This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it a rip off to buy Games On Demand?

#1XLegendKillerXPosted 7/18/2013 8:30:56 PM
i have about 900MS Points and im bored with my games and i was thinking of buying a game from Games On Demand without the hassle of going out (i currently am on crutches) but i never buy games on demand so my question is is it worth it or is it a rip off i heard its more expensive
---
Xbox Live - nukkaniiick
#2glassghost0Posted 7/18/2013 8:38:23 PM
Depends on the game. If you're going to play the game a lot then yeah it's worth it.

Examples of good Games on Demand: CoD, Mortal Kombat, BF3, GTA, Skyrim, Saints Row, etc..

Bad Games on Demand: Single Player games that you most likely will beat then never play again.

I mean, I'll always prefer Physical over Digital but I do have several GoD games that I've gotten for free or on sale. And a large Arcade Library.

No matter the debate about physical vs. digital, or if it's a rip off, it's pretty nice having the ability to just launch some of your favorite games in a matter of seconds.
---
No Thanks
3DS FC: 3067-4989-8122
#3infinitexxPosted 7/18/2013 8:41:48 PM
Check the prices of physical copies before buying a GoD. In general they cost more unless the game is brand new, but sometimes they're close enough that it doesn't matter to you, or physical copies can be tough to track down.

Sales are the only other time they drop to prices that can beat physical copies, there's currently a Capcom sale on, check those.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#4BBBanks03Posted 7/18/2013 8:57:09 PM
glassghost0 posted...
Depends on the game. If you're going to play the game a lot then yeah it's worth it.

Examples of good Games on Demand: CoD, Mortal Kombat, BF3, GTA, Skyrim, Saints Row, etc..

Bad Games on Demand: Single Player games that you most likely will beat then never play again.

I feel like this response is also applicable to games in general. If the question had been for full price physical copy games rather than GoD would the answer have been any different?
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#5HandGodPosted 7/18/2013 9:15:13 PM
There's been times where GoD has beaten the price of a physical copy. Some examples off the top of my head -- before ToV got its reprint; when Dead Space and Mass Effect were price gouged due to the arrival of their third chapters; Hitman: Blood Money has always been cheaper sans buying the HD Collection; etc. It really comes down to smart shopping. If you are willing to pay a convenience tax on games that are a little more expensive than their physical counterparts, then that's your business. But unless you have something against digital distribution, then GoD is really just another alternative for you to look at, especially when you can't find a copy in physical form or if you just simply don't feel like shopping around and want everything in one place.
#6TBD2009Posted 7/18/2013 11:07:50 PM
Only if you're not using Bing Rewards to give yourself free MSP.

But seriously, GoD titles, as it's been stated in this thread, can be a great deal. Sales, or otherwise. I never thought I'd be buying GoD titles, because I'm not a big fan of not having the disc, and manual, but I've gotten quite a few games, for decent prices, and I'm glad I did.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/PSUTerra
#7TenzhiPosted 7/18/2013 11:17:57 PM
It's easy to check the price of a given game at, say, Gamestop's website if you want to see how the price of the game you want compares for the On Demand version versus the new and/or used version. But my philosophy is that any game I want to play is probably worth $10 (or 800 points) to own given that it's only a couple dollars more than a week's rental from Family Video. On the rare occasion that a Gamestop copy is lower than that, it may be worth the couple of bucks to me to not have to go out and get the physical copy.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#8chrcolPosted 7/18/2013 11:46:27 PM(edited)
ok here is food for thought.

I got vesperia on games on demand which I think is now 3 years or so ago pretty much when it was released. I paid 20 and at the time it was 2nd hand on ebay for approx 70-100 due to severe supply issues.

So i got the game and obviously dont rgeret it as excellent game.

A couple of weeks ago I started playing the PS3 version which can only be partially installed to hdd, so parts of thegame are forced to be read of the disc. The loading times are very noticebly different so the game feels less fluid to play.

Now apparently the disc version of vesperia on the 360 cant be installed to hdd at all, so I imagine the hard copy of vesperia is significantly slower at loading than the on demand version.

Also its worth pointing out the conveniance of not having to insert a dvd a to play a game is quite nice.

So on demand is ok in my view, with the only real downside been of the risk of if they decide to pull the content one day so not available for redownload. I do now have a hard copy for the 360 as backup and of course my ps3 copy.

The downsides of on demand is they never the versions that include DLC, so never ultimate editions etc. I brought dragon age on demand, and was about to buy the DLc for it, then I seen the DLC costs over 60 which was crazy, The dvd version of the ultimate edition with all DLc was under 15 brand new so in that case I brought that. (even tho I already paid for on demand).
#9Super CreaturesPosted 7/18/2013 11:49:53 PM
chrcol posted...
The downsides of on demand is they never the versions that include DLC, so never ultimate editions etc.

Midnight Club: L.A. on GoD is.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#10OverburdenedPosted 7/19/2013 12:00:37 AM
I was going to buy Borderlands 2 but missed the sale, now it's 49.99 on GoD, and in my local supermarket it's 15new, that just one example though, I'm sure there are a lot of games cheaper to download over buying a physical copy.
---
Obliteration never felt so divine._
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.