This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is why I can't take Dark Souls seriously as a game

#141killaSeason007Posted 7/24/2013 5:33:59 AM
This game is all about patience. If you have none, you will hate this game. This is the kind of game where u need to take breaks. Small ones few hours here there a day here or there. Sometimes u jus need to get a way from the game to really enjoy it.

Playing it non stop is not an option for me. You will rage out and kill yoself! Lol if you have patience you will see the greatness of this game and love it.
---
gamertag: Bigmarv15
#142killaSeason007Posted 7/24/2013 5:42:08 AM
Banana_Mana posted...
Deathx113 posted...
I always laugh when people claim Dark Souls is clunky or has awkward movement.

No, you just suck at controlling games. That isn't clunky movement it is realistic. You also have more 'speed' if you wear lighter armor.

Not that Dark Souls is perfect but it hits the nail on the head for realistic movement.

Nobody can roll like that.

:D

Anyway, why is realistic movement good? I can move realistically anytime I want... I'm moving realistically RIGHT NOW.

Caps for Stiggie.

Realistic movement is good because not everyone want to be a superhuman in a video game. For example sports games unless your playing blitz you want them to move realistically! See? Lol.
---
gamertag: Bigmarv15
#143KCGeminiPosted 7/24/2013 6:17:09 AM(edited)
BlackWizardMagus posted...
I always love these topics. I never played the game, so I have no opinion, but what I love is when the fans can't seem to agree on anything except that non-fans suck. One fan says the game is clunky but that's the point and you have to master it, the next one says it is not slow or clunky at all. One fan says you need to grind, the next guy says that's BS. One fan says it really is difficult and should be celebrated as such, the next one says it isn't really difficult unless you are just terrible. One fan says it's about memorization and care, one says it's about skill and reflex.

So, all you fans, this might be why you get these topics you hate. And bashing everyone who doesn't like it because they "suck" when you can't even define "sucking at Dark Souls" consistently isn't really doing anything.

It's more because of how much one can do in the game as a whole; which leads to more overall opinions on it.

I actually see that as a good thing as most games these days would rather let you chase a carrot or hold your hand overall which severely limits not only what you can do but what you can talk about in said games.

That being said, if a game like NetHack was every modernized, (which would take millions if not billions to make an AAA game so very unlikely) there would probably be books of arguments of things people would like/dislike. Of course, that game has more options in doing just...anything than pretty much every AAA game that exists today.

* As seen, the controls being 'clunky' is entirely at the discretion of the user that is playing.

* Grinding isn't necessary as it is more than entirely possible to beat the game at level 1. I've done it myself; but even I'll admit it takes more patience and dedication than the average user has.

* The difficulty also fits in the same category as the controls. I actually feel like this is how challenging a normal game should be; whereas someone else may find this game unforgiving to say the least. A game that's challenging also gives it longevity as long as one is up for it.

* The memorization/care/skill/reflex fit all together within themselves. Knowing at least 1 of the 4 will bring the difficulty down, but knowing all four? You're probably doing speed/specialized challenge runs by now.

* Lastly, people bashing people for games they like may as well be the GameFAQs anthem. That's definitely not just Dark Souls no matter how much one would want you to believe. Also, there are people who just plain out play Dark Souls badly and hate it just because they don't want to conform to the controls. (For an amazing example of this, look at DarkSydePhil's playthrough on YouTube. I will warn you, however, that it's godawful.) It's not everyone, but with the way the Internet is (as well as GameFAQs in general) makes it hard to get in a somewhat serious argument.
---
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense...
#144Carribean_CoolPosted 7/24/2013 2:26:52 PM
Uru_Zeph posted...
Carribean_Cool posted...
Walkman_005 posted...
all_that_juice posted...
What so you're calling me a girl now? So the Witcher 2 is a girly game, and Dark Souls is a manly game? I dunno about that. Witcher 2 seems like a pretty manly game too. It also isn't really considered a super-easy game either. I've been on the Witcher 2 boards and I've seen plenty of posters saying they gave up because of the difficulty, but the difficulty is fine for me. SO maybe I'm not girly. Maybe it's just DS wasn't for me and the Witcher 2 is huh?

You're a girl because you were too scared to even TRY the damn game from fear of the difficulty.

Putting down the opposite sex. What are you, 7 years old? What do you have against girls? You prefer men, big boy?

Go read a sixteen (through twenty-two, sometimes older) year old girl's post about boys after breaking up with one, and all the posts that follow it, and tell me there's not a double standard here.

