This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for older gamers: Have gamers always been as grouchy as they are today?

#11stawg007Posted 7/16/2013 2:26:47 AM
For me it comes down to two things

The internet which makes expressing opinion easier and the introduction of **** like on disc dlc, little originality in games, sequels that are the same copy paste crap every year etc
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#12Master_M64Posted 7/16/2013 2:41:32 AM
warior55 posted...
But halo 4 gets tons of s*** for no reason other than angry people nostalgia'ing over Halo 2. If you go back and play Halo 2 now, its not as fun as it was back in the day. There's nothing wrong with Halo 4, but god forbid its not a direct copy of Halo 2, therefore its bad.

This is an ignorant statement to make. Halo 4 genuinely has a lot of problems that make it not as great as the other Halo games for other people. Ignoring those and claiming that the only reason people hate it is nostalgia is quite dumb.

warior55 posted...
Its ok to think San Andreas and Vice City were better, but don't go to the extreme to say that GTA IV "sucks" when its still an amazing game.

That's extremely debatable. There are also many problems with Grand Theft Auto IV for one to make an argument against it being of amazing quality.

The problem here isn't a difference in generations or technology. Rather, it is a similarity. People complain because they have different views on how the game should have been, they express it and others get mad. People begin throwing out words like "entitled" and "troll" and rather than actual discussion, they just throw these fits of rage until they tire or get bored and go back to doing something else.

Rather than accept the elasticity of opinions, as well focus on determining the thin line of objectivity, people quarrel over the silliest of things. This has happened during older console generations without a doubt, just on a smaller scale.

To relegate complainers into a generalized group and disregard what they say for shallow reasoning is much worse than actually complaining, and that is something that seems much more widespread these days than before, thanks to things such as the internet. :o
---
"AND LO! Mackenzie Nettles thusly approached!"- CeliaOfTheSky
#13Boogs34Posted 7/16/2013 3:17:10 AM
warior55 posted...
I might just be too young to make this judgment (I started gaming with N64/PS1 but didn't really keep up with gaming culture till PS2/Gamecube gen) but it seems to me like gamers are now more than ever angry at EVERY SINGLE change that is made in every series. My chief example of this is Halo: I played Halo CE and was instantly hooked, I bought Halo 2 on release day and loved it, same with every other Halo game. But halo 4 gets tons of s*** for no reason other than angry people nostalgia'ing over Halo 2. If you go back and play Halo 2 now, its not as fun as it was back in the day. There's nothing wrong with Halo 4, but god forbid its not a direct copy of Halo 2, therefore its bad. Grand Theft Auto is the same story: oh, GTA IV sucks because its not San Andreas, blah blah blah. Its ok to think San Andreas and Vice City were better, but don't go to the extreme to say that GTA IV "sucks" when its still an amazing game.

Even look at Pokemon: every b****es and moans about the new Mewtwo form. God forbid Nintendo gives you more content. This is just getting ridiculous, everyone hates everything new before even giving it a chance.

Fellow gamers, I'm gettin real tired of your s***...

You are wise beyond your years.
#14universaldavePosted 7/16/2013 3:31:09 AM
Any individual could have a tendency towards grouchiness. Before it was limited, though, by the lack of having a huge audience. You might complain and pout in your own home and among your friends but then it would dissipate.

The internet, especially with the newer social media outlets, amplifies everything. Even small complaints become huge when you get hundreds and thousands of people weighing-in within minutes. Everyone gets whipped up into a frenzy and everything gets blown out of proportion.

In years gone by you'd wind up living with problems in games (unless they were truly bad) because you wouldn't have everyone telling each other how justified they are to be *****ing about it. You'd probably just forget about it and actually go on to enjoy the game.
---
Gamefaqs: where men who can't get dates take every opportunity to tell everyone about their incredibly high standards when it comes to women.
#15davepescPosted 7/16/2013 3:33:46 AM
I think it's an internet thing. When we were kids, we played the heck out of all our games, even the bad ones.

We didn't even shout about which console was better. In fact, we'd buy different consoles so we could play every game over someone's house!
---
"**** you'll thats all you mofos know how to do iss pick on people cause there typeing **** this site" DarkAssAssIn051
#16MrMikeMaPosted 7/16/2013 3:50:15 AM
NO.

Because in MY day, we had to walk uphill, BOTH WAYS, in a raging blizzard, even in the SUMMER, to get video games, and we LOVED it.

It made us appreciate them more.
#17SunDevil77Posted 7/16/2013 3:52:22 AM
Sort of. They didn't use to be so damn nit-picky.
But lord, the Nintendo Vs Sega days were brutal.
---
Justice...is what I seek, Kemosabe.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#18WinternovaPosted 7/16/2013 4:08:11 AM
warior55 posted...
Question for older gamers: Have gamers always been as grouchy as they are today?

No, they haven't. That's one of the problems with the internet - it gives everyone a "voice" in the marketplace of ideas, whether or not they're worth listening to. There's no gatekeeper anymore and, as such, there's infinitely more noise you have to sift through to get to the worthwhile opinions and information. For the most part, the vast majority of people on the internet aren't intelligent enough to warrant listening to.

warior55 posted...
I might just be too young to make this judgment (I started gaming with N64/PS1 but didn't really keep up with gaming culture till PS2/Gamecube gen) but it seems to me like gamers are now more than ever angry at EVERY SINGLE change that is made in every series.

You're not too young. You're noticing what's annoying about the general public - they clamor for something new but when they get it they complain that it's not exactly the same as what they had before...and if you give them something that's close to what they had before, they complain that there's no innovation. You cannot please the masses, therefore it's best to just ignore their ignorant bleating.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#19Dragon NexusPosted 7/16/2013 4:22:01 AM
Dude, it's because you're on the internet.
Before you'd voice an opinion and *maybe* someone would disagree with you, but you were among friends generally so you got along regardless.

Now you're subjected to the world's opinion, and the person who disagrees is generally the person who speaks the loudest. People think it's gotten worse, but it's always been like this. You just weren't around to hear all of it all the time.

It's the same thing when people say the world's become more dangerous. It hasn't. We just have more money poured into news teams with better technology so we can report damn near anything that happens anywhere at any time.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#20ItchyTasty93Posted 7/16/2013 4:33:22 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
Sort of. They didn't use to be so damn nit-picky.
But lord, the Nintendo Vs Sega days were brutal.

LMAOOO! as if your that old & a gamer in those days