This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it a rip off to buy Games On Demand?

#11grimmdaddyPosted 7/19/2013 3:48:37 AM
I'd say so, unless you're using bing
#12Deathx113Posted 7/19/2013 4:29:30 AM
Yes and no.

GoD games are more expensive and you can almost always find them cheaper, but they do carry some out of print games.

However, you get 2 copies of the game for the price of 1. My buddy and I buy GoD games occasionally (switching off who buys it) so we can get 2 games for the price of 1.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#13FiyunPosted 7/19/2013 4:51:32 AM
chrcol posted...

Now apparently the disc version of vesperia on the 360 cant be installed to hdd at all, so I imagine the hard copy of vesperia is significantly slower at loading than the on demand version.

My PAL-copy must be special then, since I can install it.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/trashknight
#14chrcolPosted 7/20/2013 3:12:40 PM
Fiyun posted...
chrcol posted...

Now apparently the disc version of vesperia on the 360 cant be installed to hdd at all, so I imagine the hard copy of vesperia is significantly slower at loading than the on demand version.

My PAL-copy must be special then, since I can install it.

thats why I said apparently as i hadnt confirmed it myself, thanks for clarifying. I do own the 360 disc version now but its still shrink wrapped, it only exists in my collection incase the digital version stops working and as a nostalgia thing to own the hard copy.
#15ChrisHanson24Posted 7/20/2013 3:34:27 PM(edited)
it's a rip off, they don't have to pay the retailer, and don't have to manufacture a disc, manual or case, but instead of lowering the price, the money you pay for it goes right into the ceo's pocket.
#16ChrisHanson24Posted 7/20/2013 3:33:56 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#17KINGWARPosted 7/20/2013 4:31:08 PM
Microsoft won't lower the prices of Games on Demand because they're mad it will piss off retailers, so they overcharge for something that should be a lot cheaper. The prices are especially ridiculous for older games.

That being said, sometimes the sales for Games on Demand can be great, like when I picked up Borderlands 2 for $10 a few weeks ago.
---
Oh God how did this get here I am not good with computer
#18TheRobPosted 7/20/2013 5:24:23 PM
I personally won't buy any Games of Demand unless they're on sale for the price of an XBLA game (i.e. $5, $10, $15) or less.
---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#19CrimsonCorpPosted 7/20/2013 6:35:44 PM
Day 1 of that sale a few weeks ago had Max Payne 3, Far cry 3, and Borderlands 2 were all $10 bucks. GoD can sometimes be amazing. It's rare, but the opportunities are there.
---
"In the grim darkness of the far future... there is only awesome"
#20JanayBerryPosted 7/20/2013 7:19:48 PM
Depends!

I like, say, "Batman: Arkham City". It was $29.99 when I got it on Demand. The disc was $19.99-$24.99.

I even bought the DLC, so it did not feel like a rip-off.

Buying, say, "Lost Planet 2" for $4.99 because of the current sale isn't a rip-off (although I paid $19.99 a while back).

"Two Worlds" felt like a rip-off because it's crappy.
---
PSN ID: Jim_Berry, Xbox 360: KKA OMEGA Jim
Anticipating arrival of "Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn" 8/27/13. {Excitement!} {Can I have it!?}