This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

anyone know Microsoft's policies on fixing 360s?

#1Leonman01Posted 7/22/2013 6:30:20 AM
so my 360 is nearing the end of it's life. it only works with games that are in really good condition and even then it can be a fight to get it to start reading the disk. (once the game loads up for the first time tho, usually it tends to work okay and not freeze) just curious if it's worth trying to open my 360 and clean it? also Ive gotten my 360 fixed by microsoft once for free. anyone know if they would fix it again for free. if not how much do they usually charge?
---
what should my new sig be?
#2LapanuiPosted 7/22/2013 6:44:00 AM
I've never had any problems with my 360 so I don't how it all works exactly.

Here is an FAQ on the warranty and such:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/repair/warranty-faq

You can check to see if your console is still under warranty. If it isn't, I don't think you can get it repaired for free. For an original 360, it will cost $100 if you set up the repair request yourself or $120 if you get Xbox Support to do it by phone.

If you have an S or E console, the first slim and the new slim, it will cost $80 to set it up yourself and $100 for them to set it up.

If you decide to open it up, clean it and it still doesn't work. They will send it back unrepaired due to tampering. Your console will become banned if you do this.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#3SheepinatorPosted 7/22/2013 6:48:56 AM
TC, you might want to try and find somewhere local that does repairs, it'll probably be cheaper and faster than sending to MS. I found a local place when my PS3 Blu-Ray died that a friend of a friend recommended and they were fantastic, they had it fixed over lunch and for a very reasonable fee.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#4Leonman01(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2013 6:50:02 AM
ya, for some reason tho the first time I sent it in, my console was out of warranty and I had opened it prior to sending it in, and for some reason they still fixed it and for free. not sure y. I sent my console in after having it for a little over a year, and im pretty sure the warranty is 1 yr
---
#5Leonman01(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2013 6:53:10 AM
how would I search up these local places that do repairs?
---
#6LapanuiPosted 7/22/2013 6:53:49 AM
You could of just been lucky. Some people just want to do the job instead of spending extra time messing about because you opened the console. Either that or they didn't know it had been opened already.

It's probably all down to the person who receives the console. One person could be really strict and say you have to pay even though your warranty ended the day before he received it, another might just let that go and fix it.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#7SheepinatorPosted 7/22/2013 7:05:13 AM
Leonman01 posted...
ya, for some reason tho the first time I sent it in, my console was out of warranty and I had opened it prior to sending it in, and for some reason they still fixed it and for free. not sure y. I sent my console in after having it for a little over a year, and im pretty sure the warranty is 1 yr

Is it possible you had RROD and it was part of the new 3-year warranty program they announced back in the day for all consoles?

To find a local place, ask friends first, and I guess just do Google "360 repair MYCITY", see what you get. Then check those places on yelp etc. for reviews.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.