This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

World War 2 games

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. World War 2 games
2 years ago#21
AApt24 posted...
Again, there is nothing fun about the Nazis. You might like the WW2 setting, and thats fine as it does have plenty to offer in terms of setting and scope. That said, I don't think its right nor fair to the people who were actually at World War 2 to have a game based on their experiences because the war itself was not something to laugh at or get enjoyment out of. The Nazis aren't some end of the boss level boss that you rescue a princess from inside of a castle. They are the most brutal and sadistic society of mass murderers the world has ever known. We play video games for enjoyment, for satire, and and for pleasure. In every other platform of media that portrays World War II, you are left with this sad, empty, and angry feeling in the pit of your stomach. From Saving Private Ryan, to Schindler's List, to War and Remembrance, to the Diary of Anne Frank, all of these stories capture the essence of the war much better than anything found on a video game. How people can find enjoyment out of anything associated with the Nazis, I have absolutely no idea.

Hell Assassins Creed (the first one) at least managed to reflect some brutality of what took place in the Crusades, Every WW2 game Ive ever seen has just taken the war and turned into an interactive Michael Bay movie with explosions and "epic" gun battles galore. Every time I see a WW2 game, I just can't help but wonder if some 70-90 year old walks in on his or her grandchild or great child, and that child is shooting Nazis on a television and having a ball, and then that grandparent just starts breaking down because hey lo and behold he or she was there. You can agree or disagree with that, not really my concern. I just feel as though the Nazis should be left out of video games all together.

If you want to leave out Nazis, you might as well leave Koreans,Arabs, Russians,Japanese etc in any video game and hell any book or movie as well. This is ridiculous.
2 years ago#22
Hour of Victory!
Game is terri-bad, but it is WW2.
The Outfit was an ok hybrid blend of RTS and 3ps, decent launch title.
Turning Point Fall of Liberty, not quite WW2, more of an alternate history game. (also, it is pretty mediocre...)
Stuart Black had a game in the works called 'Enemy Front' which looked to be a decent WW2 game, but it looks like it went off the grid...
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
2 years ago#23
AApt24 posted...
Hell Assassins Creed (the first one) at least managed to reflect some brutality of what took place in the Crusades, Every WW2 game Ive ever seen has just taken the war and turned into an interactive Michael Bay movie with explosions and "epic" gun battles galore. Every time I see a WW2 game, I just can't help but wonder if some 70-90 year old walks in on his or her grandchild or great child, and that child is shooting Nazis on a television and having a ball, and then that grandparent just starts breaking down because hey lo and behold he or she was there. You can agree or disagree with that, not really my concern. I just feel as though the Nazis should be left out of video games all together.

Hehe. That reminds me of my grandpa, he died back in '09 but he was in the 82nd and did the jump on Normandy as well as one in Italy (I think Salerno).

He watched me play the original Call of Duty and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault when I was 13-14 or so and cheered stuff like "get those bastards!".

As for me, I'm a Marine (combat) veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan. I would actually love to see a game that takes place in either of those wars, not that we saw nearly as much crazy **** as the guys back in WWII, but still...

You bemoan the seeming fact that games trivialize the atrocity of war. I should remind you that this is nothing new and has been going on since time immemorial. Does Homer's Iliad really give you any idea of how horrific the Trojan War was, and how fathers, son, brothers, etc were brutally slain?
If anything, this generation has been given a far more accurate window into the realities of war. Don't believe me? Watch the 1949 John Wayne film 'Sands of Iwo Jima', then watch the two Clint Eastwood films 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'.

Your point is well taken, though. War games are inherently incapable of showing how horrible war is. But I do truly believe that historical games have spurred interest in history amongst the younger generations. I'm not sure that I believe anyone above the age of 13 or so would ever believe that war is 'fun', despite games based on them being fun.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
2 years ago#24
The vast majority of German soldiers were not Nazis.

The German armed forces mainly consisted of the Wehrmacht which was made up of three branches very similar to the US military; Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe and Heer.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
2 years ago#25
SixStringHero posted...
The vast majority of German soldiers were not Nazis.

The German armed forces mainly consisted of the Wehrmacht which was made up of three branches very similar to the US military; Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe and Heer.

Yeah, this often gets forgotten too. Chalk it up to the human tendency towards dehumanization. It's more or less akin to referring to soldiers fighting for the CSA as slave owners. Very few owned slaves, and the vast majority of soldiers - both North and South - were very racist by today's standards.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. World War 2 games

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived