This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why do you think games rarely have cheats for them anymore

#11Fierce_Deity_08Posted 7/23/2013 5:07:46 AM
Ah yeah! I loved no gravity on Smuggler's Run PS2. I would crash into vehicles on cruise mode just to see them spin off into the sky. (Heck, I still do that!)
---
With a roar of thunder and crash of lightning, I am Fierce Deity!
Hyrule Dream Address: 5900-2177-3530/ GT: OnikaraStar
#12HaganPosted 7/23/2013 5:44:24 AM
good times with goldeneye and perfect dark, that's for sure.

Honestly, I had the most fun trying to unlock them.
---
XBL GT= illidan z
http://www.youtube.com/user/illidanz
#13SoincMetalPosted 7/23/2013 5:46:01 AM
GTA 4 does have cheats
---
SonicMetal? See the error in my name! I Skate DGK All Day. Brawl FC:4511-0201-6892
#14Claire_FarronPosted 7/23/2013 6:14:28 AM
SoincMetal posted...
GTA 4 does have cheats

Red dead had cheats too but it disabled achievements...
---
Gaming, Anime, Dubstep
#15simonbelmont2Posted 7/23/2013 6:21:39 AM
TBD2009 posted...
Part of it is due to achievements and trophies, but another aspect, is the prevalence of "online mode" and "multiplayer" modes.

Though, there are a few (older) Xbox 360 games that still include cheat codes (there was a thread on Xbox360achievements.org that showed the games that allow cheats, and don't disable achievements), but I've not played any of them.

I'd like it if, even excluding cheat codes, there were more "New Game+" mode games on the market, allowing players to carry over the gear they unlocked during their first play through, and then have instant access to it in NG+, regardless of whether you have the correct stats for using it.

Not only would it give people more reason to replay the game (because who wouldn't want to rock end-game gear, at the start!), but maybe if you have a series of "New Game" modes (+, ++, +++, etc), where you can also ramp up difficulty, while maintaining your equipment from previous saves, it could add some fun and challenge to the game.

I think Dark Souls might be one of the only "current generation" games, I can think of, that has a system even remotely like that. I haven't played it, so I don't know how the DS "New Game+" modes work... but it's the closest thing I have to compare what I'd love to see, with what's currently available.

I agree mate, a new game plus mode is always a bonus and it adds replayability. It also solves the problem that occurs in a lot of games where you unlock some of the best weapons or items in the game right before the final boss. So you get about five minutes to use the weapons and that's it, it's a waste.

Also the Dark Souls system where the enemies get tougher in every new game plus is excellent and more games should use it.

As another poster mentioned some games still have cheats but a lot of the cheat code stuff (new weapons and armor etc) is now sold to us as DLC.
---
and when he crossed the bridge the phantoms came to meet him
#16MR_SorenPosted 7/23/2013 6:21:50 AM
Most cheats are DLC now. Most games don't need cheats because they are very easy.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com
#17simonbelmont2Posted 7/23/2013 6:22:32 AM
Claire_Farron posted...
SoincMetal posted...
GTA 4 does have cheats

Red dead had cheats too but it disabled achievements...

it did indeed but at least you could still manual save the game thankfully. Some games turn of saving when you use cheats.
---
#18simonbelmont2Posted 7/23/2013 6:24:03 AM
MR_Soren posted...
Most cheats are DLC now. Most games don't need cheats because they are very easy.

Yeah, some modern games are much easier but some of the old cheats gave us new weapons, armor etc. A game doesn't need that stuff but it adds value for the player without us having to pay extra for it as DLC.
---
#19grimmdaddyPosted 7/23/2013 7:59:38 AM
Once they figured out that people would pay to unlock those things instead of playing the games to get them it was all over
#20simonbelmont2Posted 7/23/2013 8:00:05 AM
grimmdaddy posted...
Once they figured out that people would pay to unlock those things instead of playing the games to get them it was all over

True.
---