This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for older gamers: Have gamers always been as grouchy as they are today?

#1warior55Posted 7/15/2013 10:56:48 PM
I might just be too young to make this judgment (I started gaming with N64/PS1 but didn't really keep up with gaming culture till PS2/Gamecube gen) but it seems to me like gamers are now more than ever angry at EVERY SINGLE change that is made in every series. My chief example of this is Halo: I played Halo CE and was instantly hooked, I bought Halo 2 on release day and loved it, same with every other Halo game. But halo 4 gets tons of s*** for no reason other than angry people nostalgia'ing over Halo 2. If you go back and play Halo 2 now, its not as fun as it was back in the day. There's nothing wrong with Halo 4, but god forbid its not a direct copy of Halo 2, therefore its bad. Grand Theft Auto is the same story: oh, GTA IV sucks because its not San Andreas, blah blah blah. Its ok to think San Andreas and Vice City were better, but don't go to the extreme to say that GTA IV "sucks" when its still an amazing game.

Even look at Pokemon: every b****es and moans about the new Mewtwo form. God forbid Nintendo gives you more content. This is just getting ridiculous, everyone hates everything new before even giving it a chance.

Fellow gamers, I'm gettin real tired of your s***...
#2VeryDarkSoulPosted 7/15/2013 11:22:47 PM
so 1 person complains about mewtwo and that suddenly makes it the majority of people
---
Ron Paul 2012
#3SirEsquireIIIPosted 7/15/2013 11:32:34 PM
The first game I ever b*****ed about was Mario 2. I was 11, and I wrote a scathing letter to Nintendo Power magazine but they didn't publish it :(
---
...numpty
#4Explicit DankPosted 7/15/2013 11:41:39 PM
Not when I was a kid. But back then I only knew a couple other people with Atari's, we had a 2600 and Pong, so it was cool just to be able to play different games on anything.
---
Parental Advisory - Explicit Dank
#5The_Mighty_KELPPosted 7/15/2013 11:50:48 PM
No, I don't think so. Back then we were a lot happier with what we got. Nowadays gamers' senses of entitlement is blown out of proportion, and the internet makes it a lot easier to complain.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#6HeadneckPosted 7/15/2013 11:55:20 PM
Back in the day there wasn't a convenient way to express your opinion to masses of people. So they probably did complain, but only to their friends.

I'd say it wasn't on the scale that we see now, but people still had opinions on game design back then.
---
Streets is watchin'
#7brunbbmercPosted 7/16/2013 12:02:29 AM
yes. you just didnt have the internet
---
Dignity. Intelligence. Class. brunbbmerc. S&R's number one Rams fan.
http://www.gif-man.com/Animatedgifs/Spinning-SkullRedEyes.gif
#8majinbuu58Posted 7/16/2013 12:07:42 AM
Vocal minority. How often do you here people complain about capcom's practices?

New street fighter 4 edition coming soon anyways.

It sells. People buy it.
#9BrutalBrockenPosted 7/16/2013 12:47:42 AM
Like a few people said, yes gamers appera to be more whiny and entitled but thats due to the advances in technology and the ability to complain about as an anonymous person with no fear of getting smacked in the back of the head and told to shut up.
By advances in technology, I'm mostly talking about the fact that gamers are feeling that if they don't like it, then it better get fixed. Patches and the Mass Effect 3 ending come to mind.
Now the internet, I'm one of the few who's probably beyond sick of playing online games anymore. Playing GTA4 and watching people teleport into my car, superspeed, and freezing the game just playing last night,
Just a few gaming generations ago we didn't have the ability to complain anonymously as they do now. You just deal with it, or write a letter in the few competing game magazines out there, But people generally seemed to enjoy games more. Not looking for a way to cheat to win or just lloking for minor problems to glitch about.
But thats all my opinion
---
The Goddamned Devil
XBOX- Brutal Brocken PS3- BrutalBrocken
#10LapanuiPosted 7/16/2013 1:11:39 AM
It's called the internet...

More people have access to it, people can moan, troll and complain as much as they want because they know that nobody will know who they are.

When I was a kid, we only rented games for a couple of nights. This was maybe once or twice a month. It was for my SNES, which I was lucky enough to get it brand new. My parents didn't have a lot of money at the time and I was happy with whatever game I was playing at the time.

I don't moan or whine about a game or a console. I see what they have to offer and if it interests me, then it interests me. If it doesn't, I don't come on here trying to push my views onto other people like a lot of people do on here. It's just irritating.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1