This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The latest Microsoft Marketplace 'sale' is selling games for more than Gamestop

#31SheepinatorPosted 7/23/2013 6:49:25 AM
X8xJokesterx7X posted...
Sheepinator posted...
I think they're treading a thin line. They need retailers like GameStop to sell low margin consoles, so they tend to sell digital games at MSRP, which retailers under-cut. They don't have the advantage Steam has of not needing to worry about how to sell hardware.

Well Sony comes up with some alright to good deals, why can't MS? In no way am I an"$ony pony" or whatever this board dubs opinionated posters, I own more 360 games than I even played on my ps3, but last weeks deal and this weeks deal is a joke. I agree that not all deals MS do are terrible, some are actually pretty good, but $5 off I really wouldn't consider a deal. It's more of ur not paying for the tax end of the purchase

What kind of deals has PSN had, other than through their PSN+ I mean? (Not arguing the point, I'm just curious, I often see their PSN+ deals but not their weekly or special sales).
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#32dannyaqPosted 7/23/2013 6:50:14 AM
harvest master posted...
ChrisHanson24 posted...
used games don't count

the majority are too old to be found new, and even with used games you're still getting more than what you get from a digital download. of course it counts.

That's why the prices are higher, like you said they are so old they can be hard to find.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
#33X8xJokesterx7XPosted 7/23/2013 6:58:25 AM
Sheepinator posted...
X8xJokesterx7X posted...
Sheepinator posted...
I think they're treading a thin line. They need retailers like GameStop to sell low margin consoles, so they tend to sell digital games at MSRP, which retailers under-cut. They don't have the advantage Steam has of not needing to worry about how to sell hardware.

Well Sony comes up with some alright to good deals, why can't MS? In no way am I an"$ony pony" or whatever this board dubs opinionated posters, I own more 360 games than I even played on my ps3, but last weeks deal and this weeks deal is a joke. I agree that not all deals MS do are terrible, some are actually pretty good, but $5 off I really wouldn't consider a deal. It's more of ur not paying for the tax end of the purchase

What kind of deals has PSN had, other than through their PSN+ I mean? (Not arguing the point, I'm just curious, I often see their PSN+ deals but not their weekly or special sales).

Your right now that I think about it, most of the good deals were for ps+, but why doesn't MS do that for us gold members? Both companies recently had ultimate game sales, both equally good, I just think Sony does better deals on newer games. For there ultimate deal they had far cry 3, MGR, AC 3 etc.
---
PSNDaJokester87 XBLX8xJokesterx7X
#34SheepinatorPosted 7/23/2013 7:05:18 AM
X8xJokesterx7X posted...
Sheepinator posted...

Your right now that I think about it, most of the good deals were for ps+, but why doesn't MS do that for us gold members? Both companies recently had ultimate game sales, both equally good, I just think Sony does better deals on newer games. For there ultimate deal they had far cry 3, MGR, AC 3 etc.

Live had good prices on Hitman Absolution and others. I was disappointed in Bioshock Inf being $40 though, and a friend would have got Judgment if it was cheaper. Anyway, PSN+ has the better deals because they are a distant second place in the lucrative online subs market. It's Business 101 to try and offer more value to get people to switch. If people did switch we'd probably see Sony doing fewer deals and MS doing better deals.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#35X8xJokesterx7XPosted 7/23/2013 7:16:02 AM
Sheepinator posted...
X8xJokesterx7X posted...
Sheepinator posted...

Live had good prices on Hitman Absolution and others. I was disappointed in Bioshock Inf being $40 though, and a friend would have got Judgment if it was cheaper. Anyway, PSN+ has the better deals because they are a distant second place in the lucrative online subs market. It's Business 101 to try and offer more value to get people to switch. If people did switch we'd probably see Sony doing fewer deals and MS doing better deals.

Yeah good point....I would just think MS would be trying harder after the backlash from the community regarding the Xbone. Than again that's a whole different generation and the 360 clearly is doing better for the current gen.
---
#36BooyangPosted 7/23/2013 8:30:06 AM
This is exactly why I didn't trust Microsoft and their DRM for the Xbox1.. I know these sales are not 100% up to Microsoft, and the publisher plays a part, but this "sale" is a perfect example of what a lot of people complained about.

These games are old, and at the time pretty much oversaturated the market.. You really don't have to cherry pick certain stores, or websites to find better deals than what was offered up here..Yes you can argue convenience, or not having a used game sully your shelf, but I think a good portion of gamers have a valid question, asking why these aren't the regular price at this point.

I speak with my wallet.. I check major nelsons upcoming list of deals weekly, if the price isn't tempting, I pass on it...Thankfully I have other options to get games cheaper, and that is the main reason Im against digital distribution...

Going into the next generation of gaming, you'd think Microsoft would be trying to show us some acts of good faith after what happened at E3, but instead they continue to be the company that many of us have lost any trust in.
---
360 gamercard = http://live.xbox.com/member/Booyang76
Xbox Live Ambassador (Canada)
#37Robot_SoopaPosted 7/23/2013 8:38:17 AM
And this is why everyone hated the Xbox One before it even came out.

Because we know that Microsoft won't make their games affordable at competitive prices even when they have the means to do so.

It works with Steam because they're in a competitive market with great prices.

Microsoft doesn't want to compete they just want to price gouge.

This is why digital gaming is a joke on anything but PC.
---
FC: 1590 - 5604 - 5229
#38infinitexxPosted 7/23/2013 8:38:53 AM
Breaking News:
The monopoly on console DD games doesn't produce competitive prices.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#39X8xJokesterx7XPosted 7/23/2013 9:12:07 AM
infinitexx posted...
Breaking News:

What monopoly on console DD? The last time I checked a monopoly was when a single company or entity is the sole supplier of certain goods. MS is not the only console that does DD, ps3 does too, possibly even the wii u but I'm not to sure on that one cause I don't have one nor have I even played it.
---
#40AsucaHayashiPosted 7/23/2013 9:40:01 AM
X8xJokesterx7X posted...
infinitexx posted...
Breaking News:

What monopoly on console DD? The last time I checked a monopoly was when a single company or entity is the sole supplier of certain goods. MS is not the only console that does DD, ps3 does too, possibly even the wii u but I'm not to sure on that one cause I don't have one nor have I even played it.

and sony is the sole supplier of goods to the ps3 just as MS is the sole supplier of goods to the 360 which is why they can charge what they want on them since nobody can challenge them on prices... also, switching services between both means a heavy price of entry only to be met with the exact same conditions.

this is in stark contrast to the freedom of DD on PC where a competitor's service offering the same goods(with various benefits at their own discretion in order to entice consumers) is a single click away with no price of entry whatsoever.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/