This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a reason Xbox charges $10 more than PSN for the same games?

#1Mr_BurgenerPosted 7/23/2013 8:36:08 PM
Just to be clear, my 360 and PS3 sit right next to each other on my gaming stand. That being said, I logged in earlier to check the PSN deals (and was disappointed, I already had most of the ones on sale or was not even remotely interested in the others). Usually, I can count on PSN having some pretty decent deals going on that I'm interested in.

Just signed on to my 360 to play Prototype 2, and decided to check the Xbox store, even though I think in the years of owning it I've seen one sale actually worthwhile. However, I noticed that they were having a big "Tom Clancy" sale. I thought weird, they had the same sale on PSN.

Then I looked at the prices. They are literally running concurrent sales on the exact same games, but Xbox is asking $19.99 and PSN is asking $9.99. To be fair, I have no intention of buying any of them (tom clancy games are not my thing), but wtf?

All I can say is, thank god the Xbox One decided not to go all digital or I would never buy it.
#2TheBlueStigPosted 7/23/2013 8:39:11 PM
Didn't you already make this topic 3 or 4 days ago?
---
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.
#3josh924Posted 7/23/2013 8:57:24 PM(edited)
I don't know about the other games, but I'm pretty sure I saw Splinter Cell: Conviction for $9.99 last year and I'm pretty sure that was the regular price.

Edit: Its worth noting that $9.99 was the price for a new copy of Splinter Cell: Conviction, at least when I saw it last year.
---
I like how the GameFAQs spellcheck shows that the word "Wii" is fine, but the words "Xbox" and "Kinect" show up as typos.
#4lostnumberwarPosted 7/23/2013 8:53:07 PM
PSN has never sold Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe for 4.99 Their best sale for that game was 9.99.
Borderlands 2 had a one day sale on Xbox Live for 9.99 the best sale price on PSN was 19.99.
We also got sales on Mass Effect, Bulletstorm, Dragon Age Origins and Crysis for 4.99.
There were also several 2.99 titles.
Xbox gets just as many deals that are better than PSN as PSN gets deals better than Xbox.
---
http://tinyurl.com/munz2mb
#5beautifuldreamsPosted 7/23/2013 9:00:12 PM
as they're competitors, sometimes PS3 & Steam will target & undercut microsoft deals
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#6DrFeelgood1984Posted 7/23/2013 9:15:00 PM
PSN also has "free" games that people might actually want to play. Like Battlefield 3 and Sleeping Dogs. XBOX kicked theirs off with a tower defense game no one cares about. They both have their pros and cons though. Microsoft has had 2 pretty damn good sales recently that have me buried in games I have no time to play.
#7Boogs34Posted 7/23/2013 9:18:22 PM
Higher demand for xbox games
#8Mr_Burgener(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 10:25:29 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Didn't you already make this topic 3 or 4 days ago?

No, I made a topic about a week ago because I got Arkham Asylum for $5 on PSN and saw the reduced price on XBL was $20...was confused because I thought that was Xbox's sale price. This time, they literally have the exact same games on sale at the exact same time, but Xbox is charging $10 more.
#9Mr_Burgener(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 10:27:51 PM
lostnumberwar posted...
PSN has never sold Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe for 4.99 Their best sale for that game was 9.99.
Borderlands 2 had a one day sale on Xbox Live for 9.99 the best sale price on PSN was 19.99.
We also got sales on Mass Effect, Bulletstorm, Dragon Age Origins and Crysis for 4.99.
There were also several 2.99 titles.
Xbox gets just as many deals that are better than PSN as PSN gets deals better than Xbox.

I could go into the countless number of games that I get for free on PSN, but I'm not going to waste my time.

And it's not WE versus THEM. I have both systems and play both systems. I'm just saying, playstation almost always has better deals as far as what I'm interested in.

In this case, they have the exact same games for sale at the exact same time, and xbox is twice the cost. That's messed up.
#10Mr_Burgener(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 10:34:52 PM
DrFeelgood1984 posted...
PSN also has "free" games that people might actually want to play. Like Battlefield 3 and Sleeping Dogs. XBOX kicked theirs off with a tower defense game no one cares about. They both have their pros and cons though. Microsoft has had 2 pretty damn good sales recently that have me buried in games I have no time to play.

I'll be honest, I was really surprised when I saw the Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Bulletstorm sale...if I didn't already have them all I'd have been all over it.

I was hoping that they were going to continue with that trend, but after checking the last couple weeks and seeing garbage again I've pretty much given up.