This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Largest open world game you've ever played

#31Dragon NexusPosted 7/19/2013 12:04:02 PM
joegt123 posted...
Xenoblade or gta sa.

Don't even know.

Dunno if I'd count Xenoblade as an open world game in that sense.
True it has some staggeringly large areas to walk around, but they're segmented by loading screens. I dunno if the TC cares about that, but when I think of open world I think of one single unbroken map like GTA or Just Cause 2.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#32ShidoPosted 7/19/2013 12:28:25 PM
Unpure_Euphoria posted...
I know I didn't specify, so I can't really blame you guys for saying Minecraft or Daggerfall... but I honestly kind of feel like those are cheat answers, because the worlds are randomly generated. I kind of meant hand-crafted open world games.

Not saying coding a randomly generating world is easy per se, but yeah...

Only the dungeons in Daggerfall and side quests were random. Everything else is static. I've beat Daggerfall at least 10 over the years. That's the randomness that I've found.
---
I have Medulloblastoma and no Cerebellum. Sorry if my post doesn't make any sense or I miss use words.
#33metroidman92Posted 7/19/2013 1:43:12 PM
Just Cause 2, or Farcry 3.
---
Xbox One: It's Good to Pay Together.
Politics... how tiresome.
#34vigorm0rtisPosted 7/19/2013 1:46:06 PM
Just in terms of land-mass Fuel, I guess. Or Daggerfall.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#35infinitexxPosted 7/19/2013 9:23:22 PM
tracazoid posted...
Minecraft, tried to find the end of my world once and gave up after 25 minutes of boat travel.

Well, since they removed the Far Lands in that patch you've just got an endless ocean at the edge of the world (not technically endless, but close enough).

I liked it more when the game couldn't render properly at extreme distances and you just got more and more lag until you crashed.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#36pothole567Posted 7/19/2013 9:55:23 PM
Fallout 3.
#37AikonMonkPosted 7/20/2013 7:55:29 AM
RockguyKev posted...
That list isn't close to accurate.

FFXI is easily larger than any of the games on that list that I've played and the only one I haven't is WoW. FFXI is freaking enormous.

Came here to say FFXI. You can get lost in the starting cities... Windhurst, I'm looking at you! I have never seen any game with a larger world. I know I haven't played all of 'em out there, but I'll still give it to FFXI.
---
GT: DEDLY CUKE
#38kaoscagePosted 7/20/2013 9:11:16 AM
Star Wars Galaxies
#39ZarethPosted 7/20/2013 10:14:52 AM
Just Cause 2.

Shido posted...
Only the dungeons in Daggerfall and side quests were random. Everything else is static. I've beat Daggerfall at least 10 over the years. That's the randomness that I've found.

The entire world was randomly generated using a computer, though. They didn't hand-place their assets. That would have taken decades to make.
---
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png
#40str8KnowledgePosted 7/20/2013 12:13:20 PM
wind waker