Break ups are totally different compared to this; flat out putting down the female sex, saying you're are one when you are called a wuss and less capable, just like any elementary school boy would.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#145Uru_ZephPosted 7/24/2013 8:08:03 PM
Carribean_Cool posted...
Uru_Zeph posted...
Carribean_Cool posted...
Walkman_005 posted...
all_that_juice posted...
What so you're calling me a girl now? So the Witcher 2 is a girly game, and Dark Souls is a manly game? I dunno about that. Witcher 2 seems like a pretty manly game too. It also isn't really considered a super-easy game either. I've been on the Witcher 2 boards and I've seen plenty of posters saying they gave up because of the difficulty, but the difficulty is fine for me. SO maybe I'm not girly. Maybe it's just DS wasn't for me and the Witcher 2 is huh?

You're a girl because you were too scared to even TRY the damn game from fear of the difficulty.

Putting down the opposite sex. What are you, 7 years old? What do you have against girls? You prefer men, big boy?

Go read a sixteen (through twenty-two, sometimes older) year old girl's post about boys after breaking up with one, and all the posts that follow it, and tell me there's not a double standard here.

Break ups are totally different compared to this; flat out putting down the female sex, saying you're are one when you are called a wuss and less capable, just like any elementary school boy would.

Mmm, no they're not. Putting down an entire gender just because an ex-bf didn't work out is no better than putting down an entire gender any other time. Also note that no guy would ever get away with such a hateful, slanderous post about girls after a breakup. It's a double standard through-and-through, and if your next thought is going to be that guys should "suck it up," then you make yourself a hypocrite.
#146Deathx113Posted 7/25/2013 4:29:23 AM
Banana_Mana posted...
Deathx113 posted...
I always laugh when people claim Dark Souls is clunky or has awkward movement.

No, you just suck at controlling games. That isn't clunky movement it is realistic. You also have more 'speed' if you wear lighter armor.

Not that Dark Souls is perfect but it hits the nail on the head for realistic movement.

Nobody can roll like that.

:D

Anyway, why is realistic movement good? I can move realistically anytime I want... I'm moving realistically RIGHT NOW.

Caps for Stiggie.

Idk that big ol' MMA dude had a nice roll, and he was pretty big, I can only imagine what professional... rollers? can do. lol

If dark souls had movement like, say, DMC the game would become ridiculously easy, imo it isn't clunky movement, it is the movement someone would have if they were wearing tons of armor.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#147DarkSymbiotePosted 7/25/2013 4:47:47 AM
IWU posted...
Walkman_005 posted...
all_that_juice posted...
Bought it on black Friday for cheap, but never opened it. Ended up selling it a few days ago. The extreme difficulty had me anxious but once I heard about the griefing that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I knew the game wouldn't be for me.

edit: Used the money to buy the Witcher instead and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Where do you buy your bra and panties from?

Apparently from the same store you buy your douche bags from...

Good one.

*pokes you with elbow*
---
My The Last of Us Review:
gamefaqs.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/reviews/review-154646
#148DarkSymbiotePosted 7/25/2013 4:55:56 AM
It's interesting to note that while some are calling ValedictorianXD's comment stupid, he's probably the only developer in this entire topic.
---
My The Last of Us Review:
gamefaqs.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/reviews/review-154646
#149KCGeminiPosted 7/25/2013 5:58:10 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
It's interesting to note that while some are calling ValedictorianXD's comment stupid, he's probably the only developer in this entire topic.

The problem with his post is that he assumes that From is only making this game to make as much money as possible. In their case, that's not their primary goal.

You may have not played their old series games such as King's Field series, but I have. Their games are generally much different from the norm, and even though the controls are far better now than of those games, they still have the same feeling overall. I'm glad they would rather stick to their guns and experiment than go to the traditional "do whatever it takes to make money even if it means oversimplifying the game" route.

Then again CoD is popular and money talks. I certainly hope that this doesn't become the case for these games.
---
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense...
#150WinternovaPosted 7/25/2013 10:31:48 AM
KCGemini posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...

The problem with his post is that he assumes that From is only making this game to make as much money as possible. In their case, that's not their primary goal.

You may have not played their old series games such as King's Field series, but I have. Their games are generally much different from the norm, and even though the controls are far better now than of those games, they still have the same feeling overall. I'm glad they would rather stick to their guns and experiment than go to the traditional "do whatever it takes to make money even if it means oversimplifying the game" route.

Then again CoD is popular and money talks. I certainly hope that this doesn't become the case for these games.

Yeah, science forbid they improve the game and allow more people to enjoy it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)