traditional fast travel system that you can use whenever you discover a location. The constant walking is tedious. This could have been alleviated by giving the player mounts or unlimited sprint when in the open and out of combat. Luckily the map is fairly small and no where near as big as something like Oblivion or Skyrim, so it's annoying but manageable.

Interactions with NPCs in towns were lackluster, the gift system was worse than Fable and the tech behind the game was so bad NPCs would literally pop on screen.

I agree with those points about the flaws in the game.

DD is a love or hate game and a lot of gamers dislike it, it didn't get universal praise and even the review scores were around 7/10 - 8/10 if I remember right.

I enjoyed the game personally even though it has some significant flaws. There is a fast travel system in the game but it is not as easy to use or as accessible as the one in Skyrim for example. The thing is the map is so small that it doesn't take long to get from one place to another so I didn't find it a problem. Had the map been as big as Skyrim without any fast travel at all then that would be a different matter.

The best things about DD are the pawn system and the combat, some of the action RPG's I have played had fairly mediocre combat so DD stands out because it has a fun combat system and the ability to climb big enemies. The character animations are also decent and the pawns add another layer of fun to the game as there are so many of them to experiment with.

The game also avoids using a lot of copy/pasted weapons and armor which is also nice. If you get a new weapon or item of clothing there is a good chance it will look different from the stuff you already have.

For me one of the biggest flaws with the game is how empty the world is as there aren't really that many enemies to fight when you roam around outside of forts, town or dungeons. Also the same enemies appear in the same places every time as the poster I quoted mentioned.

The game is far from perfect but it gets the combat and loot right which is enough for me.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him