This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you buy a Guitar Hero style indie game?

#1crynryanPosted 7/23/2013 5:24:46 AM
Just gauging interest in a possible game I could make. A while ago I made a couple topics about a Guitar Hero style RPG (aptly named GuitaRPG), but that didn't amount to much of anything (it wasn't that fun to play, and the limits Microsoft puts on XNA games would've been very limiting).

So now (about a year later), I have a mostly working game engine (pretty much the same one as before, just with some pretty good improvements) and was wondering if people would buy it if I were to release it.

XNA game file size limits are 500MB, which would allow for ~20 songs (I have to use WAV format for the audio, as you don't have much control over playing MP3s)
There would be online multiplayer, like competitive and co-op
No vocals (XNA can't get input from a microphone on the Xbox)
Probably no drums (unless that's something everybody really wants)
The game would be either $3 or $5, since Microsoft forces games above 150MB to be more than a dollar and games can't be $2
I could release multiple "games" which could have more songs in them (think expansion packs or DLC packs). The only problem with this is that if you are using Pack 1, you can't play with someone who is using Pack 2. This is because multiplayer in XNA games are limited to the same game (which is true for pretty much every other game as well, retail or indie), and because Pack 1 will have different songs than Pack 2.

Thoughts? Opinions?
---
This feels warm. What is this feeling? Is it of warmth?
#2HMXTaylor_LeePosted 7/23/2013 6:18:19 AM
I would be all up for it!

If the music is good (subjective, of course) and the tracks are fun to play (also subjective, the masochists who only play rampaging death metal might find the less ridiculous tracks "boring")!

I fully support this initiative. I have a guitar controller that could use some fresh new material.
#3crynryan(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 6:44:46 AM
HMXTaylor_Lee posted...
If the music is good (subjective, of course) and the tracks are fun to play (also subjective, the masochists who only play rampaging death metal might find the less ridiculous tracks "boring")!

Not quite sure where I'll be getting music from, but I know there's quite a few indie sites where you can pay a small, one time fee to license their songs. I'll probably have polls and stuff where people can vote for the songs they want in each pack. Although if I had money to just throw away, I could try licensing some songs from actual labels.

I'll also possibly let people chart the songs as well, since I know there's probably some people that want to try that out (it would also make the charts feel different, as more than one person will be doing them).
---
#4beautifuldreamsPosted 7/23/2013 6:46:58 AM
do they even make those guitar peripherals any more?
can't say i know more than one person who still has a functional one
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#5pothocketPosted 7/23/2013 6:48:01 AM
So....is it still an RPG or was that your last game? What does the RPGness add the the standard rhythm based game mechanics?
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#6crynryan(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 6:55:24 AM
beautifuldreams posted...
do they even make those guitar peripherals any more?
can't say i know more than one person who still has a functional one

I'm sure they do, just only the newest ones that were released (the RB3/GHWoR guitars). There's still quite a few people who still play Rock Band (Guitar Hero never really had that many people playing), so there's those people that still have working instruments.

pothocket posted...
So....is it still an RPG or was that your last game? What does the RPGness add the the standard rhythm based game mechanics?

GRPG never really got anywhere, mainly due to my inability to do things in 3D. I also never really found a good balance between some of the mechanics.

As for this game, I might roll some of the features from GRPG into it, like guitars that have special abilities and abilities that activate when everybody hits every note in a section (like the unison bonuses from RB).
---
#7crynryan(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 11:27:58 AM
Bump for the non-early morning people.
---
#8Yorkshire_14Posted 7/23/2013 2:55:44 PM
But I already have Rock Band 3 & Blitz with over 1000 songs! You need to add a story mode with dialogue choices and leveling up with perks or something to make it unique.
---
Currently Playing: Alpha Protocol
Playing Next: Mass Effect 3 (with DLC)
#9CaIiber345Posted 7/23/2013 3:08:30 PM
I still have several working guitar controllers from the GH series. I own most of the GH games released on 360, as well as all three Rock Band games and over 700 songs.

I'd absolutely try it. I'm discovering more indie games lately, whereas before I basically ignored them completely.

My questions are:

1. How much would those DLC packs cost us?
2. Any chance you'd get a few Led Zeppelin songs?

Oh, and the name "GuitaRPG" is awesome. :D
---
The Price is Right, Don Mattrick, and a nuclear submarine all walk into a bar...
Is it GTA V yet? Wake me up when it's GTA V.
#10Yorkshire_14Posted 7/23/2013 3:17:20 PM(edited)
No there will definitely not be any Led Zeppelin unless TC is a billionaire. If we're lucky there will be artists such as Rose of Jericho, I Am Cassettes and other obscure indie bands I can't think of right now.
---
Currently Playing: Alpha Protocol
Playing Next: Mass Effect 3 (with DLC)