This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need opinion on AGPtek hard drives

#1WeirdJohnPosted 7/15/2013 7:40:25 PM
Hey all.

Got an older 360 with 20 GB hard drive and am looking to upgrade before GTA5 comes out. Saw AGPtek hard drives and was wondering if anyone has used them. Trying to find out if they are worth it performance and reliability wise and if they come with a transfer cable so I can transfer data without too much trouble.

Saw them on Amazon and Best Buy. 120, 250, and 320 sizes for 50 to 70 bucks.

Thanks in advance for the help.
---
WeirdJohn: The King Of Safe Haven!
#2TheBlueStigPosted 7/15/2013 8:44:14 PM
Buy the official drives, or get a pair of 32GB USB drives if you really need the space.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#3WeirdJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 5:13:15 AM
With the slims out now it is very hard to find official drives for the older model Xbox systems. Plus, I'd rather not put a huge investment into an older machine if I wind up needing to replace it down the line.

The AGPtek drives seem to have good reviews. Most complaints is they don't have the backwards compatibility area but I don't use that anyway.

The 32GB sticks are a good idea but I thought the USB limit was 16GB? Has that changed?

If anyone has used these drives I could use an opinion.
---
#4NakedSnake1986Posted 7/16/2013 7:02:06 AM
Hi TC, MS has upped the flash drive space to 32 GB and you can use 2 flash drive at the same time.

I would buy the Jacobparts HDD on Amazon, they are a good company to buy from and return too.
---
Tied to a wheel, fingers got to feel,
Bleeding through a tourniquet smile
#5WeirdJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 7:08:14 AM
NakedSnake1986 posted...
Hi TC, MS has upped the flash drive space to 32 GB and you can use 2 flash drive at the same time.

I would buy the Jacobparts HDD on Amazon, they are a good company to buy from and return too.

Thanks man. Just what I was looking for.
---
#6WeirdJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 7:09:22 AM
For the Jacobsparts one, do I need to get a transfer cable or does it come with something already to transfer data?

Thanks.
---
#7TheBlueStigPosted 7/16/2013 7:53:16 AM
WeirdJohn posted...
With the slims out now it is very hard to find official drives for the older model Xbox systems. Plus, I'd rather not put a huge investment into an older machine if I wind up needing to replace it down the line.

The AGPtek drives seem to have good reviews. Most complaints is they don't have the backwards compatibility area but I don't use that anyway.

The 32GB sticks are a good idea but I thought the USB limit was 16GB? Has that changed?

Yes the limit on USB sticks changed more than 6 months ago, it's now 32GB per stick, limited to 2 sticks per system inserted at any one time.

And someone claimed last week that they couldn't find large drives for the original system, then someone else popped up a link for a 250GB original drive. They're out there, plus you could always buy a Slim drive and shove it into the older enclosure, there's a youtube video explaining how to do it.

The reason it's better to buy official is because you can get your account banned and your hardware banned if you buy a 3rd party drive that's been illegally flashed to play original XBox games.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#8WeirdJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 8:22:42 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
WeirdJohn posted...

Yes the limit on USB sticks changed more than 6 months ago, it's now 32GB per stick, limited to 2 sticks per system inserted at any one time.

And someone claimed last week that they couldn't find large drives for the original system, then someone else popped up a link for a 250GB original drive. They're out there, plus you could always buy a Slim drive and shove it into the older enclosure, there's a youtube video explaining how to do it.

The reason it's better to buy official is because you can get your account banned and your hardware banned if you buy a 3rd party drive that's been illegally flashed to play original XBox games.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that. I don't plan on flashing a drive to play original XBox as I don't play any of those games. Played Halo 1/2 and that was it, but I haven't played them for years so it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I did some more searching and found a 120GB as well on Amazon, but it was double the money.

I'm still debating on whether to get a bigger hard drive or just a bigger flash drive. Hard Drive is more convenient, flash is way cheaper.
---
#9TheBlueStigPosted 7/16/2013 8:27:36 AM
WeirdJohn posted...
I don't plan on flashing a drive to play original XBox as I don't play any of those games.

Sometimes the drives come already flashed, that's what you need to be careful of.
---
Ben Franklin
#10WeirdJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 8:31:46 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
WeirdJohn posted...
I don't plan on flashing a drive to play original XBox as I don't play any of those games.

Sometimes the drives come already flashed, that's what you need to be careful of.

Got it. Saw reviews were people have stated they are not flashed (main complaint), but I can see the risk there. Definitely something to think about that I hadn't before.
---